Author Topic: Future Version Suggestions  (Read 1230 times)

Offline James Patten (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • J
Future Version Suggestions
« on: December 15, 2009, 06:21:36 AM »
I'm still on v4.26 because I really wanted to get somewhere in my universe, rather than playing for a few game years then giving up because a new version came along.

I created an alien race, and this race just happened to start in a nebula.  I knew that in nebulai one type of weapon didn't work, but didn't have anything in front of me to tell me.  So I figured the beam weapons wouldn't work, so I built my ships heavily into missiles and very little beam technology, and only in a recent decade started researching beam weapons as we got outside the nebula and discovered new properties of physics.

Then I recently learned here that it's MISSILES that don't work in nebulas, which completely threw my naval doctrine on its head.

So I'm requesting some kind of situational awareness when it comes to research in a nebula.  Since missiles don't work, I should have only had ICBM technology or some other kind of missile theory but that's it.  And to make it fair, some sort of small discount on researching beam weapons.  I shouldn't even be able to research missiles unless its on a non-nebula planet.

Or allow missiles to work, but only if they are heavily armored so that they can move.  Or they work, but after a turn or two of movement self destruct because of whatever property in the nebula keeps the speed down (this means non-nebula races would encounter nasty surprises the first time they try fighting in a nebula).

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Future Version Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 07:35:36 AM »
If memory serves correctly.... slow armored missiles do work.  Not very effectively though.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
Re: Future Version Suggestions
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 04:13:54 AM »
Meson and Cynetic-RAILGUN run perfectly on Nebula.

ive a Railgun very Fast Craft project on my book