Author Topic: FAQ Organization?  (Read 1269 times)

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
FAQ Organization?
« on: January 23, 2010, 12:52:24 PM »
Hi All,

Not sure which board is best to put this on, so here it is....

After getting a PM blessing from Steve, I started posting into the FAQ board today.  The organization scheme I was trying to use was to organize things into general topics, e.g. Display Problems, and have a separate thread for each topic, with specific questions/issues as posts in the thread.  I had originally thought of putting one question per thread, but realized that this would result in 5 pages of individual threads with no organization among them.

One concern I have with using a board for the FAQ is that it makes it hard for anyone but the original poster to change the information if it's wrong/evolves.  I don't know if even Erik can change the contents of a post, as opposed to deleting it or moving it around.  It seems like putting at least the contents of the FAQ into the wiki would make a lot more sense - I'm just not sure that new users would find things in the wiki.  Perhaps the best solution would be to organize the topics and questions as threads and posts in the FAQ board (as I've done), but have the answers simply be a link to a wiki article.  Another option would be to set up an FAQ category/portal/page in the wiki and just immediately direct people there.

I've added some of the issues that have been coming up over the last couple of weeks (mostly installation/getting started problems) into several threads.  Before I spend a lot more time putting content in, I thought it would be a good idea to see if people are in agreement with this general pattern, have a better idea of how we should do it, and/or if they think it would be better to move the FAQ information to the wiki.

Thanks,
John

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: FAQ Organization?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 01:23:37 PM »
If you notice up at the top, there is a row of links/buttons on the right side. One of these is FAQ. That is editable by an admin. The FAQ posts can easily be entered into that and used as a central repository, as well as into the wiki.

*edit*

A better idea would be to actually create an Aurora FAQ link and compile the FAQ into that.

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 05:00:23 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
If you notice up at the top, there is a row of links/buttons on the right side. One of these is FAQ. That is editable by an admin. The FAQ posts can easily be entered into that and used as a central repository, as well as into the wiki.
I'd forgotten that's there - I found it (after some looking).  It looks great, as long as there's a big flashing link to it in the actual boards that will catch people's eyes.  The downside is that it seems like it would put a burden on you (I don't see any other admins listed) to transfer stuff into the FAQ section, since mere mortals won't be able to write to it :-)  It also might be confusing to have the phpbb and Auror FAQ topics jumbled together in the same page - is there a way to create a parallel FAQ?
A better idea would be to actually create an Aurora FAQ link and compile the FAQ into that.

I'm not clear what you mean by "create an Aurora FAQ link" - are you saying to link to a similar FAQ, or to the wiki, or to somewhere else?

John

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 07:05:15 PM »
If you click the Rules link next to the FAQ, that's what I mean. I just need to remember how to add the link to the header without breaking the board (as some of you might have noticed around noon CST today).