Author Topic: v2.0.0 Changes Discussion Thread  (Read 124972 times)

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: v1.14.0 Changes Discussion Thread
« Reply #765 on: May 14, 2022, 10:05:12 PM »
I'm lifting this question from the twelve colonies thread as I think it fits this thread quite well:

Question:
What would happen if a player would try to capture the raider ship by boarding, but before that happen raider ship would transit to their home system. Then the marines take the ship. Can they get back or are they stranded in the raider system?

What interactions could result from this inadvertent intrusion into what should be an inaccessible system?

The following users thanked this post: Kiero

Offline Gabrote42

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
  • Waiting until I have the Time to play.
« Reply #766 on: May 19, 2022, 04:42:57 PM »
I'm lifting this question from the twelve colonies thread as I think it fits this thread quite well:

Question:
What would happen if a player would try to capture the raider ship by boarding, but before that happen raider ship would transit to their home system. Then the marines take the ship. Can they get back or are they stranded in the raider system?

What interactions could result from this inadvertent intrusion into what should be an inaccessible system?
You probably wouldn't be able to do much without SM there (even with construction equipment, if it even has planets), but unless the system is coded to be impossible to open in system view or instakill any intruders you could have the ship act as a low-thermal spy if you lower engine output and burn away, to give you force asessments before maint failure kills it. Aside from that, not much I can think of.
Everyone asks me why I like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  In actuality, my username predates my knowledge of the books.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #767 on: May 22, 2022, 02:25:20 PM »

Question:

The Raider home system is just like any other system, except it doesn't have any jump points and you can't link to it via a dormant jump point. If you captured a ship after it returned, you would be in the Raider system and see all the Raider ships currently in that system, but you wouldn't be able to leave. You could attack and cause some havoc, or just monitor traffic in and out if you manage to stay undetected.

The following users thanked this post: Black, Kiero, gpt3

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #768 on: May 23, 2022, 05:46:21 AM »

Question:

The Raider home system is just like any other system, except it doesn't have any jump points and you can't link to it via a dormant jump point. If you captured a ship after it returned, you would be in the Raider system and see all the Raider ships currently in that system, but you wouldn't be able to leave. You could attack and cause some havoc, or just monitor traffic in and out if you manage to stay undetected.

I know that this is not something we should do, but it got me curious. Does it mean you could add jump points to the system with SM mode and link it that way? And then conduct invasion? Would that prevent spawning of new Raiders?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #769 on: May 23, 2022, 06:33:47 AM »

Question:

I know that this is not something we should do, but it got me curious. Does it mean you could add jump points to the system with SM mode and link it that way? And then conduct invasion? Would that prevent spawning of new Raiders?

Theoretically you could invade by creating an SM Link. It wouldn't stop raider production as that is done 'off-map' rather than via shipyards, so I don't have to add exploration, mining, etc. The raiders are simplified in that regard because there isn't expected to be combat in their home system.

The following users thanked this post: Black

Offline Kiero

• Bronze Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • In space no one can hear you scream.
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #770 on: May 23, 2022, 02:40:25 PM »
Maybe that's a cool idea.
Make a mechanic of finding a raider system, wipe them out, and have a few calm years? Then they respawn...

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #771 on: July 04, 2022, 06:53:38 AM »
Whoa, that's a lot of nice changes!

Offline Blogaugis

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #772 on: July 12, 2022, 04:48:51 AM »
Well, at least ground-based terraforming installations finally getting their side of usefulness...
Water on various worlds also seems nice.
So, good terraforming tweaks.

Online nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #773 on: July 14, 2022, 08:16:26 AM »
Can the new hostility modifier be a negative number if we want to roleplay as peaceniks?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #774 on: July 14, 2022, 08:18:16 AM »
Can the new hostility modifier be a negative number if we want to roleplay as peaceniks?

Yes.

The following users thanked this post: Black, TMaekler, Kiero, DEEPenergy, Warer, nuclearslurpee

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #775 on: July 15, 2022, 01:52:38 AM »
Is it possible that racial attributes change over time as a consequence of in game actions? Times of peace and prosperity could make a society more diplomatic and mercantile, while harsher times lead to empires being more militaristic.

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #776 on: July 15, 2022, 09:17:28 AM »
Understand black holes to be without planets but is there a possibility for asteroids or comets?

Online nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #777 on: July 15, 2022, 09:42:41 AM »
Is it possible that racial attributes change over time as a consequence of in game actions? Times of peace and prosperity could make a society more diplomatic and mercantile, while harsher times lead to empires being more militaristic.

You can do this yourself by modifying the attributes of your race(s) in response to game events if you want to. I'd rather not see a game mechanic that assumes roleplay here - who's to say that "harsher times" don't make an empire less miltaristic as people don't want to compound their problems with the horrid specter of war, for example?

The following users thanked this post: Warer, gpt3

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #778 on: July 16, 2022, 02:57:07 AM »
Understand black holes to be without planets but is there a possibility for asteroids or comets?
Or as an addition to the question: Can the possible accompanying stars still have planets, asteroids and the like?
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #779 on: July 16, 2022, 06:08:33 AM »
Or as an addition to the question: Can the possible accompanying stars still have planets, asteroids and the like?

Yes, they can. I am considered allowing asteroids around the black hole as well, but haven't decided yet.

The following users thanked this post: Vandermeer, gpt3