Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 271174 times)

Offline nakorkren

• Lt. Commander
  • n
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #2595 on: June 17, 2022, 12:15:09 PM »
I just had a single survey location result in two new unexplored jump gates. After exploring, they led to two different systems, but it got me thinking. It would be cool if some systems had two jump gates between them, to different points in the systems, i.e. system A and system B have two jump gates each that lead between them. This would probably by a very minor amount of impact to the game, but would add flavor/uniqueness and very rarely might reduce the effectiveness of jump gates as a choke point.

The following users thanked this post: papent

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2596 on: June 18, 2022, 06:33:34 AM »
I just had a single survey location result in two new unexplored jump gates. After exploring, they led to two different systems, but it got me thinking. It would be cool if some systems had two jump gates between them, to different points in the systems, i.e. system A and system B have two jump gates each that lead between them. This would probably by a very minor amount of impact to the game, but would add flavor/uniqueness and very rarely might reduce the effectiveness of jump gates as a choke point.

I have seen this before, both systems were within the local cluster range (10 IIRC), the first one had only 2 WP initially, but the second one had seven, one of which opened a third WP back in the first system.
In my last game i also had two WP connected to each other in the same system, which sometimes allowed for a bit of a short cut, like LPs. 
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2597 on: June 18, 2022, 10:47:45 AM »

I have seen this before, both systems were within the local cluster range (10 IIRC), the first one had only 2 WP initially, but the second one had seven, one of which opened a third WP back in the first system.
In my last game i also had two WP connected to each other in the same system, which sometimes allowed for a bit of a short cut, like LPs.

Yep. As far as I know there's nothing that prevents these kinds of things from happening, at least in Random Stars games (using Real Stars you have a different method for new system generation). You can probably see such things more often by tweaking the local system generation chance and range if you really want to.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2598 on: June 18, 2022, 11:39:09 AM »
Suggestion: Add heading option for movement orders.

Currently, for certain kinds of orders including Move and Follow, it is possible to set a minimum distance. My suggestion is that we are also able to set a preferred heading relative to the target of that order. This will make much easier a number of basic orders that currently require clumsy workarounds using Waypoints, which are imprecise and not suitable when working with moving targets.

The following users thanked this post: Scandinavian, papent, BAGrimm, ISN

Offline ArcWolf

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #2599 on: June 18, 2022, 12:41:19 PM »
Some Sol System Updates:
1) Ultima Thule is now named 486958 Arrokoth.
2) Currently only Earth and Mars have any water present at game start. We know Enceladus & Europa are "ice Shell" worlds with "planet" spanning sub-surface oceans. Ganymede likewise has a subsurface ocean that is estimated to contain more water then Earth. Ceres is about 30% water by mass.
3) additionally, Pluto, while it's surface is 98% Nitrogen Ice, the crust is water ice and may have a liquid water ocean sub-surface. It also has a nitrogen atmosphere, although that is only .000001 atm.

I know there are many others that i did not cover, but it would be nice to see the larger Sol systems bodies that are colonization candidates have both hydrosphere and atmospheres that they posses in reality.

The following users thanked this post: Vandermeer

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2600 on: June 18, 2022, 01:40:17 PM »
Some Sol System Updates:
1) Ultima Thule is now named 486958 Arrokoth.

I like the old name better personally.

2) Currently only Earth and Mars have any water present at game start. We know Enceladus & Europa are "ice Shell" worlds with "planet" spanning sub-surface oceans. Ganymede likewise has a subsurface ocean that is estimated to contain more water then Earth. Ceres is about 30% water by mass.
3) additionally, Pluto, while it's surface is 98% Nitrogen Ice, the crust is water ice and may have a liquid water ocean sub-surface. It also has a nitrogen atmosphere, although that is only .000001 atm.

Would be nice to have just a little more reason to colonize and terraform any body in Sol besides Luna and/or Mars if that.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2601 on: June 18, 2022, 08:33:03 PM »
Hey, allow tankers to move water between worlds. It would be faster than pumping in water vapor and allowing that to condense.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #2602 on: June 18, 2022, 08:59:15 PM »
Hey, allow tankers to move water between worlds. It would be faster than pumping in water vapor and allowing that to condense.
Would it be faster?

