Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 362447 times)

Offline d.rodin

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • d
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #135 on: July 02, 2020, 04:59:01 AM »
Where / when do you modify the green text to make higher HQ ratings?

I have tried in unit design and in formation template in 1. 11. 0 and it does not seem to work for me.

e. g.  I made a Medium Vehicle with HQ and Heavy Bombardment, edited the HQ value to 10000 and created it, researched it and it came out with 1000.

I added the HQ vehicle to a formation by editing the green text to say 10000 and the formation shows 1000.

I have seen posts saying you have to edit the value in green but I cant see how to do that.  Where am I going wrong?

*whimpers*

*bangs head on keyboard*

The following users thanked this post: boolybooly

Offline boolybooly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #136 on: July 02, 2020, 05:00:47 AM »
doh! thanks :D

Offline amram

• Lieutenant
  • a
« Reply #137 on: July 02, 2020, 05:24:57 PM »
Yeah, that one is really not obvious at all, lol.  Took me a little bit to sort out, and iirc I ended up crawling through the change list or it was a tutorial to discover that one, I forget which, I was doing a lot of both when first exploring what new things c# brought forth.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #138 on: July 02, 2020, 07:11:30 PM »
Where / when do you modify the green text to make higher HQ ratings?

I have tried in unit design and in formation template in 1. 11. 0 and it does not seem to work for me.

e. g.  I made a Medium Vehicle with HQ and Heavy Bombardment, edited the HQ value to 10000 and created it, researched it and it came out with 1000.

I added the HQ vehicle to a formation by editing the green text to say 10000 and the formation shows 1000.

I have seen posts saying you have to edit the value in green but I cant see how to do that.  Where am I going wrong?

*whimpers*

*bangs head on keyboard* ijuok98,nl,l,plo;k./[',0ip[;-'o=]l0/-=9i8uojk7087ui9yj
Above the big block of green text (which really shouldn't be editable) there is a line of yellow that says 'Headquarter Capacity'.  To the right of that is a green number.  That is what you need to change.

Offline Dawa1147

• Chief Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #139 on: July 03, 2020, 05:04:49 PM »
For Commanders to give their Bonus they must have a strict heirarchy (eg R1-R2-R3-...) in the Naval Organisation, right?

Well right now I have the problem that my ship officers keep getting promoted so ALL my admin commands must be highest rank, but then I cant have

Whole Navy Command
L Survey Ships
   L Survey Ship 1
   L Survey Ship 2
L Attack Ships
   L Attack Ship 1
L Logistics Ships

etc because the "Whole Navy Command" is not a higher Rank, so I wont get its bonus.

How can I solve this? I already turned of "Realistic Promotions", and manually flagging 3500+ officers as "Do Not Promote" wont happen. And manually demoting every X days is tefious as well.
(AFAIK I cant just make all my naval commands highest rank and get the bonuses from the "Whole Navy Command" and "Survey Ships", is this true?)

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #140 on: July 03, 2020, 07:11:44 PM »
Is there an easy way that I can tell my tanker to refuel a particular vessel in a task force, so that they can make it back to Earth to fully refuel, rather than totally refuel the first one on the list but ignore the one further down the really needs it?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #141 on: July 03, 2020, 08:21:34 PM »
Is there an easy way that I can tell my tanker to refuel a particular vessel in a task force, so that they can make it back to Earth to fully refuel, rather than totally refuel the first one on the list but ignore the one further down the really needs it?

Separate the problem ship into its own subfleet and have the tanker join that subfleet. Set the refuel mode of the tanker to "refuel subfleet".

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #142 on: July 04, 2020, 05:44:08 PM »
Are sorium harvesters affected by the fuel production technology?

Offline Rince Wind

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #143 on: July 05, 2020, 08:28:04 AM »
Yes

The following users thanked this post: Migi

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #144 on: July 05, 2020, 09:57:49 AM »
For Commanders to give their Bonus they must have a strict heirarchy (eg R1-R2-R3-...) in the Naval Organisation, right?

Well right now I have the problem that my ship officers keep getting promoted so ALL my admin commands must be highest rank, but then I cant have

Whole Navy Command
L Survey Ships
   L Survey Ship 1
   L Survey Ship 2
L Attack Ships
   L Attack Ship 1
L Logistics Ships

etc because the "Whole Navy Command" is not a higher Rank, so I wont get its bonus.

How can I solve this? I already turned of "Realistic Promotions", and manually flagging 3500+ officers as "Do Not Promote" wont happen. And manually demoting every X days is tefious as well.
(AFAIK I cant just make all my naval commands highest rank and get the bonuses from the "Whole Navy Command" and "Survey Ships", is this true?)

I have one clarification and  four possible solutions for you.

