Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 345810 times)

Offline DIT_grue

• Lieutenant
  • D
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #315 on: August 05, 2020, 01:39:07 AM »
I'd like to build a scrap yard. My idea was to use space stations with a Salvage module, put them in orbit of a planet with a decent colony.

Then move the ship I want to scrap and move it into orbit of the planet with the space stations and abandon it.

I'd scoop up the life pods, I'm assuming the abandon ship command creates life pods, and then use the salvage modules to salvage the ship in question.

Would that function as I intend it too?

If I recall correctly, I once messed with Abandon Ship in VB6... the PDC exploded prettily, with heavy casualties and life pods scattered about. So if that holds, it's not a way to evacuate your ships, just a self-destruct that goes off a maximum of five seconds after the button is pressed. That may or may not be something you can ignore for the suggested piece of roleplay.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #316 on: August 05, 2020, 02:03:43 AM »
I'd like to build a scrap yard. My idea was to use space stations with a Salvage module, put them in orbit of a planet with a decent colony.

Then move the ship I want to scrap and move it into orbit of the planet with the space stations and abandon it.

I'd scoop up the life pods, I'm assuming the abandon ship command creates life pods, and then use the salvage modules to salvage the ship in question.

Wouldn't this waste resources? You can salvage only fraction of what would you get from scraping in shipyard, right?

Offline Kirkegaard

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
« Reply #317 on: August 05, 2020, 02:46:24 AM »
In the C# version, can you build any sort of military stations/bases that do not require constant maintenance? I would like something to guard key jump points, that do not require much effort on my side.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
« Reply #318 on: August 05, 2020, 03:22:25 AM »
All military ships/stations require maintenance eventually, you can make station that has long deployment time and large supply of MSP to have longer time bofore overhaul and rest for the crew is necessary.

Some people build one use stations/ships, that are simply abandoned after their maintenance gets too high. But I have no experience in designing such specialized ships, so someone who uses those would have to elaborate more.

Offline mike2R

• Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #319 on: August 05, 2020, 03:25:46 AM »

If I recall correctly, I once messed with Abandon Ship in VB6... the PDC exploded prettily, with heavy casualties and life pods scattered about. So if that holds, it's not a way to evacuate your ships, just a self-destruct that goes off a maximum of five seconds after the button is pressed. That may or may not be something you can ignore for the suggested piece of roleplay.

I've used Abandon Ship in C# a couple of times, and I either got all the crew and officers or most of them.  I was running away, and tried abandoning badly damaged ships that had to drop out of formation, and the pods certainly had a lot more people in them than the ones from ships that died to missiles.

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue

Offline Kirkegaard

• K
« Reply #320 on: August 05, 2020, 07:08:53 AM »
All military ships/stations require maintenance eventually, you can make station that has long deployment time and large supply of MSP to have longer time bofore overhaul and rest for the crew is necessary.

Are there a special way to make stations or are they simply ships with no engine?

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
« Reply #321 on: August 05, 2020, 07:25:45 AM »
Military station is ship without engines and must be build by shipyard. Commercial station can be build by industry but you need to select no armour checkbox in design window.

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #322 on: August 05, 2020, 08:03:07 AM »

Are there a special way to make stations or are they simply ships with no engine?

"Station" is just a convenient term for ships with no engines.
You can use the "No Armor" checkbox to make an armorless station, which saves a good bit of cost (and weight) and can be built by construction factories, but may not use any military components.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #323 on: August 05, 2020, 10:39:09 PM »

"Station" is just a convenient term for ships with no engines.
You can use the "No Armor" checkbox to make an armorless station, which saves a good bit of cost (and weight) and can be built by construction factories, but may not use any military components.

Yes and no. You can build all components of a Ship without Engine with construction factories and then assemble the station in orbit through shipyard. So I guess the biggest difference between a station and a ship is that Station can be build entirely by Construction Factories while ships or ships without engines must be built or assembled by Shipyards. Also the other big difference which has been said before is that  a station will only have commercial components while station ship without engines can have both.

Bottom line:
to build a station in Aurora terms you have to flag the option in the design "No Armor" - only commercial
to build a ship any design over 500 tons and without the flag "no armor" will be classified as ship - either commercial or military
to build a fighter any design equal or under 500 tons and without the flag "no armor" will be classified as fighter

I do agree with Skoormit though that a station could be a ship without engines just remember to have a shipyard large enough to either build or assemble them.

Here Aurora Station rules http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg106780#msg106780
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 10:43:52 PM by froggiest1982 »

The following users thanked this post: Kirkegaard

Offline idefelipe

• Gold Supporter
  • Lieutenant
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #324 on: August 08, 2020, 06:53:45 AM »
What is the use for the Production Skill?

Offline Kirkegaard

• K
« Reply #325 on: August 08, 2020, 09:16:25 AM »
When is the amount of minerals on a object decided? At the start of the game, when surveyed or when the system is discovered?

If I for instance would like minerals on the moon, could I survey and if I find nothing exit without saving and try again or would that not work?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #326 on: August 08, 2020, 09:21:54 AM »

Orbital miners and fuel refineries produce more faster when commanded by an officer with higher production skill

Offline Dreadder

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #327 on: August 08, 2020, 09:45:13 AM »

Orbital miners and fuel refineries produce more faster when commanded by an officer with higher production skill

Isn't that what the mining bonus is for?

I was under the impression that the production bonus of naval officers has to do with jump point stabilisation, though I could be wrong.

Offline Kirkegaard

• K
« Reply #328 on: August 08, 2020, 10:50:23 AM »
When is the amount of minerals on a object decided? At the start of the game, when surveyed or when the system is discovered?

If I for instance would like minerals on the moon, could I survey and if I find nothing exit without saving and try again or would that not work?

To partly answer my own question, I have just tested and it is not when they are surveyed. The objects have the exact same minerals in a number of surveys.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
« Reply #329 on: August 08, 2020, 10:57:16 AM »

To partly answer my own question, I have just tested and it is not when they are surveyed. The objects have the exact same minerals in a number of surveys.

It is decided when the body is created. That usually means when the system is discovered, but if you add bodies in SM they can have mineral deposits and even ruins generated.

The following users thanked this post: Kirkegaard