Author Topic: Lagrange Waypoints  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Edward (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • E
Lagrange Waypoints
« on: May 11, 2010, 06:01:08 PM »
Hello, first time player and first time poster here, I was invited into this game by a friend and am gradually learning my way through it.

One of the first things I noticed though is that one cannot waypoint a planet's Lagrange point, like these.

I mean, ok, it's possible to waypoint the approximate area of an L-point (like the Earth-sun L5 for example), but as the Earth orbits the waypoint stays where it was.  It doesn't follow where the Lagrange point would be.

This led to another interesting suggestion... what about orbiting waypoints?   Set in orbit around planets or stars?   One could even set orbit resonances to moons or planets.   Like, 2 orbits of the Earth for 3 orbits of the waypoint around the sun, for example.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Lagrange Waypoints
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 12:53:26 AM »
Please read the "Where should I post?" FAQ (in the FAQ board), in particular the part that requests that people not start new threads in the suggestions (or bugs) board, but instead to use the "official" thread.

John

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Lagrange Waypoints
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 09:50:48 AM »
Quote from: "Edward"
Hello, first time player and first time poster here, I was invited into this game by a friend and am gradually learning my way through it.

One of the first things I noticed though is that one cannot waypoint a planet's Lagrange point, like these.

I mean, ok, it's possible to waypoint the approximate area of an L-point (like the Earth-sun L5 for example), but as the Earth orbits the waypoint stays where it was.  It doesn't follow where the Lagrange point would be.

This led to another interesting suggestion... what about orbiting waypoints?   Set in orbit around planets or stars?   One could even set orbit resonances to moons or planets.   Like, 2 orbits of the Earth for 3 orbits of the waypoint around the sun, for example.
A waypoint placed on a planet using the Last button will move with the planet. At the moment all other waypoints are fixed. An orbiting waypoint would theoretically be possible. I guess you would just specify what it was orbiting and perhaps an orbital speed. Your best bet is to post this in the suggestions thread though, or post in Academy first. With single post suggestions such as this I often read them and think "interesting suggestion" but I am not doing any programming at the moment so I don't act on them. When I log in again to the board, the post is no longer active and so it gets forgotten. However, I regularly revisit the suggestions thread. For new players, the Academy is often the best place to start though because more experienced players will be able to advise if the suggestion is something that has been discussed before or point out any downside, or perhaps suggest an alternative method to achieve the same thing.

Steve