Author Topic: New Hull Designations  (Read 7000 times)

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Re: New Hull Designations
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2021, 03:15:16 AM »
I use similar, called Timer.

It's a "fake" ship you ise with delayed orders to do some check. So every year for instance check commands, every 5 years check the logistic routes and ensure everything working properly. And so on.

It's in my notes for the next campaign with hull type name "Inspection Buoy" for better roleplay theme.

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2021, 03:15:42 AM »

It's a "fake" ship you ise with delayed orders to do some check. So every year for instance check commands, every 5 years check the logistic routes and ensure everything working properly. And so on.

Can you detail this a bit more please?
Sounds like something I'd like to have as well, however I don't understand how a ship can do these kinds of checks.

I think the idea is that you just set the ship up with some mundane order with time delay on it so that when the ship completes it's order, you're reminded that you need to do something like re-assign planetary governors, or naval administrators, etc..
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...

Offline Rook

• Petty Officer
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2021, 03:40:53 AM »
Huh. That's a nifty way to setup a reminder. Especially once the campaign progresses.

o7

Offline Gabrote42

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
  • Waiting until I have the Time to play.
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2021, 01:24:50 PM »

Can you detail this a bit more please?
Sounds like something I'd like to have as well, however I don't understand how a ship can do these kinds of checks.
It doesn't. What they mean is that they have a bare-bones fighter with a 365 days delayed Send Message(I think that's the name) order containing "Check commands, dude." and on repeat. They must have one for each kind of timer sitting above their homeworld, instead of using AuroraMarvin or similar apps for solving issues. As a bonus, you can scrap and rebuild them as tech improves if you want to reduce Maintenance usage or get a few free grade points.
Everyone asks me why I like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  In actuality, my username predates my knowledge of the books.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2021, 01:38:06 PM »
As a bonus, you can scrap and rebuild them as tech improves if you want to reduce Maintenance usage or get a few free grade points.

Actually you can build fighter-size craft with no engines which would be commercial vessels so they don't consume any MSP or fuel, and probably no commanders since you won't put any modules on them.

Offline brondi00

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • b
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2021, 09:12:24 PM »
As has been said, chronometer means, watch or timer.

I create a ship, always, for one purpose only.

I set it up early game.  One order.  Send message.  With an order delay.  Send message interrupts the auto turn cycle and puts a message in the event log. 

Order delay is in seconds.  It's trivial to calculate number of seconds until what you want.

I have a yearly one that reminds me to do my yearly checks, especially my commanders.  I'll put that in and then copy that order 3-4 times and then enter another send message with delay to hold elections in the gov sim.  Then once I have it set up how I want I out it on cycle orders and forget about it.

So right now I get reminded every year to check my set up, especially commanders, and then every 5 years I get a reminder to hold an election.

The following users thanked this post: Rook, alex_g

Offline kingflute

• Chief Petty Officer
  • k
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2021, 03:35:51 AM »
Quote from: brondi00 link=topic=12340. msg147102#msg147102 date=1611198744

I set it up early game.   One order.   Send message.   With an order delay.   Send message interrupts the auto turn cycle and puts a message in the event log.   

Order delay is in seconds.   It's trivial to calculate number of seconds until what you want.

I have a yearly one that reminds me to do my yearly checks, especially my commanders.   I'll put that in and then copy that order 3-4 times and then enter another send message with delay to hold elections in the gov sim.   Then once I have it set up how I want I out it on cycle orders and forget about it.

So right now I get reminded every year to check my set up, especially commanders, and then every 5 years I get a reminder to hold an election.
Thats a good idea, I might borrow that

Offline brondi00

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • b
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2021, 09:06:31 AM »
Quote from: brondi00 link=topic=12340. msg147102#msg147102 date=1611198744

I set it up early game.   One order.   Send message.   With an order delay.   Send message interrupts the auto turn cycle and puts a message in the event log.   

Order delay is in seconds.   It's trivial to calculate number of seconds until what you want.

I have a yearly one that reminds me to do my yearly checks, especially my commanders.   I'll put that in and then copy that order 3-4 times and then enter another send message with delay to hold elections in the gov sim.   Then once I have it set up how I want I out it on cycle orders and forget about it.

Thats a good idea, I might borrow that

I know it.  All my ideas are good ones.

(Just kidding: I'm taking the piss).

It wasn't even my idea.  I first heard it from someone years ago with vbr and stole it.  It works like a charm.

The following users thanked this post: Gabrote42

Offline Gabrote42

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
  • Waiting until I have the Time to play.
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2021, 06:48:18 PM »
As a bonus, you can scrap and rebuild them as tech improves if you want to reduce Maintenance usage or get a few free grade points.

