Author Topic: v2.1.1 Bugs Thread  (Read 38699 times)

Offline boolybooly

• Lieutenant
Re: v2.1.1 Bugs Thread
« Reply #150 on: April 09, 2023, 01:27:07 PM »
Situation is two S&R ships (Little Flower Groovey Baby Swift class) with 200 cryo each, giving 400 cryo fleet total, scooped 2 lifepod signs of NPC ally, total 327 survivors.

Instead of filling all cryo in fleet, the game put all survivors into one ship and none into the other, leading to the accommodation warnings, see screen and excess wear and deployment.

Expected behaviour would be to use all available cryo space in the fleet with the rescue order.

The following users thanked this post: StarshipCactus, LiquidGold2

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #151 on: April 10, 2023, 08:40:27 AM »
Situation is two S&R ships (Little Flower Groovey Baby Swift class) with 200 cryo each, giving 400 cryo fleet total, scooped 2 lifepod signs of NPC ally, total 327 survivors.

Instead of filling all cryo in fleet, the game put all survivors into one ship and none into the other, leading to the accommodation warnings, see screen and excess wear and deployment.

Expected behaviour would be to use all available cryo space in the fleet with the rescue order.
Known issue, supposed to be fixed in 2.2 if I remember correctly.

Actually I can't see a mention of it being fixed in the 2.2 changes post. I thought it was supposed to be fixed already but it might have been the bug where survivors were not placed into cryo at all.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 08:53:16 AM by Garfunkel »

The following users thanked this post: boolybooly

Offline boolybooly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #152 on: April 15, 2023, 02:19:35 PM »
here is a strange one

ECM2 was researchng on Earth.

Excavations turned up 13xECM2 on Lalande 21185 II. (unlucky for some)

if you disassemble the ECMs on Lalande it creates research points e.g. in the order of 3300 but these do not apply to the project on Earth.

If you then stop the project on Earth which was at this point at 3420/10000, the project then reverts to 6700/10000... on both Earth and Lalande.

If you reload and stop the project at Earth before disassembly on Lalande it remains at 3420. Whats more, if you restart the project on Lalande with a spare research lab and the same scientist who just stopped researching it, it continues from 3420 and if you disassemble the ECM 2s the points are applied to the project, which can even complete due to the points being applied if the RND factor favours it.

The second version is working as expected but the first version is not. The project tally should not revert to the 6700 on Earth because 3300 was deducted from 10000 on Lalande. Expected behaviour in that case would be the project continues from 3420 on Earth and 6700 on Lalande.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 02:30:02 PM by boolybooly »

Offline boolybooly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #153 on: April 19, 2023, 11:52:29 AM »
Has this already been reported?

If you have a railgun with 5.25 power requirement and a power plant with 5.26 power production, it should work right?

However if you put these together in a ship design you get a warning message because the power calc goes on the gun charge rate instead of the gun power requirement.

When designing a railgun you can only use intervals of 0.5 charge rate e.g. 5, 5.5, 6 , there is no 5.25 charge option. So the gun is using 5.25 power but has to be researched with charging at 5.5 to get RoF5.

However a 5.26 power plant should power it, so the error message is in error. Is that right? (I have never actually fired one of these things.)

Offline Density

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • D
« Reply #154 on: April 20, 2023, 09:53:10 AM »
Has this already been reported?

If you have a railgun with 5.25 power requirement and a power plant with 5.26 power production, it should work right?

However if you put these together in a ship design you get a warning message because the power calc goes on the gun charge rate instead of the gun power requirement.

When designing a railgun you can only use intervals of 0.5 charge rate e.g. 5, 5.5, 6 , there is no 5.25 charge option. So the gun is using 5.25 power but has to be researched with charging at 5.5 to get RoF5.

However a 5.26 power plant should power it, so the error message is in error. Is that right? (I have never actually fired one of these things.)

This is "working as designed." The warning messages on that screen are for the player, and won't prevent the ship from being built or the ship from operating as built. That particular message is telling you that the total power supplied is less than the total capacitor rates of the weapons. Since, in this case, you intentionally put a capacitor on the gun that is larger than the power needed to fire, and you know the power plant is supplying enough power, you can ignore that message and everything should work the way you expect it to. (And if it doesn't, that would be a completely different bug.)

