Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 273085 times)

Offline kenlon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • k
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #495 on: May 06, 2020, 02:46:36 PM »
True, but keep in mind that every auto-refresh of an open window adds a little bit of time to the execution of auto-turns.
Unless Steve can refactor it so that auto-refreshing only happens after auto-turns is interrupted.

Now that it's not using VB6 anymore, updating open window contents really shouldn't be that expensive in CPU time, in theory. It's possible that something about how Steve has written the display code under the hood will make it problematic to implement, though with no way to look at the source we can only guess.

It would be really nice to have the option to make things update, maybe with a little warning when you first set the option that it may add a small amount of time to turns?

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #496 on: May 06, 2020, 09:37:15 PM »
True, but keep in mind that every auto-refresh of an open window adds a little bit of time to the execution of auto-turns.
Unless Steve can refactor it so that auto-refreshing only happens after auto-turns is interrupted.

Now that it's not using VB6 anymore, updating open window contents really shouldn't be that expensive in CPU time, in theory. It's possible that something about how Steve has written the display code under the hood will make it problematic to implement, though with no way to look at the source we can only guess.

It would be really nice to have the option to make things update, maybe with a little warning when you first set the option that it may add a small amount of time to turns?

I notice a very big difference in auto-turn speed when I have the econ window open, starting from turn 1.
And I'm not running it on a potato.

So I always close the econ window before starting auto-turns, unless I have a known interrupt coming soon.

Now that the Navy Org window is auto-refreshed with each increment, I close it as well.

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #497 on: May 07, 2020, 03:24:10 AM »
Separate event type "Commander health" to different ones:
1) "Commander health" (non-fatal)
and
2) "Commander death"

Because the is no need to react to 1st sub-type, while 2nd sub-type demands players choice of new commander.

The following users thanked this post: TMaekler, smoelf, skoormit

Offline davidr

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #498 on: May 07, 2020, 06:17:45 AM »
Would it be possible to add a conditional order to Standing Orders for deployment time so that when a vessel is within say 1 or 2 months of its anticipated deployment period an automatic condition could kick in sending the vessel back to a colony for overhaul.

DavidR

The following users thanked this post: serger

Offline dlathro1

• Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #499 on: May 07, 2020, 07:42:23 AM »
I have three requests for the naval organization window:

1) A button to delete empty fleets, similar to the button to delete empty colonies
2) Have the fleets sorted by the system they are in.  When I have a lot of fleets and I want to find one I usually know what system it is in, but it gets lost in the list of 20+ fleets in the window.
3) Have an order for all parasite ships within the fleet to dock with their assigned mothership.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #500 on: May 07, 2020, 08:18:41 AM »
It would be neat to have some sort of marker in the dropdown list of systems in the mineral search view to indicate which systems contain either normal or populated colonies. It could be either color or a '(C)' after the system's name. That way it will be much easier to quickly find and search those systems which are of interest. Especially since remembering which Luyten I have a colony in can be a bit of a pain.

I'm surprised there isn't -- certainly VB Aurora's mineral report differentiated between bodies with colonies an those without.

- - - - -

Re Luyten:
Turn off Known Stars.  One of my three biggest complaints about it is the proliferation of a small handful of names.  Fifteen Wolfs and twelve Glieses, etc.

Use a naming theme for systems --  not for 'realism' within your fiction but for information control.  Use Roman for everything through the first JP, French for the second JP chain, and Spanish for the third, or something like that.  A coherent naming theme tells you where each system is if done right.

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #501 on: May 07, 2020, 08:45:25 AM »
I'm surprised there isn't -- certainly VB Aurora's mineral report differentiated between bodies with colonies an those without.

- - - - -

Re Luyten:
Turn off Known Stars.  One of my three biggest complaints about it is the proliferation of a small handful of names.  Fifteen Wolfs and twelve Glieses, etc.

Use a naming theme for systems --  not for 'realism' within your fiction but for information control.  Use Roman for everything through the first JP, French for the second JP chain, and Spanish for the third, or something like that.  A coherent naming theme tells you where each system is if done right.

Well, in the list of bodies it does differentiate with a (C) next to those bodies with colonies on them, but it would be nice to extend it to system selection.

Agreed on known stars. I usually alternate between known and un-known stars, but when using known stars, I find that the game loses a lot of flavor if I use naming themes, even if it makes it harder to keep sane. Although information control is nice (and a good point), at that point I might as well play with un-known stars if I can't readily identify Barnards' Star, Alpha Centauri and Altair.

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #502 on: May 07, 2020, 08:50:10 AM »
Add a pair of settings of species description:
1) Age of commission (AOC).
2) Age of retirement (AOR).

To give player some flexibility for designing fantastic races and/or managing plausibility of human race in their campaigns.

Calculate tour length (time between auto-promotion checks) as AOR - AOC / quantity of ranks.

The following users thanked this post: UberWaffe

Offline serger

• Commodore
« Reply #503 on: May 07, 2020, 09:09:14 AM »
Set default option of position types for Ground Force Commanders in Commanders window to "Ground Forces" (not "Academy commandant").

Offline Eretzu

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
« Reply #504 on: May 07, 2020, 09:28:16 AM »
When prototyping a anti missile fighter, i ended up creating like 10 prototypes.

It would be nice, that if a prototype is not in use, then making it obsolete would just delete it instead.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage, amram, JuergenSchT

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #505 on: May 07, 2020, 09:48:45 AM »
Add a pair of settings of species description:
1) Age of commission (AOC).
2) Age of retirement (AOR).

To give player some flexibility for designing fantastic races and/or managing plausibility of human race in their campaigns.

Sounds great!

Calculate tour length (time between auto-promotion checks) as AOR - AOC / quantity of ranks.

Sounds terrible!  This should be a box in which we can specify a number of years (or months) like it was in VB Aurora.

Offline Disguy

• Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #506 on: May 07, 2020, 11:34:51 AM »
I have been thinking of doing a campaign where you start with (virtually) nothing but there really isn't any in-game method of doing this. I would like some "rebuilding" civ tech or structure which is highly inefficient. If you have no construction factories I am not aware of how to RP them starting from scratch. I guess you could spawn some Construction Squads but you would need a huge quantity just to build anything.

If ground forces are the only way to do it. It would be nice to have miners, fuel harvesters etc duplicated in troop rolls.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #507 on: May 07, 2020, 11:49:50 AM »
You could use Conventional Industry, it is not very effective.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #508 on: May 07, 2020, 11:53:10 AM »
Separate event type "Commander health" to different ones:
1) "Commander health" (non-fatal)
and
2) "Commander death"

Because the is no need to react to 1st sub-type, while 2nd sub-type demands players choice of new commander.
And then only if the commander was assigned somewhere.  If they were surplus then there is no reason to interrupt.

The following users thanked this post: mike2R, smoelf, serger

Offline serger

• Commodore
« Reply #509 on: May 07, 2020, 12:48:27 PM »

Sounds terrible!  This should be a box in which we can specify a number of years (or months) like it was in VB Aurora.
I have already proposed it in appropriate tread.
But it can be (AOR-AOC)/QOR by default, if a player haven't specified it manually.