Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 345420 times)

Xkill, db48x and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline ChubbyPitbull

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1740 on: May 11, 2021, 12:00:22 PM »

Replacements are only taken from a formation which is marked "Use for Replacements" with the checkbox in the ground forces window. However, if you were to mark the Mark 2 regiment as used for replacements, and a Mark 1 regiment needed replacements due to combat losses, the Mark 2 infantry would be used to replace those losses.

Reference Steve's dev post here: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11593.msg140370#msg140370

Perfect, thanks for the link! Reviewed and made the new templates. I've been going through and manually changing the replacement template for each formation to the new series. Sadly, it seems as though checking the "Update all formations with same replacement template" box has no effect; checking that box and updating one "Infantry Regiment" has no effect on any other Infantry Regiments that were also using the same replacement template at the time.

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #1741 on: May 11, 2021, 05:32:57 PM »
While excavating some alien ruins, and I found a couple nice jump engines, bigger than what I have developed myself.

How do I go about using these in a class design?

Offline Lord Solar

• See above
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Everlasting Glory to the Imperium
  • Discord Username: Lord Solar
« Reply #1742 on: May 11, 2021, 09:00:57 PM »
While excavating some alien ruins, and I found a couple nice jump engines, bigger than what I have developed myself.

Check off show alien components

Offline villaincomer

• Petty Officer
  • v
« Reply #1743 on: May 12, 2021, 06:07:51 AM »
Mind blown.   
In the Galactic Map you can right click on systems to view systems or fleets which can then be left clicked. . .  which. . .  opens up the corresponding page for that object (fleet management/colony summary)

Sharing in case someone finds it useful  :)

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #1744 on: May 12, 2021, 06:58:33 AM »

Help me out...where is that, exactly?

Offline ChubbyPitbull

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #1745 on: May 12, 2021, 08:17:20 AM »

Help me out...where is that, exactly?

Look at the bottom left of the "Miscellanous" tab in the Class Design Window with your ship class that will use the alien tech selected.

The following users thanked this post: skoormit

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1746 on: May 12, 2021, 12:58:11 PM »
How do you set-up a 'divided planet' scenario where America, the EU, China, and Russia are all separate countries on earth?

How well does it work and how easy is it then to 'unite' the world'?

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #1747 on: May 12, 2021, 04:38:09 PM »
How do you set-up a 'divided planet' scenario where America, the EU, China, and Russia are all separate countries on earth?

Create multiple human factions with SM, each one can have a colony on the same body.
As to your second point, I don't know enough beyond "it depends" and if they are all controled by the player, "a lot of work".
Some of the AARs posted have multiple factions on Earth, but I don't recall any in which the planet gets united.

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
« Reply #1748 on: May 12, 2021, 08:50:44 PM »

Create multiple human factions with SM, each one can have a colony on the same body.
As to your second point, I don't know enough beyond "it depends" and if they are all controled by the player, "a lot of work".
Some of the AARs posted have multiple factions on Earth, but I don't recall any in which the planet gets united.

I have done this once in the C# era, all I did was use SM to add installations, population and resource stockpiles to the "amalgamating" race and deleted the "amalgamated" race.  I ignored commanders & researchers and scrapped all ships and components.  Not perfect but good enough.
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1749 on: May 13, 2021, 11:27:14 AM »

Easiest way is to have all four at game start - you can decide the number of factions when creating the game.

Make sure to use the same species for them otherwise they will be different 'humans' - the game creates a second human species for the second faction and a third human species for the third faction and so on, unless you specifically change it to the first human species each time. Changing the portrait of the first human species to something different from the default portrait helps make sure of it. This means that colonists from each faction can reside in the same colonies as different species normally require different colonies even when on the same body, which makes management a total pain.

Decide on the amount of installations and population beforehand - game gives you default numbers based on population amount and how much you decide to start with will influence the game massively, as well as whether you're starting Conventional or TN. The former is easier as you need less setup work but it can take a long time until exciting stuff starts happening. I've never done latter but bunch of other people have and it takes loads of work to start but gets to blowing up ships quicker. Naturally the balance/style/spirit of the campaign changes drastically between the two. Especially if you want the factions to have colonies around the Sol system.

Remember to adjust the amount of minerals on Earth. To be safe, just double everything at start and you can then use SM to adjust it later if necessary. You might need to use SM to make sure that more than 1 gas giant has Sorium in it unless you want to play with everyone putting their harvesters in the same spot.