Offline boolybooly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #155 on: April 22, 2023, 12:29:45 PM »
2.1.1 Function #1050: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

On selecting jump engine research design after researching minimum jump engine size 8.

This did not happen before researching minimum jump engine size 8.

I checked, by reloading previous saves. Research design defaulted to size 15 & 10 OK but not 8, when size is left blank and name not updated until you manually select a size.

SJW: Fixed for v2.2
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 04:15:40 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Jeltz

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #156 on: April 22, 2023, 07:10:54 PM »
2.1.1 Function #1050: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

On selecting jump engine research design after researching minimum jump engine size 8.

This did not happen before researching minimum jump engine size 8.

I checked, by reloading previous saves. Research design defaulted to size 15 & 10 OK but not 8, when size is left blank and name not updated until you manually select a size.

Yes, already reported here: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=13078.msg163104#msg163104 , or at least it seems to me the same problem  ;)

-J-

The following users thanked this post: boolybooly

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #157 on: May 04, 2023, 11:26:32 PM »
Fractional capacitor recharge rates do not seem to work for the High-Power Microwave weapons. Only integer values are used to determine the weapon ROF.

SJW: Fixed for v2.2
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 04:17:46 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #158 on: May 05, 2023, 01:43:09 AM »
I have a glitch in a VB6 game, and there doesn't seem to be an active thread for it.

For some reason, I can no longer place waypoints at all, neither in space nor at a body.  I used them earlier in the game for recon missiles, and I may have bugged it by removing waypoints that recon missiles were loitering at.  Is there a way to reset it so waypoints can be placed again?

SJW: I haven't worked on the VB6 version since 2016. I don't even have the VB6 code loaded on my current PC, so I won't be fixing bugs or creating new versions.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 04:24:40 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Snoman314

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #159 on: May 05, 2023, 04:11:10 PM »
I have a glitch in a VB6 game, and there doesn't seem to be an active thread for it.

For some reason, I can no longer place waypoints at all, neither in space nor at a body.  I used them earlier in the game for recon missiles, and I may have bugged it by removing waypoints that recon missiles were loitering at.  Is there a way to reset it so waypoints can be placed again?

May I gently suggest you try playing a non-obsolete version? There's not much point reporting bugs for a game that hasn't been worked on in over 3 years, right?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #160 on: May 05, 2023, 04:18:30 PM »
May I gently suggest you try playing a non-obsolete version? There's not much point reporting bugs for a game that hasn't been worked on in over 3 years, right?

To be fair, some people prefer the VB6 mechanics for some reasons or others, there's no problem with playing the old version.

However, Snoman is correct that this is not a VB6 bugs thread and Steve will not be working on any VB6 bugs, so there is no point in reporting any here.

Offline boolybooly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #161 on: May 17, 2023, 05:43:36 AM »
I know its holiday season and I am not trying to badger but felt it was my duty just to add this to the thread, having discussed it a bit in the questions not worth their own thread thread.

In an effort to save energy, I will just copy paste what I wrote there.

I have a strange situation in 2.1.1 where dragging a repair shipyard (default size 10,000) through a jump point using a tractor tug chain with one module between the tug and the SY, caused the SY to be recognised as a new race of the player species and triggered a new listing in the intelligence window named "civilians" with diplomacy rating 10,000 and all available checkboxes.

I am not sure what happened here. I dont allow civ construction yet in this game. Even if I did I would not expect a civ ship or structure to be treated as a separate race.

What I noticed before this happened was the shipyard when being towed by the middle module did not show in the ship listings but was itemised in the fleet info.
It is a bug even without a tug chain.
As mentioned before the game (2.1.1) created a new race "Civilians" when I tugged a repair shipyard through a JP, it declared they had been spotted as if an alien race and the intel window showed them with 10k diplomacy points and all race images identical to my player race.

