Author Topic: Corporate Federation - Comments  (Read 24683 times)

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Corporate Federation - Comments
« Reply #165 on: April 30, 2019, 09:30:06 AM »
I just want to say that this has been great.  Although I started my current campaign before I found yours, you've given me a lot of inspiration.  It's also provided a lot of insight (and feelings of dread) in terms of what to expect should I encounter an NPR that is bigger and badder than humanity.  Of course you are also quite a good storyteller, and that makes it ten times better.  I've really enjoyed following Admiral Foster's exploits and watching how humanity managed to hang on by the skin of its teeth.

I also really like how your ship designs tend to be multi-purpose affairs, and that even your Jump Tenders have teeth.  I feel that this is how proper military ships should be, as it gives then extra capability and character.  :)  But I digress; on the point of design I do have a question.  I've noticed that most of your main combat designs tend to have only 3-5 layers of armor.  Speaking solely for myself this is half of what I tend to run on equivalent designs, so I'd like to hear your philosophy on that issue.

Thank you for your kind words!  This campaign isn't over yet, I intend to take it out a little bit more then wrap it up, but I've been trying to form the Holy Roman Empire in Hearts of Iron 4 and that's been distracting me. 

In general, my "standard" design philosophy, which tends to creep into most of my campaigns, is for light ship types, DD's and CL's, to have light armor, max'ing out at around 5.  This is for several reasons, first, most of my campaigns tend to be a low to mid tech levels, which, to my mind, discourages heavy armor on all but the largest ships.  In addition, in my thoughts, the smaller ships prioritize speed and sensors over armor.  This campaign has gone in a direction that seriously affected the design strategy as well.  The Republic's Navy has succeeded largely because it was faster than the Dregluk, which mandated a fleet-speed of 5000-6000 kp/s, which at low to medium tech means relatively light armor to achieve the needed speed.  Speed is life!

In general, I tend to favor shields over armor in most cases, because shields regenerate and fixing armor means a time-consuming shipyard visit.  This is the mind-set that I brought over from Starfire, and while it gets modified by events in each campaign, it is the ideal that I tend to drift towards. 

Kurt

Offline HighTemplar

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • H
« Reply #166 on: May 09, 2019, 09:37:56 PM »
Just an update.  You may have noticed that I took a break from posting for a while.  This is largely related to my computers infection with a pernicious case of HOI4 that just doesn't seem to want to go away.  I'll probably be getting back to a more regular posting schedule now.  Probably.

Kurt

The case of HOI4 was worse than we feared.

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #167 on: May 10, 2019, 08:49:15 AM »
Just an update.  You may have noticed that I took a break from posting for a while.  This is largely related to my computers infection with a pernicious case of HOI4 that just doesn't seem to want to go away.  I'll probably be getting back to a more regular posting schedule now.  Probably.

Kurt

The case of HOI4 was worse than we feared.

It was a rather pernicious case.  Thought I shook it, but then I felt an overwhelming need to form the Holy Roman Empire and, well, I guess I lost some time there. 

I'm pretty well burned out at this point, so I'm taking some time to read and do some other things, then I'll be back to finish up this campaign.  I can feel the urge to write growing, but I need some down time first. 

Kurt

The following users thanked this post: Karlito, Garfunkel, Neophyte, King-Salomon

Offline HighTemplar

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • H
« Reply #168 on: June 02, 2019, 04:25:57 AM »
yay, it's back. I feel like a lot of Dregluk from prime are not going to make it to secundus. It is in the best interests of the federation to keep them alive though, they can help alleviate the worker shortage

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #169 on: July 24, 2019, 11:28:43 AM »
Hey Kurt, are you still interested in this campaign?

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #170 on: July 25, 2019, 09:57:07 AM »
Hey Kurt, are you still interested in this campaign?

Yes, I plan on finishing it out, but I've been having a bit of a problem getting back into it.  I am feeling the urge to finish this, though, so I'll probably start writing on this one again in the next week or so. 

I tend to totally immerse myself in my universes when I get them going, and once I'm out it's sometimes hard to get back in. 

I'm playing with the idea of running a Starfire campaign next, to bridge the time until Steve gets C# ready.  Aurora and Starfire campaigns have different 'feels' to them, and I've been working on a couple of backgrounds that might work better in Starfire.  We'll see. 

Kurt

The following users thanked this post: Karlito, Cavgunner, HighTemplar, punchkid, Vizzy