I haven't united Earth in C# yet so I'm not sure how much the game does for you. In VB6 we had to do it all manually in the same vein as ZimRathbone said, though it was possible to transfer ships and commanders too. Try it out and report back on all issues and how it goes!

I've been toying with the idea myself, of having a conventional campaign with multiple factions on Earth where the first stage is a 100% ground campaign between a bunch of superpowers since Steve added multiple conventional armor types.

Offline davidr

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #1750 on: May 14, 2021, 05:06:10 AM »
Does anything other than Ships with weapons , provide PPV value to colonies ?

I have a colony on Luna with currently 6 Military ships each providing 12 PPV ( total 72) for colony defense. Luna has , at present , 89m inhabitants who demand level 55 protection.

I am loath to keep cranking out these vessels to provide protection to Luna ( the max inhabitants can be 890m which will mean an awful number of vessels for protection.).

Besides placing army units on the planet ( I already have 1 Battalion in place showing 20/52 - whatever that means ) what else can i do to save on the number of ships ( which are useless anyway , each having only 2-20cm Plasma carronades.

DavidR

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #1751 on: May 14, 2021, 07:20:54 AM »
Does anything other than Ships with weapons , provide PPV value to colonies ?

I have a colony on Luna with currently 6 Military ships each providing 12 PPV ( total 72) for colony defense. Luna has , at present , 89m inhabitants who demand level 55 protection.

I am loath to keep cranking out these vessels to provide protection to Luna ( the max inhabitants can be 890m which will mean an awful number of vessels for protection.).

Besides placing army units on the planet ( I already have 1 Battalion in place showing 20/52 - whatever that means ) what else can i do to save on the number of ships ( which are useless anyway , each having only 2-20cm Plasma carronades.

DavidR

The PPV requirement can only be met by ships with weapons.

That said, they don't have to be good ships.
In fact, they don't even have to be functional.
The population you are providing protection to is not making a thorough assessment of each ship's fighting capability.
The only thing that matters for PPV is the number of weapons--and those weapons don't even have to be able to fire.
A missile launcher without missiles? That works!
An energy weapon without a power plant? That works!
No fire control? Who cares? Show me the guns!
Minimal armor on the thing? So what, as long as it has weapons! Pew-pew!

So, while you can't just ignore providing PPV entirely, you can spend a lot less to provide it by building ships with unfirable weapons.
And if you keep them under 500t, you don't even need a shipyard.
Side bonus: all these little ships give your junior officers something to "command".

Here's a simple example:

Code: [Select]
PewPew class Populace Protector      339 tons       18 Crew       8.1 BP       TCS 7    TH 0    EM 0
1 km/s      Armour 1-4       Shields 0-0       HTK 2      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 0      PPV 6
Maint Life 0 Years     MSP 0    AFR 67%    IFR 0.9%    1YR 1    5YR 15    Max Repair 6 MSP
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   
Intended Deployment Time: 0 days    Morale Check Required   

10cm C1 Infrared Laser (2)    Range 0km     TS: 1,250 km/s     Power 3-1     RM 10,000 km    ROF 15       
This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and planetary interaction
This design is classed as a e for auto-assignment purposes

This is just two of the smallest lasers bolted onto a hull, with nothing else (other than the required armor and crew quarters).
The deployment time is .001, because it's meant to always be in a hangar or at a maintenance location.

So, for 8.1BP you get 6 PPV.

Unfortunately, adding a third laser takes the size to 501 tons, which would then require a shipyard to produce.
If you don't mind using a shipyard, then put 6 lasers on this guy and you get 18PPV for 21BP.
That's a slightly better deal, but in my opinion not worth a dedicated yard--in the long run, you don't really need that much PPV.

The following users thanked this post: davidr

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #1752 on: May 14, 2021, 08:18:35 AM »
Just to clarify: 1HS (50 tons) of weapon component in a star system gives 1 PPV. Doesn't matter if it's 2x 10cm lasers of 150t each or 1x 20cm laser that's 300t.

I have a full moon (890m pop) with 58 militancy (pretty average) wanting 516 PPV from me. That's around 40% of that empire's current navy, roughly 200k tons of good, functional warships.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1753 on: May 14, 2021, 09:10:27 AM »
...in the long run, you don't really need that much PPV.

This is completely false. PPV requirements will increase exponentially because as populations get larger, their growth will also accelerate. This can become a real problem if you have an extra solar colony with 10bn+ capacity as you'll need tons of military equipment to meet the demand.

I think at a certain point it becomes easier to just use ground forces to counter the PPV unrest.

Offline Warer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1754 on: May 14, 2021, 10:57:49 AM »
Do mines work in 1.13?