To clarify: the commander ranks in the Naval Admin Command hierarchy must be strictly descending down the tree, but you are allowed to skip ranks at any node.
In other words, it doesn't have to be R1-R2-R3. You can have R1-R3-R5, for example, and any fleet under the R5 command that has no commanders higher than R6 will receive the stacked bonuses.
(This means, to answer your specific question, that a fleet under Survey Ships won't get the bonus from the commander of Whole Navy Command unless the commander of Survey Ships is of lower rank than the commander of Whole Navy Command, and the commander of the fleet is of lower rank than the commander of Survey Ships. If Whole Navy Command does not have an assigned commander, then the commander of Survey Ships can be of the highest rank.)

So, how to make this workable when your commanders keep getting promoted, pushing their fleets out of the appropriate command range for their naval command?
Some approaches:

1) Turn on auto-assignment for commanders.
Besides the obvious benefit of assigning all newly arrived commanders for you, this will also cause promoted ship commanders to be unassigned from their current ship. This prevents promotions from messing up your command hierarchy, but is in some cases a bother--there are times when you would like a particular commander to remain with a particular ship. In those cases you can manually reassign the commander, and the auto-assignment won't remove that commander again (until the commander's next promotion).

2) Build a deeper admin command tree.
If you generally want commanders to stay with their ships as they get promoted, then build a deep enough tree that you can move the fleet of a promoted commander up one node to satisfy the rank requirements. Of course, this doesn't help if the commanders that you want in charge of fleets are of your highest rank. It only helps keep things in line as officers are climbing up from the lower ranks.

3) Build more academies.
Building more academies will give you more commanders. This gives you more flexibility in assignments, but, again, doesn't really solve the problem if you like to assign the highest-ranked commanders to ships. And if you have 3500+ commanders, I think you have already done a lot of this.

4) Forget all that, just keep promotions from happening without spending an entire Sunday clicking a checkbox.
If you like, I will write a SQL script that will uncheck that box for you, for all your commanders.
If you just want a one-time fix, you can send me your DB and I will run the script on it.
If you would like to be able to do it on an ongoing basis, I can send you the script and explain what you need to do to execute it.
Send me a PM if you want to go this route.

Offline Rince Wind

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #145 on: July 06, 2020, 11:35:33 AM »
How do you get on good terms with an NPR? They usually demand I leave their systems even if I only have a diplomatic vessel.

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #146 on: July 06, 2020, 02:06:06 PM »
How do you get on good terms with an NPR? They usually demand I leave their systems even if I only have a diplomatic vessel.

Are they actually always demanding?
Or are they sometimes suggesting or requesting?

Each of those conveys different information. If you haven't, you should read up on the C# diplomacy framework.

Long story short, if an NPR detects you in a system they have the least bit of interest in controlling, they will communicate that desire to you unless they see a good reason not to (such as a strong military force or your own large colonies in that system).

Offline Rince Wind

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #147 on: July 06, 2020, 02:41:29 PM »
They were demanding, but it was their home system. A colony I found couldn't detect me, so there was no communication. Their home system was 2j from earth, they had more population and a large fleet while I had a few survey ships and some civilans.

In other games, if I didn't leave they usually shot my diplomatic ship after a while.

Offline Elvin

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #148 on: July 06, 2020, 04:40:52 PM »
They were demanding, but it was their home system. A colony I found couldn't detect me, so there was no communication. Their home system was 2j from earth, they had more population and a large fleet while I had a few survey ships and some civilans.

In other games, if I didn't leave they usually shot my diplomatic ship after a while.

The NPRs always have the maximum level of protection on their home system, and won't tolerate any ships (even diplomatic ones) in that system. They are nice enough to give you time to leave, but will always eventually shoot you (and tank your relationship)

The other thing you can do is camp a jump point (not inside their home system) with a diplomatic ship (with its sensors on), and one way or the other the NPR will probably come and investigate...

Offline Dawa1147

• Chief Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #149 on: July 07, 2020, 04:28:51 PM »

1) Turn on auto-assignment for commanders.

2) Build a deeper admin command tree.

3) Build more academies.

4) Forget all that, just keep promotions from happening without spending an entire Sunday clicking a checkbox.
If you like, I will write a SQL script that will uncheck that box for you, for all your commanders.
If you just want a one-time fix, you can send me your DB and I will run the script on it.
If you would like to be able to do it on an ongoing basis, I can send you the script and explain what you need to do to execute it.
Send me a PM if you want to go this route.

Ok, I think I should have done a better job of providing this info, so here it goes:
1-Auto Assignment is on (forgot that in the post)
2-Im not sure a deeper command tree would help, since I couldnt get 2 levels without ships having too high of a rank
3-I have THOUSANDS of unused Naval Commanders. I have hundreds/dozens of high level commanders. I sincerely hope this is not the problem :s
4-Thanks for the offer, but you offered up another solution to the problem:

Decades ago I had assigned some commanders to the diplomatic ships bc they wouldnt get commanders. Somehow they survived decades and kept getting promoted, until reaching a level that messed up the heirarchy. Since they were spread out it took a while to figure out that it was the diplo ships causing the problem.