Earth's water is estimated at 1E18 metric tons, or basically the same # in cubic meters of volume as a liquid. 1 "ton" of cargo space is really 11 m^3 of volume, yes? So to move an Earth equivalent amount of water, we need 9E16 tons of lift, or 1.8E12 standard cargo holds. It takes, what, 11 days to unload a standard bay with conventional shuttles? We thus require 5.7E10 module-years just to unload, not counting travel OR loading time.

By contrast, it takes 1.775 atm of water vapor to condense 71% coverage. This is 7100 module-years at base tech.

The following users thanked this post: skoormit, nuclearslurpee

Offline nakorkren

• Lt. Commander
  • n
« Reply #2603 on: June 18, 2022, 10:34:31 PM »
It would be really fun and flavorful to be able to play aquatic and/or "aero" races (ala the Qanska from the book "Manta's Gift"), with the associated changes to planet pop cap calculations and infrastructure need calculations.

E.g. an aquatic race wouldn't care (much) about atmospheric makeup, just temperature and % hydrosphere, and planet pop cap would be linear with % hydrosphere instead of decreasing at high % hydro. Likewise an "aero" race that drifts within the dense gas clouds wouldn't care about % hydrosphere.

I think adding a check-box during race setup to enable those two "templates" in addition to normal land-dwellers would add some variety to what types of planets are of interest to those races and how they terraform planets that are close to tolerable.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2604 on: June 19, 2022, 04:50:26 AM »
Would it be faster?

Earth's water is estimated at 1E18 metric tons, or basically the same # in cubic meters of volume as a liquid. 1 "ton" of cargo space is really 11 m^3 of volume, yes? So to move an Earth equivalent amount of water, we need 9E16 tons of lift, or 1.8E12 standard cargo holds. It takes, what, 11 days to unload a standard bay with conventional shuttles? We thus require 5.7E10 module-years just to unload, not counting travel OR loading time.

By contrast, it takes 1.775 atm of water vapor to condense 71% coverage. This is 7100 module-years at base tech.
Ah I didn't meant to transport the equivalent mass of Earth's water, but using tankers when they aren't busy to transport water from Europa, for example, to Mars in early game.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2605 on: June 19, 2022, 09:06:26 AM »
Ah I didn't meant to transport the equivalent mass of Earth's water, but using tankers when they aren't busy to transport water from Europa, for example, to Mars in early game.

I think the gist was that the mass of water required is so many orders of magnitude beyond what tankers can realistically move that it doesn't make a lot of sense. You'd end up implementing a feature that could make maybe 0.000001% difference in your terraforming ability.

Offline Sebmono

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #2606 on: June 19, 2022, 01:43:12 PM »
You'd end up implementing a feature that could make maybe 0.000001% difference in your terraforming ability.
On that note, if we wanted to talk about adding something !fun! that could still impact terraforming, let us attach engines to asteroids/comets and crash them into planets to transfer water ice and other minerals  ;D

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2607 on: June 19, 2022, 07:12:53 PM »
Yeah, using asteroids for terraforming would be sweet.

I think the gist was that the mass of water required is so many orders of magnitude beyond what tankers can realistically move that it doesn't make a lot of sense. You'd end up implementing a feature that could make maybe 0.000001% difference in your terraforming ability.
Yeah I guess, I hadn't crunched the numbers at all.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2608 on: June 19, 2022, 08:32:46 PM »
You'd end up implementing a feature that could make maybe 0.000001% difference in your terraforming ability.
On that note, if we wanted to talk about adding something !fun! that could still impact terraforming, let us attach engines to asteroids/comets and crash them into planets to transfer water ice and other minerals  ;D

Every time someone suggests this, someone else comes in and talks about why even the smallest asteroids in Aurora are too massive to be propelled by race-constructible engines within any realistic timeframe. Fortunately for me, it is usually someone else so I do not have to do the math.  8)

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2609 on: June 23, 2022, 01:41:29 AM »
 --- Multiplayer feature suggestion: SM Password Additions. So, basically, players could add something onto the SM Password, thus facilitating the ability for each player to possess only a piece of the complete SM Password. Thusly, the SM could also play the game themselves and remain impartial, since anything requiring SM privileges would require every piece of the code and it could then... presumably, be reset afterwards.

The following users thanked this post: doodle_sm