Just now I ordered a troop drop on a precursor planet cleared of ships and the game gave the victory to them but the planet and its contents were transferred to Civilians, see screeny. Is that normal? Its my first invasion.

I ended up with two colonies on the same planet both named Iota Horologii IV after the planet, one marked with 2xDST and the other containing a ruined outpost and my troops. I was able to retrieve the troops and drop them in the 2xDST pop then delete the empty pop and the 2xDST pop showed the ruined outpost buildings so I didnt lose anything but am just confused about what happened?

Is this a bug?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 05:45:11 AM by boolybooly »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #162 on: May 18, 2023, 10:48:05 PM »
This is a frustrating NPR behavior which I've been going back and forth on whether it is a bug or merely an undesired behavior, but I think this is a poor enough game experience since v2.0, for reasons given below, that it should be considered a bug:

I've noticed in several instances that NPR ships/fleets which appear to have an objective set that requires them to go to a particular planet have a janky interaction if they detect a player ship or fleet at that planet which they deem sufficiently threatening, usually when hostilities exist between the two races. What happens is the following:
  • NPR ship on approach to the planet detects the player's ship or fleet.
  • NPR ship changes course to retreat.
  • NPR ship apparently "forgets" that they have a known contact for the player fleet at that planet.
  • NPR ship approaches the planet and detects player's ship or fleet.
  • Repeat ad infinitum.
This creates a situation where the player must either (1) attack and destroy, or at least chase off, the NPR ship, or (2) use short increments ad infinitum until the player is in a position to do (1). For various reasons, including roleplay, (1) may not be possible or desirable which forces the negative play experience of (2) unless the player prefers to use SM/DB means to resolve the issue. For example, in my current game this is occurring near a colony which is guarded by one ship, and while my knowledge of the NPR AI tells me that it is fine to go attack and destroy the other ship, in-character it wouldn't make sense to leave the planet unguarded in the face of a possible bait-and-switch trap, thus I am gritting my teeth and using automatic increments to advance time slowly but surely.

I have noticed this behavior in the past but it is significantly more common since the introduction of the Raiders in v2.0, as the Raider scouts absolutely love to do this kind of thing all the time, since they are naturally hostile to every other race and have rock-checking missions hardcoded into their AI. This leads me to seriously question if I want to play with Raiders active, simply because I don't enjoy having to pass between construction cycles using 5-minute increments. I have also noticed complaints about this phenomenon on the subreddit.

Note that if the player does not use a short increment, the NPR ship will at some point cover sufficient distance to reach the planet from "out of sensor range" in one big step, so just using a large increment is not a workaround.

My suggested fix is that NPRs should remember the sensor contact for the player's fleet for an appropriate amount of time (8 hours, 1 day, or 5 days all seem reasonable to me) and behave as if it expects there to be an enemy ship there, instead of getting surprised again every two increments. Alternatively or additionally, NPRs could increment their danger level for a system if they detect a player fleet and consider them hostile, which should eventually convince them to either retreat and try again somewhere else, or else commit a force to battle instead of dancing back and forth at the edge of sensor range.

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel, Scandinavian, Black, BAGrimm, Snoman314

Offline Snoman314

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #163 on: May 19, 2023, 01:38:39 AM »
This is a frustrating NPR behavior which I've been going back and forth on whether it is a bug or merely an undesired behavior, but I think this is a poor enough game experience since v2.0, for reasons given below, that it should be considered a bug:

AI dancing back and forth at the edge of sensor ranges, and at jump points (possibly also due to sensor coverage?), is really annoying. +1

Offline Xanithas

• Chief Petty Officer
  • X
« Reply #164 on: May 21, 2023, 08:12:40 PM »
Not sure if it has been reported here yet or if I am doing something wrong my occasionally my Naval admin command will switch their minimum rank requirements to Ground force ones and reassign ground force commanders, which naturally causes them to provide no bonus. I have seen this happen most often with a training type admin command and have been able to fix it by deleting the old one and remaking it but its still odd and requires me to constantly check to make sure things are working in my admin commands

SJW: Probably fixed for v2.2
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 09:27:54 AM by Steve Walmsley »