Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 355645 times)

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2020, 11:42:37 AM »
I might be misunderstanding something, but doesn't Railgun require two technologies - a Railgun tech and a Railgun Launch Velocity tech? If you don't have any Railgun tech yet you'd be missing the latter.

It's like how you need three different technologies to make your first jump drive.

I did wonder this but ive not got the techs required and i still cannot seem to make the more advanced tech components that i acquired from the ruins.

Wait you said 10cm Advanced Railgun? Is this some sort of ruins only tech that isn't properly implemented yet?

I might be confused but if you got normal railgun tech it should just be called "10cm Railgun". The advanced variant sounds like it might be something else entirely. Can you discern any sort stats from what little the game has told you about it or do you just know the name?

Also for completeness double check whether this is a tech or some component you found - this could just be 10cm Railgun that is just called a 10cm advanced railgun.

FTFY.
Please edit your post to respect and continue the OP's use of spoiler tags.

You literally caught me as I was doing exactly that lol

The following users thanked this post: skoormit

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2020, 04:33:51 PM »
it's possible to open multiple system map?
Yes.  Shift-clicking on the buttons at the top will open multiple windows of most types.

The following users thanked this post: Cinnius

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2020, 04:40:47 PM »
Yes.  Shift-clicking on the buttons at the top will open multiple windows of most types.

So, then, which button opens a new tactical map?

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2020, 04:43:25 PM »

So, then, which button opens a new tactical map?
AFAIK, the tactical map is one of the few that you can only ever have one of.  The Race Creation and the Game Information windows being the others.

Offline amram

• Lieutenant
  • a
« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2020, 07:19:28 PM »
The tactical map is one of those windows that could be exceptionally useful to have several of.  Leave a window watching your spy craft, or other important activity that you'd prefer not loose sight of.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage, Droll, Cinnius

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2020, 08:18:43 PM »
The tactical map is one of those windows that could be exceptionally useful to have several of.  Leave a window watching your spy craft, or other important activity that you'd prefer not loose sight of.
This would probably be a good one for the Suggestions thread.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2020, 08:24:23 PM »
Do Air-to-Air pods benefit from onboard ECCM?

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2020, 10:03:25 PM »
Is air to air combat even possible in the game? All references to it I've seen have been as something to be added eventually, not a current feature.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2020, 10:27:11 AM »
Is air to air combat even possible in the game? All references to it I've seen have been as something to be added eventually, not a current feature.

From what I understand it is but NPRs won't use fighters, which means that for most of your games you wont need AA units.

Offline AdmiralBaldo

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • A
« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2020, 01:34:10 PM »
What's a dormant construct? A bit of a way off getting xenoarchaeologist (sp?) to the planet and am curious

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2020, 01:47:09 PM »
What's a dormant construct? A bit of a way off getting xenoarchaeologist (sp?) to the planet and am curious

After analizing it with a xenoarchaeology formation, you can activate it by colonizing the planet with at least one million people. After that it will give a  bonus to a certain field of research (say, +50% to propulsion tech) conducted on the planet. And also a tenth of that (5% in this case) to that tech research everywhere in the galaxy.
Active constructs are also instrumental in fighting a certain ... menace. But that's a bigger spoiler, so up to you whether you want to know or not.

Not sure if spoiler, so included in a spoler tag
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 01:51:18 PM by Zincat »

Offline amram

• Lieutenant
  • a
« Reply #116 on: June 24, 2020, 09:01:41 PM »
I might be misunderstanding something, but doesn't Railgun require two technologies - a Railgun tech and a Railgun Launch Velocity tech? If you don't have any Railgun tech yet you'd be missing the latter.

It's like how you need three different technologies to make your first jump drive.

I did wonder this but ive not got the techs required and i still cannot seem to make the more advanced tech components that i acquired from the ruins.

Did a little DB dabbling to get myself started on the Adv lasers and Adv railguns, I can make normal of either, cannot select the advanced versions in the create tech menus.  I suspect they are bugged atm.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 03:14:27 AM by amram »

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2020, 11:01:10 PM »

Did a little DB dabbling to get myself started on the Adv lasers and Adv railguns, I can make normal of either, cannot select the advanced versions in the create tech menus.  I suspect they are bugged atm.

A little screwing around in the DB, it seems they are missing entries from DIM_ResearchCategories - adding them in myself enables them to show up as a design-able component.  Note that I have not tried to design, research, build and then use one, I only tried to
test the theory they were omitted and it seems plausible they were given that their component entry is missing.

Maybe this should be made as a bug report? These advanced variants seem to be either scrapped or planned features which IMO is a really cool idea but also should probably not be recoverable from ruins until they are properly working.

As an aside: Would it be possible for you to check to see if they have any stat changes - not necessarily actually design them just to see if any of their planned/intended functionality is reflected, i.e. how much better/different is an adv. railgun from a standard one. Im curious as to what Steve was thinking with them if anything.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 11:03:54 PM by Droll »

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #118 on: June 24, 2020, 11:28:35 PM »
Advanced components as well as compressed fuel tanks were technologies that were recoverd from ruins in VB6 Aurora, so that seems to work correctly in C# Aurora. Now it is some time I played VB6 but I think it was necessary to disassemble them to get the necessary research to show up.

Offline amram

• Lieutenant
  • a
« Reply #119 on: June 24, 2020, 11:58:37 PM »
Advanced components as well as compressed fuel tanks were technologies that were recoverd from ruins in VB6 Aurora, so that seems to work correctly in C# Aurora. Now it is some time I played VB6 but I think it was necessary to disassemble them to get the necessary research to show up.

I think you are misunderstanding - The research shows up, that is not the issue, I can happily research them, and their subsequent lines.  The issue is making one so you can put it on a ship.

Consider how one designs a part.  You hit the button, the component design window opens, and you select the type of part.  Those parts are not selectable to design, at all, they don't exist.

Some further digging suggests they might have been intended to share the same sub window as their basic brethren, they're listed as a SecondPrimaryTech, yet even so, they will not appear in the drop downs.  I can get them to appear, but as the software isn't expecting it, and it like many things is somewhat hard coded behind the scenes, even without actually designing one I can tell there are issues - like their component name doesn't update, it will simply remain as whatever it was last made by another part, or whatever I set it to - because the new entry has a new ID, and the ID doesn't reference a part name template, or something similar happening behind the scenes.

At this point, I'm not sure if its an omitted entry, or a bug preventing their being shown, or a temporary omission like many tooltips were/are for expediency, or if its more permanent.