Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Questions  (Read 186779 times)

Offline obsidian_green

• Lieutenant
  • o
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Questions
« Reply #705 on: March 28, 2020, 09:33:56 AM »

2) How militarized your diplomatic ship is. If it's counted as a civilian ship and they aren't xenophobic enough to blast it from the sky for being a ship that's not theirs, there is no issue. The more militarized the ship however, the more problems it creates, and Planetary Protection Value is a stat that could be used to measure how militarized the ship is. I'd say that ship's PPV directly impacts your ability to talk peaceably with NPRs, but that more Militant NPRs are more willing to tolerate armed diplomatic ships so long as it doesn't get too ridiculous.

Good logic that might seem counter-intuitive. What's good for the goose ... or Minbari might find it suspicious if you don't show up with your "gun ports" open.

The inclusion of planet-poppers aside (I gave up opining about a lot of features since I won't know what I think until I play it),
how tectonically active it is is irrelevant.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #706 on: March 28, 2020, 12:10:07 PM »
IF NPR system count = 1
THEN diplo-ship penalty = 0
ELSE diplo-ship penalty = something

Combined with the size restriction, would work.

And hey, we still need space elevators too!

Offline Scandinavian

• Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #707 on: March 28, 2020, 01:52:23 PM »
From the change list:
NPRs will treat ships without detected military engines that have not demonstrated any weapon capability as 10% of the normal size when assessing their threat level
This should be commercial engines, surely?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #708 on: March 28, 2020, 01:54:37 PM »
From the change list:
NPRs will treat ships without detected military engines that have not demonstrated any weapon capability as 10% of the normal size when assessing their threat level
This should be commercial engines, surely?

Its says without military engines.

Offline Vivalas

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • V
« Reply #709 on: March 28, 2020, 04:31:24 PM »
Quick question to Steve: This current playthrough is pretty cool, but how would one replicate it? It seems like all of the diplomatic mechanics only kicked in at the end of the "truce" which I assume is a RP construct only.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #710 on: March 28, 2020, 04:37:30 PM »
Does "demonstrated any weapon capability" include CIWS firing on missiles?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #711 on: March 28, 2020, 04:46:00 PM »
Quick question to Steve: This current playthrough is pretty cool, but how would one replicate it? It seems like all of the diplomatic mechanics only kicked in at the end of the "truce" which I assume is a RP construct only.

Truce is a game mechanic. You can set everyone with the same capital to have fixed relationships for a set period.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #712 on: March 28, 2020, 05:53:05 PM »
Regarding planet killing, I do personally tend to build a stealth ship with a size-50 box launcher and a huge nuclear missile in it.

I fully favor exploding planets with high tectonic rating.  I also favor raising the tectonic rating via bombardment...

The following users thanked this post: SultanPepper

Offline SevenOfCarina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #713 on: March 29, 2020, 05:11:22 AM »
Quick question, Steve - is it possible to set a system as a 'demilitarized zone' banning entry of ships with military engines or known to possess weapons? Can we negotiate for transit access for starships through neutral/friendly space?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #714 on: March 29, 2020, 05:31:58 AM »
Quick question, Steve - is it possible to set a system as a 'demilitarized zone' banning entry of ships with military engines or known to possess weapons? Can we negotiate for transit access for starships through neutral/friendly space?

Not at the moment, although that would be hard for the NPR to handle as the player is quite capable of building commercial-engine warships.

Offline Jovus

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #715 on: March 29, 2020, 08:51:41 AM »

Not at the moment, although that would be hard for the NPR to handle as the player is quite capable of building commercial-engine warships.

I don't think it should be focused on before release obviously, but this objection strikes me as a feature rather than a bug. States building warships that technically adhere to naval treaties while trying to get an edge while being creative is a well-known phenomenon.

That still probably requires work so NPRs would do the same, but the roleplay potential there seems really cool.

The following users thanked this post: Scandinavian, SpikeTheHobbitMage

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #716 on: March 29, 2020, 12:21:03 PM »
Do NPR's understand proportionality?  I mean, do all conflicts, no matter how minor they start, result in total annihilation for the loser?  If I blow up a survey vessel for getting to close to me, will they try to glass my homeworld?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #717 on: March 29, 2020, 12:28:51 PM »
Do NPR's understand proportionality?  I mean, do all conflicts, no matter how minor they start, result in total annihilation for the loser?  If I blow up a survey vessel for getting to close to me, will they try to glass my homeworld?

Most of the time, probably not :)

It's worth reading the various Diplomatic updates in the changes log. Here is Part #1 of 8.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg118258#msg118258

"If there is no contact at all, even via civilian ships, then Diplomacy Points will move toward zero, from either direction. The annual rate of change is the Xenophobia of the viewing race when the starting point is positive and 100 – Xenophobia when the starting point is negative. For example, the view of a race with 25 Xenophobia will only fall 25 points when the starting point is positive but will rise by 75 points when the starting point is negative. Low Xenophobia races are quicker to forgive transgressions and vice versa."

This means that a relatively minor incident will be forgiven within a reasonable time. If you wipe out a whole fleet, that would be a different situation but even then after a prolonged period without contact the situation will stabilise. Eventually, I may add some additional ways to reduce tensions - perhaps giving up systems for example.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #718 on: March 29, 2020, 12:54:57 PM »

What? Is there anything else you can do to other races except glassing their homeworld?
That's news to me ;D

On a more serious note,I'm glad that there will be a mechanism to reduce tension over time. So the dumb aliens will forgive my ... occasional hostile actions.
While I prepare a fleet to glass their homeworld  8)

... I will probably not do that, it would be boring. I'll just roleplay the whole thing like a good boy , and then if needed declare war and glass their homeworld.

The following users thanked this post: Demonides

Offline Desdinova

• Lt. Commander
  • D
« Reply #719 on: March 29, 2020, 12:58:25 PM »
It would be really cool to see a wider range of diplomatic options. Although the current system is way more fleshed out than VB6, all interactions still basically amount to adding or subtracting relations points. It'd be really cool to have the ability to have more involved interactions, peace treaties, and trading of systems, resources or information.