C# Fiction > Stormtrooper's Fiction

Time's End comments thread

(1/13) > >>

Stormtrooper:
Hi everyone,

1.13 is out, so what a lovely moment to start a new AAR. This one will be much shorter than my previous one and also the updates will be less frequent because I'm busy, but will try my best to make it good enough. In this post I'm going to briefly describe the rules and setting from the non-narrative perspecrive:

First of all, this AAR is supposed to act as a DLC to my previous one, so make sure you have read the previous one. Or at least skimmed through it. The DLC will follow the rise of Groaxians, an alien race discovered by humanity in my previous AAR in the NN 4079 system when it was still in tribal stage and gifted with a monolith containing human knowledge database once humanity ascended into five-dimensional space at the end of previous AAR. The starting system will be a faithful recreation of NN 4079 from my previous campaign..

Rules:

* 200% difficulty
* random stars - aliens wouldn't use human-based charts and names, right? also that way I can set things in a way to hopefully allow for more local jump points to get many loops within galaxy map rather than separate branches that barely cross with each other
* 50% terraforming (so it'll be a bit slower even if I'd push terraforming tech)
* 100% research (I don't want to lower it because groaxians are very intelligent species, however for the sake of gameplay I won't increase it, even though lore-wise I actually should)
* 10% survey, that way colonisation will be more meaningful while significantly slowing down my expansion so it won't get overhwelming too fast
* Groaxians are rather pacifistic, so I'll tone down military development unless absolutely neccessary
* Groaxians, as described in the intro, strive to maintain "inner peace" and thus need large living space with lots of nature around, so population density modifier is set to 0.3 - hopefully making colonising even more meaningful
* maintenance is on (maybe this time gallicite will work... ::))
* all jump points are stable - this is because I noticed nprs don't use jump drives at all and stabilise everything instead, which can make detecting and defending from them too easy, so I want to give them more "movememnt freedom" by pre-stabilising everything
* as a house rule related to above, in order not to make jump drives obsolete, every ship I want to go FTL will need either its own jump drive or to dock within a jump-capable vessel. No jump tenders either, just a simple "if you want to go superluminal, you need to have an FTL drive"
* just like in my previous AAR, no jump points would exist lore-wise. Gameplay-wise I'm still limited by them, but as far as narrative goes, if you have an FTL drive you can fly whenever you want from any point you want as long as you have supplies, time and navigation systems to make the journey
Also note that in the intro I casually threw some terms that were not explained at all, for example what exactly is a "hibernation cycle". This is intentional, this AAR is written from Groaxians' POV, so for them it is quite obvious what a "hibernation cycle" is, so I want to keep it this way so it can be more immersive. All these terms will be gradually explained, though, so don't worry you don't understand something for now. Another reason is that since this is not human playthrough, I will attempt to create something unique and alien, so that hopefully Groaxians won't be too human-like. But inventing their entire biology, culture, societal sctucture, philosophy, economy and all that at once would be way too overwhelming for me (and probably for readers too), so I want to do it gradually.

I think that's all, hope you'll enjoy.[/list]

nuclearslurpee:
I look forward to following this one a bit more closely than the last! Already I can tell this will be very interesting, not only are you playing a nonhuman race in a non-Sol starting system, but humanity is present only as an ascended species so the whole lore will be unique I expect. Humanity as a guiding light si a new perspective to me.

I look forward to seeing how 10% survey works for you. With the need for an extensive survey fleet you have a lot of creativity in how to accomplish it.

FWIW, NPRs actually do use jump drives but usually prefer to stabilize everything anyways...I guess it is to make colonization and trade easier. Requiring a jump drive on every large ship that wants to travel by FTL will be interesting though.

--- Quote ---And yet, if Dark Forest was real, how come that Humanity shared their knowledge with Groaxians instead of wiping them out? But if Dark Forest wasn't real, how come Humanity put such a great effort to explain it, and on top of that do so in a way that'd make Groaxians learn about it just as they began drawing sketches of pioneer space programs? Since both assumptions seemed to be false, a third one has been established: there's more to it, something yet undiscovered, buried deep within the encodings of Humanity's gift.
--- End quote ---

Intriguing plot hook with philosophical implications to explore. How the Groaxians answer these questions will shape them as a race - and perhaps along the way they will discover how humanity answered these questions as well?

I'm also curious about the methane vs oxygen breathing. I didn't know this was possible in C#, for one thing, but I also wonder how hard this will make finding new planets to colonize.

Stormtrooper:
Oh right, I forgot to mention methane thing. Metahne breathers are still not there in the C#, so I had to use oxygen instead. That third planet in NN 4079 from previous campaign had nitrogen-methane atmosphere so Groaxians are methane breathers lore-wise. Gameplay wise I'm going to treat their oxygen pressure as methane pressure and thus when terraforming I'll do so as if they were methane breathers gameplay-wise and later will simply use sm to swap methane for oxygen and add aesthusium since methane is a greenhosue gas and swapping it for oxygen affects temperature. This is as close as I can get without methane breathers being implemented in C#.

--- Quote ---they will discover how humanity answered these questions as well?
--- End quote ---

Well, my previous AAR already answered them all, here since it's a DLC I'll just expand upon it more I guess.

nuclearslurpee:

--- Quote from: Stormtrooper on April 25, 2021, 08:15:55 AM ---Oh right, I forgot to mention methane thing. Metahne breathers are still not there in the C#, so I had to use oxygen instead. That third planet in NN 4079 from previous campaign had nitrogen-methane atmosphere so Groaxians are methane breathers lore-wise. Gameplay wise I'm going to treat their oxygen pressure as methane pressure and thus when terraforming I'll do so as if they were methane breathers gameplay-wise and later will simply use sm to swap methane for oxygen and add aesthusium since methane is a greenhosue gas and swapping it for oxygen affects temperature. This is as close as I can get without methane breathers being implemented in C#.

--- End quote ---

For bonus immersion you can swap the gas names in the DB. The DIM_Gases table has all the gas names and if you can tolerate mild physical incongruities you can just change the name and symbol while leaving the physical properties alone.

--- Quote ---
--- Quote ---they will discover how humanity answered these questions as well?
--- End quote ---

Well, my previous AAR already answered them all, here since it's a DLC I'll just expand upon it more I guess.

--- End quote ---

Of course, but in this AAR we have the perspective of the Groaxians.They will likely have very different answers to these paramount questions of existence compared to humanity, and will only discover humanity's history through limited means. There is potential for limited information to cause cultural misunderstanding as well as ideological conflicts.

nuclearslurpee:
Fascinating developments in this one. On one hand, the determination of the Groaxians is clear in their willingness to seek adaptation to survive in space and on alien worlds. On the other hand the controversy over terraforming technology promises to remain a thorn for some time. The present solution for Yatune is a good one (not least because at this early stage terraforming will take a long time until the technology is improved is an unproven technology that cannot be relied on for a budding space program), but future planets will present similar exotic ecosystems - should they all be preserved? I suspect some will say so.

Spoiler comment: I notice that the race picture looks like the one used for Rakhas by default. I wonder if this will tie in with some mysterious larger secret of the universe when the Groaxians discover their first Rakhas encampment?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

It appears that you have not registered with Aurora 4x. To register, please click here...
There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version