Actually you can build fighter-size craft with no engines which would be commercial vessels so they don't consume any MSP or fuel, and probably no commanders since you won't put any modules on them.
Sorry. Thought Fighters couldn't be commercial for some reason.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 07:00:11 PM by Gabrote42 »
Everyone asks me why I like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  In actuality, my username predates my knowledge of the books.

Offline Shuul

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2021, 08:23:48 PM »
Umm, how can i add new designation to the game?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2021, 08:27:15 PM »
Sorry. Thought Fighters couldn't be commercial for some reason.

Since it's impossible to create a fighter-size engine that is commercial, this is generally true, so it's an easy mistake to make.

I first found this out when creating 125-ton sensor platforms for JP monitoring purposes. Since size 1 or smaller sensors are considered commercial components you can build a cheap sensor monitor with no maintenance cost.

Umm, how can i add new designation to the game?

In the class design window, click the "New Hull" button.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 08:29:11 PM by nuclearslurpee »

The following users thanked this post: Gabrote42

Offline alex_g

• Petty Officer
  • a
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2021, 02:02:50 AM »
Thanks for all the clarifications!
I'm going to have a Timer as well from now on, it's too often I forget an election should have happened a while ago.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2021, 11:30:32 PM »
I use the Pinnace designation for jump capable fighters that are used to probe new systems.

Survey Support Carrier is a small carrier designed to support survey operations with scouts and the capacity to drop (commercial) recon satellites.  It either has its own jump drive or is paired with a survey tender.

I had a fun class made possible only by salvaged components.  The 1000 ton Hunter class.  Salvaged beam fire control, salvaged 8 HS laser weapon.  Max boosted engine that was about 10% faster than the enemy beam parasite craft, and it outranged them significantly.  The Nimrod and the Rexxar took out roughly 20 times their mass without a casualty.

Had a number of beam parasite craft designs.  Philosophy was to run the enemy out of missiles, then use the Hunters to take out their empty missile ships.  Had some bean counters in charge of ordnance who wanted to use the minimum number of missiles to win, so missiles were reserved for those enemy beam ships that were a threat to my Hunters.

For a while in my empire, no armed ship had active sensors.  At first it was pure efficiency considerations, and then it became an anti-mutiny RP thing.  No single ship could pose any kind of threat by rebelling.  Then there was no armed ship that had active sensors would have its own jump drive.  But there was one ship class that had active sensor (capability) and its own jump drive.

The Lion Poker recon fighter.  It had a single reduced sized launcher, 2 HS for magazines, and it launched slow but very long ranged recon missiles with either active or passive sensors at planets with suspected enemy or spoiler bases.  Because the recon missiles included active sensors, it technically could launch the recon missile at a colony and then use regular missiles to target said colony.  But it was the only ship even theoretically capable of independent piracy.

Offline Foxxonius Augustus

• Chief Petty Officer
  • F
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2023, 11:32:21 PM »
This really deserves to be stickied somewhere. Here are some of my contributions.

High Endurance Cutter  HEC
Medium Endurance Cutter  MEC
Deep Space/System Patrol/Security Cutter  DSPC/DSSC/SPC/SSC

Mobile Suit  MS = Light ground support fighter
Mobile Armour  MA = Heavy ground support fighter
Mobile Suit Carrier MSC

Here is a weird one, I like to use the German spelling of corvette because a hull code of KK looks nice next to DDs and FFs.
Korvette  KK
Guided Missile Korvette  KKG

I am not sure if this is one of mine or default but hey I'll throw it in anyway.
Early Warning Craft  AEW
and alternates
Early Warning Craft  EWC
Spaceborne Early Warning Craft  SEW
Spaceborne Early Warning and Control Craft  SEWAC
Voidborne Early Warning Craft  VEW
Voidborne Early Warning and Control Craft  VEWAC

Offline Xanithas

• Chief Petty Officer
  • X
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2023, 11:23:11 AM »
This is a good post, these are my normal ones:

Jump Light Cruiser JCL
Missile Defence Light Cruiser CLG-D
Orbital Anchorage FB-A
Orbital Traffic Monitor ODB-L
Deep Space Defence Monitor ODB-H

Atmospheric Support Fighter FTR-AT
Atmospheric Fighter Bomber FB-AT
Ground Support Carrier CV-AT

Bulk Carrier FT-B (Anything with a large cargo bay)
Prisoner Transport CS-P (I have one of these follow around my fleet for post fleet battle survivor collection and.... *Ahem* interrogation)
Fast Freighter FFT (Freighters that move at standard fleet speed but generally have not a lot of cargo space, I use them to set up forward command posts for my fleet when on campaign)
Dry Cargo Ship T-AKE (My combo ammo and MSP replenishment ship)
Fleet Oiler T-AO (Carries fuel and supplies)

The following users thanked this post: Foxxonius Augustus