Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 345426 times)

Offline unkfester

• Silver Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Discord Username: unkfester
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2020, 10:47:32 AM »
Shields.. how do they work? Does any size shield work with any size ship regardless of tonnage? Or does shield size only fit a certain size ship?
Just asking. I am gonna try a having ago

Any size of shield will work on any ship. Provided the ship can actually carry it, of course XD
Shields start out quite weak compared to armor, but become stronger and stronger as your technology improves. So keep that in mind.
They are very useful once your technology is decent.
I have researched up to Epsilon . Regen rate 3.  How does strength size work? say size 55 ,   Does it mean 55 hit points then collapses

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2020, 11:30:25 AM »
I have researched up to Epsilon . Regen rate 3.  How does strength size work? say size 55 ,   Does it mean 55 hit points then collapses

That is correct. The design will also tell you how many seconds it will take for it to regenerate completely, provided the shield generator is still intact.

Shields are especially useful in the following situations:
- In protracted battles and/or when you take some damage, then there's a pause before you take some more. The shield will have time to regenerate between battles/between damage taken. Keep in mind, armor can only be repaired at a shipyard instead
- Against armor piercing weapons (particle beams and especially lances), weapons that ignore armor (Microwave) or weapons that do a lot of damage in a single hit, say a spinal laser. This is because a particularly powerful hit can pierce all your layers of armor, while shields will protect until they are depleted no matter how strong a single hit is.
- For the reason above, a ship that only relays on armor may, due to unlucky hits, have some places where the armor is completely stripped off. While this page is for vb aurora, it can still help http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Armor. A shield can complement your armor to avoid a situation like that

In general, in my opinion, it is worth to put shields on any "general purpose" warship of a certain size if you have the tech to make decent shields (basically means, if you kept up your shield research to a comparable level to your armor research).

Shields do not perform well againt massed concentrated damage. Say, a hundred missiles that hit you all at once. In those situations using just armor is better, however if it's normal for you to take massive amounts of damage, you probably have other problems anyway xD
Also, meson cannons will ignore shields
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 12:21:16 PM by Zincat »

The following users thanked this post: unkfester

Offline Graymane

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2020, 12:46:38 PM »
I have a Maintenance Production Rate 50 MSP tech, 220 maintenance facilities on Earth and an Annual Production on Earth of 50,600 MSP.  Help me with the math, how can I related these values as each facility is producing 230 MSP per year?  Where does the 50 fit in?

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2020, 12:57:14 PM »

Can someone help me with this.  I was fooling around with Aurora 1.11, just to get a feel for it, and I created two races on a planet.  The planet had oxygen and water, and I thought it would work.  However, both races, in spite of being created on that planet, show a colony cost of 2.00 for their home planet, as you can see from the pic above.  I can't figure out why.  The environment tab does show, as above, that the cost is because of "Dangerous Atmosphere", but I cannot figure out why its dangerous.  The oxygen percentage isn't above 30%, and everything else seems to be within acceptable parameters. 

Help!

Kurt

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2020, 12:59:02 PM »
Remove Carbon Dioxide. It is dangerous gas in C# Aurora.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 01:01:55 PM by Black »

The following users thanked this post: Kurt, unkfester

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2020, 01:19:12 PM »
I have a Maintenance Production Rate 50 MSP tech, 220 maintenance facilities on Earth and an Annual Production on Earth of 50,600 MSP.  Help me with the math, how can I related these values as each facility is producing 230 MSP per year?  Where does the 50 fit in?
Your planetary governor gives a 15% production bonus.

#facilities * production rate * (1 + governor production%/100) * 4

Offline Graymane

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2020, 01:47:18 PM »
Sure enough :P  my guv has 15%.  Thanks!

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2020, 05:57:16 PM »
Someone please tell this here silly human how to actually attack another population on the same body with ground forces.

Do I need to set the empire I want to attack to hostile, or something else first? There does not seem to be a button for attacking another population in the F8 ground forces menu.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2020, 06:03:05 PM »
Someone please tell this here silly human how to actually attack another population on the same body with ground forces.

Do I need to set the empire I want to attack to hostile, or something else first? There does not seem to be a button for attacking another population in the F8 ground forces menu.
You need to set the other race as hostile and have ground units in the Forward Attack position.

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2020, 06:15:38 PM »
Ah, that was my mistake! I forgot to yell "CHAAAARGE!"

...omygod, there's there's hundreds, thousands of messages in the log. All the verbosity that was cut out of the ship combat reports made it back in here, it seems.

Edit: okay, my limited comet mining colony conquest turned into total war on earth. I'm guessing there is no such thing as a limited engagement?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 06:21:06 PM by Zap0 »

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2020, 07:08:43 PM »

...omygod, there's there's hundreds, thousands of messages in the log. All the verbosity that was cut out of the ship combat reports made it back in here, it seems.

Edit: okay, my limited comet mining colony conquest turned into total war on earth. I'm guessing there is no such thing as a limited engagement?

All missiles are nuclear in Aurora ;-)
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2020, 08:19:21 PM »
I can't tell if my orbital support is having an effect. Are there any messages I should look out for?

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2020, 10:52:26 PM »
I can't tell if my orbital support is having an effect. Are there any messages I should look out for?

I believe you should get messages similar to:

'Orbital support craft XXXXX attacked ground element YYYYYY. Shots fired ZZZZZZ. Shots hit AAAAAA. BBBBBBB elements destroyed'

However I cannot confirm as my message log no longer includes my last battle which included ground support units.
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...

Offline amram

• Lieutenant
  • a
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2020, 11:01:47 PM »

Yep, any combat is instant racial hostilities - you don't even have to kill, just deliver one or more point of damage, even if it harmlessly dissipates on shielding.  Border conflicts might be a thing, if you can avoid more fighting long enough to get back to uneasy peace.  With a land war.....you'll be shooting, they'll be shooting, and you just go deeper and deeper into hostile relations.

Offline Yesus

• Leading Rate
  • Y
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2020, 07:58:06 AM »
starting a game now i have a projected usage of minerals extremely high ( more minerals than in the planet) and appears in red, it says that is for "maintenance" in the minerals window but i don't understand why.   i  have not played since 1.  4 or so

ok i found out, for some reason everything is multiplied x100 because of , and .  diferences en decimals, so my race has x10. 000 % ( 100,00 %) in everything, including RP production, so it makes the game unplayable and i can't edit it in the race window for some reason. . .
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 08:59:36 AM by Yesus »