Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 359092 times)

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #2670 on: May 25, 2022, 04:38:47 AM »
You can actually make this work but it is a bit cumbersome.

Basically there are two steps needed. The first is to land a fighter squadron on a mothership and assign them to that mothership ("Land on Specified Mothership(+ Assign)"). This is the cumbersome part as there is unfortunately no way to keep fighters as a sub-fleet when doing this, the necessary order is inexplicably missing.

However, once fighters have an assigned mothership and are re-grouped as a squadron (using the helpful Shift/Ctrl-clicking as Rince Wind pointed out), the order "Land on Assigned Mothership as Sub-Fleet" will preserve the squadron sub-fleet. This means that as long as you keep your squadrons on the same ship and do not hop them around from one carrier to another very often, you will be able to keep them as a sub-fleet once the assignment step above is done once, every time after that is much easier.

There are still many problems with the sub-fleets, notably they tend to break easily if you combine fleets with carriers together or move carriers between fleets. Hopefully the squadron feature in 2.0 solves many of these problems, for now it remains very annoying. I am also looking forward to the ability to prevent commander assignment to specific classes as fighter-heavy fleets tend to not play nice with your limited number of officers.
Ahh, thank you, I managed to make it work like you described. I guess the only reason that never worked on me is because I changed playstyle with C# to many smaller carriers. Especially the Tau game where every larger ship has a "hook" to carry around an Orca gunboat always made the whole sub-fleet thing impossible, so I just assumed it was universally not working.

Not bad, so as long as the carriers are big and in different fleets, it works. Perhaps in 2.0 the squadron mechanic will also make mixed carrier fighter groups possible, so I can try Tau again.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline boolybooly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2671 on: May 30, 2022, 01:48:13 PM »
Can I use SM to check the universal total for active constructs ?

I accidentally left chance of ruins at 75% for a while and have a sneaky feeling that the 5 NPRs I started with may have activated enough DCs to stop the invaders as its year 60 and no sign of them. I have 240% active = 24% shut down of aether rifts. Maybe they are just a bit slowed.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 05:13:48 AM by boolybooly »

Offline Steve Zax

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #2672 on: June 03, 2022, 12:20:50 AM »
ok i did this in VB Aurora, but its been quite some time, and i don't know at all what i'm doing wrong or NOT doing in C# aurora. 

i cant get my missel defense ships to fire at incoming missles, i cant get my Beam ships to fire at incoming missles, i got my missle ships into range and i cant get them to fire at the enemy ships either?

I see the "open fire all" button and i selected a Fire control, and a target, and hit that button, but .  .  .   nothing. 

i can attach screenshots if that will help

(i DID set the enemy force from neutral to hostile, but still nothing)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 12:47:23 AM by Steve Zax »

Offline Kiero

• Bronze Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • In space no one can hear you scream.
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #2673 on: June 03, 2022, 01:05:03 AM »
ok i did this in VB Aurora, but its been quite some time, and i don't know at all what i'm doing wrong or NOT doing in C# aurora. 

i cant get my missel defense ships to fire at incoming missles, i cant get my Beam ships to fire at incoming missles, i got my missle ships into range and i cant get them to fire at the enemy ships either?

I see the "open fire all" button and i selected a Fire control, and a target, and hit that button, but .  .  .   nothing. 

Is there any message in an event log, when you're attempting to do that?

Provide a screenshot or DB?

Offline Agraelgrimm

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #2674 on: June 03, 2022, 02:04:36 AM »

Im sorry to ask, but have you assigned all the missile launchers and beam weapons to their respective Fire controls?
You have to do it manually for every ship (I do not know of another way of doing it besides that) and then you use the respective fire control to fire towards the incoming missiles.
It has happened to me before and it can get a little tricky when we are still thinking of V6.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2675 on: June 03, 2022, 08:34:57 AM »
You have to do it manually for every ship (I do not know of another way of doing it besides that) and then you use the respective fire control to fire towards the incoming missiles.

You can assign to a single ship, whether manually or using the Auto Assign FC button, and then copy to all other ships of that class with the Assign All button. No need to repeat the process for every ship, doing it once for a class (and occasionally refreshing the Assign All button for new construction) is sufficient.

Would be nice if Steve added a tab for class design to template the fire control assignments though, so we don't have to refresh for new ships (or, you know, forget and accidentally lose a battle...)

The following users thanked this post: Agraelgrimm

Offline Steve Zax

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #2676 on: June 03, 2022, 08:54:19 PM »
It is not clear (in game) that to assign a target to a Fire control, the act is "Drag and drop".  it turns out that THAT was what i did not do. 
so, my 17 Missle Destroyers, killed the 5 STATIONARY enemy ships with just their 70 long range missles.
( there may have been some "overkill" )
So I learned something today!

Offline Voltbot

• Chief Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #2677 on: June 04, 2022, 04:15:41 AM »
Question:
Does multiple refueling systems stack?
For example: If I have a tanker, that has 2 refueling systems, does it can refuel 2 ships simultaneously?
Or maybe refuel one ship, but at doubled speed?

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #2678 on: June 04, 2022, 09:26:15 AM »
Question:
Does multiple refueling systems stack?
For example: If I have a tanker, that has 2 refueling systems, does it can refuel 2 ships simultaneously?
Or maybe refuel one ship, but at doubled speed?

No, refuelling systems do not stack.
There is a separate component called a Refuelling Hub which allows a ship to refuel any number of ships simultaneously.
The hub requires its own research (10k rp) to unlock.

The following users thanked this post: Voltbot

Offline Kishmond

• Petty Officer
  • K
« Reply #2679 on: June 06, 2022, 02:01:48 PM »
In lore, does TN technology make artificial gravity possible?

Offline Voltbot

• Chief Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #2680 on: June 06, 2022, 02:13:26 PM »

In VB Aurora there was a grav-assisted cargo handling system.
So according to VB - Yes.
However I wasn't able to find any confirmation in C# Aurora.

Edit: In C# there should be technology: "Gravatonic Warhead".
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 02:22:46 PM by Voltbot »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2681 on: June 06, 2022, 11:20:37 PM »

It is left open for interpretation, because Aurora is principally about enabling roleplay rather than prescribing a specific lore. Some people prefer "realistic" spaceships which use centrfugal sections to generate gravity or have the crew float around, others like myself prefer to imagine "fantasy" spaceships with artificial gravity and optional seat belts.

Offline bsh

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • b
« Reply #2682 on: June 07, 2022, 12:51:27 AM »
Hi all,
my (very long) game has already been super slow, but all of a sudden it became even more extreme. And I'm stuck on 6 hours increments. Nothing on my side that I can see that's wrong. But I remember faintly this can be caused by NPRs running out of fuel mayb? Which was always the case when looking NPRs game log in the db. Now there are a few hundred ships of theirs out of fuel. Could this be the case, or what else? Is it ok to delete just those ships, or do I need to delete the according (empty) fleets and their movement orders as well?
Also, game now uses nearly a gig of memory, while the DB is over 200 megs. Is it normal?

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2683 on: June 07, 2022, 06:13:03 AM »
Also, game now uses nearly a gig of memory, while the DB is over 200 megs. Is it normal?

For that and other general slowdown/db maintenance see here http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12722.0

Offline bsh

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • b
« Reply #2684 on: June 07, 2022, 06:34:13 AM »
For that and other general slowdown/db maintenance see here http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12722.0
unfortunatelly non of those help. I used to do these regularly.