Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 355575 times)

Zed 6 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline unkfester

• Silver Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Discord Username: unkfester
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread - C# Edition
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2020, 05:46:05 AM »
Is there a problem with jump engines, or is it me missing something. I designed a ship say 3000 Tons then I designed a jump engine to cover ship weight plus itself.  Say jump enging is 1500 tons then spend time researching said jump engine. Total of final ship weight should be 4500 . but it is always over. I have done this a few times with different ships wasted days of game time researching jump engines that are to small for final ship

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2020, 06:16:53 AM »
Is there a problem with jump engines, or is it me missing something. I designed a ship say 3000 Tons then I designed a jump engine to cover ship weight plus itself.  Say jump enging is 1500 tons then spend time researching said jump engine. Total of final ship weight should be 4500 . but it is always over. I have done this a few times with different ships wasted days of game time researching jump engines that are to small for final ship

You most likely forgot that Jump Engine has crew and they need crew quarters, that are automatically added to the ship and that of course increases size of ship.

I would advice to use Prototypes if you are not sure how big the final design will be.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2020, 06:38:23 AM »
I have yet to figure how to use prototypes, shame on me.

Offline unkfester

• Silver Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Discord Username: unkfester
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2020, 06:46:50 AM »

You most likely forgot that Jump Engine has crew and they need crew quarters, that are automatically added to the ship and that of course increases size of ship.

I would advice to use Prototypes if you are not sure how big the final design will be.
Oh I thought it might have been that. But I assumed it would of been included. How do you work out weight of extra crew?  Thanks for info on using prototypes. I didn't realise I could.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2020, 07:14:40 AM »

Oh I thought it might have been that. But I assumed it would of been included. How do you work out weight of extra crew?  Thanks for info on using prototypes. I didn't realise I could.
I'm not aware of what the formula is for crew weight, but it will depend on the deployment time you select (ie a ship with 3 month deployment needs less than 12 month deployment).
One other thing is that adding a component will cause the armour to increase, because it needs to cover a larger internal volume. I am also not aware of the formula is for armour weight.

Personally I add stuff like engines and jump engines first, then design the rest of the ship around that.

I have yet to figure how to use prototypes, shame on me.
Prototypes is nearly the same as SM instant mode, just without being cheaty. Just make sure you have the "show prototypes" checkbox in class design turned on.

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2020, 08:19:21 AM »
Can a ground force unit get upgraded to new tech?

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2020, 08:35:47 AM »
Can a ground force unit get upgraded to new tech?

No, you need to research and train new units to use new tech.

Offline Fistandantillus7

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • F
  • Discord Username: Fistandantillus7#1567
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2020, 12:31:32 PM »
I want to use playoon-sized Marines for boarding but I dont want majors to command them. I could just change the name of their rank, but then I'd have captains commanding battalions. Is there anything I can do to get around this?

PS: Similarly, is there a way to put Marine boarding squads stationed  inside drop ships under the command of a Marine company HQ stationed on the mothership?

You can add new rank, it will be put at the top, so you need to rename all the ranks.

As for the HQ, you can prepare HQ with several squads under its command on planet and then load them, game will remember that they are subordinates, but there will be no bonus from the HQ.

I believe that there is no bonus from superior HQs at all, but that is most likely bug.
I would expect not having nested GF HQ bonus would be a bug because analogous Admin Commands provide nested bonuses for ships. Can anyone confirm ground forces HQs provide no nesting bonuses and if that dynamic is WAI or an acknowledged bug?

Offline Vizzy

• Leading Rate
  • V
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2020, 02:57:41 PM »
How do you get rid of future prototypes (besides obsoleting them)?

Normal prototypes can be turned into research prototypes which can then be deleted through the research screen.  Can't get it to work for future prototypes though.

Offline Zeebie

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2020, 08:00:46 AM »
How can you tell when ground units will need special capabilities like high temp, low pressure, etc?  Eg, what counts as "low" or "high"? Will my Terran marines have trouble in martian gravity? Do boarding squads need low pressure because they are operating in space? 

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2020, 08:40:52 AM »
How can you tell when ground units will need special capabilities like high temp, low pressure, etc?  Eg, what counts as "low" or "high"? Will my Terran marines have trouble in martian gravity? Do boarding squads need low pressure because they are operating in space?

Pressure and gravity are tied to your species, so if it is inside your race tolerance you don't need those specializations (Mars has gravity that is within Human tolerance). Terrain specializations are based on dominant terrain, for example in Sol, Io is dominantly Mountain terrain so you would like Mountain Warfare specialization. There is Boarding Combat specialization for boarding troops.

Offline Gabethebaldandbold

• last member of the noob swarm
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2020, 08:45:44 AM »
I was trying to figure out why civilian mining colonies were spawning so slowly and came across this explanation:

"A suitable location is a system body with at least 10,000 tons of Duranium that has an accessibility of at least 0.7."

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=C-Civilian_Economy#Civilian_Mining_Colonies

Am I reading that correctly? Civilian mines can only be built in places that are a good source of Duranium, nothing else?

I was hoping I could rely on civilians to handle all the little asteroids with minerals while I focused on moon and planets, but it seems I have to micro-manage every little rock without some duranium as well...

EDIT:
Also, how can I see the Total Maintenance Capacity for my colonies?
I have also seen them do it on exeptional gallicite places.
To beam, or not to beam.   That is the question
the answer is you beam. and you better beam hard.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2020, 08:46:58 AM »
I was trying to figure out why civilian mining colonies were spawning so slowly and came across this explanation:

"A suitable location is a system body with at least 10,000 tons of Duranium that has an accessibility of at least 0.7."

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=C-Civilian_Economy#Civilian_Mining_Colonies

Am I reading that correctly? Civilian mines can only be built in places that are a good source of Duranium, nothing else?

I was hoping I could rely on civilians to handle all the little asteroids with minerals while I focused on moon and planets, but it seems I have to micro-manage every little rock without some duranium as well...

EDIT:
Also, how can I see the Total Maintenance Capacity for my colonies?

Rules for CMCs:

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg110347#msg110347

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2020, 09:15:27 AM »

Rules for CMCs:

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg110347#msg110347

I just ran a test on 1.11.0 and can confirm that CMC's can generate on bodies with gallicite (this case around 74.000 tons and 0,7 accessibility) with 0 duranium. I believe this was also the case with VB6, but I can't confirm it on the old wiki. If it isn't noted it in change log, then it's probably an oversight (though I can't tell if it was an oversight to not mention it or to include it at all).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 09:23:29 AM by smoelf »

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2020, 02:29:18 PM »
How do you get rid of future prototypes (besides obsoleting them)?

Normal prototypes can be turned into research prototypes which can then be deleted through the research screen.  Can't get it to work for future prototypes though.
I believe you would need to wait until the future tech is researched, create the prototype as a research project and delete the research project.
So for practical purposes obsoleting them is the way to go. Might be worth putting in the suggestions thread.