Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 345821 times)

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #330 on: August 08, 2020, 01:56:45 PM »
When is the amount of minerals on a object decided? At the start of the game, when surveyed or when the system is discovered?

If I for instance would like minerals on the moon, could I survey and if I find nothing exit without saving and try again or would that not work?

To partly answer my own question, I have just tested and it is not when they are surveyed. The objects have the exact same minerals in a number of surveys.

The system doesn't exist until it is discovered, so that must be when the minerals are decided.

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #331 on: August 08, 2020, 01:58:40 PM »
If I for instance would like minerals on the moon, could I survey and if I find nothing exit without saving and try again or would that not work?

With SM mode enabled, open the System Generation and Display window (F9). 
Select the desired body, and click the Redo Minerals tab (in the center of the bottom collection of panes).

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #332 on: August 08, 2020, 02:02:34 PM »
What is the use for the Production Skill?

Orbital miners and fuel refineries produce more faster when commanded by an officer with higher production skill

This is mistaken. Orbital mining and sorium harvesting is improved by the Mining bonus of the ship's commander. 
The Production bonus reduces the amount of time needed to stabilize jump points (and Lagrange points), and also affects salvaging. 

The following users thanked this post: idefelipe

Offline Kirkegaard

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
« Reply #333 on: August 08, 2020, 02:50:06 PM »
I'm having issues with my tanker, I can't get it to fuel a ship that has run out of fuel with the order "refuel from own tankers" or "join and refuel target fleet". What am I doing wrong?

Benjamin Harrison class Tanker      8,686 tons       78 Crew       250.6 BP       TCS 174    TH 600    EM 0
3454 km/s      Armour 1-37       Shields 0-0       HTK 25      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
Fuel Capacity 1,500,000 Litres    Range 1,075 billion km (3602 days at full power)
Refuelling Capability: 50,000 litres per hour     Complete Refuel 30 hours

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

And Tanker checkbox is selected in ship design, and "refuel own fleet" in ship overview.

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #334 on: August 08, 2020, 04:56:52 PM »
I'm having issues with my tanker, I can't get it to fuel a ship that has run out of fuel with the order "refuel from own tankers" or "join and refuel target fleet". What am I doing wrong?

Benjamin Harrison class Tanker      8,686 tons       78 Crew       250.6 BP       TCS 174    TH 600    EM 0
3454 km/s      Armour 1-37       Shields 0-0       HTK 25      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
Fuel Capacity 1,500,000 Litres    Range 1,075 billion km (3602 days at full power)

And Tanker checkbox is selected in ship design, and "refuel own fleet" in ship overview.

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell a tanker to give fuel to another ship.

Instead, move your tanker to the empty ship, then give the empty ship orders to refuel from stationary tankers (targeting the tanker).
Now the empty ship will slurp fuel off of the tanker.

Offline Kamilo

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • K
« Reply #335 on: August 09, 2020, 02:43:50 PM »

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell a tanker to give fuel to another ship.

Instead, move your tanker to the empty ship, then give the empty ship orders to refuel from stationary tankers (targeting the tanker).
Now the empty ship will slurp fuel off of the tanker.

It is also possible to give your tanker the other join and refuel fleet. That way your tanker will join the empty ship's fleet and will refuel it. After the refuel is done you have to move the tanker to a separate fleet again.

Offline trabber Shir

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • t
« Reply #336 on: August 10, 2020, 01:44:18 AM »
Quote from: Black link=topic=11545.  msg139570#msg139570 date=1596615745
All military ships/stations require maintenance eventually, you can make station that has long deployment time and large supply of MSP to have longer time bofore overhaul and rest for the crew is necessary.   

Some people build one use stations/ships, that are simply abandoned after their maintenance gets too high.   But I have no experience in designing such specialized ships, so someone who uses those would have to elaborate more. 

What type of micromanagement (if any) would be needed for a military station at the same location as a civilian station with Maintenance Modules, a Recreational Facilities, and a Refueling Hub?

This answer implies that a military defensive station will always require micromanagement, but the Space Stations post in the C# changelist thread sounds like Steve saying the idea behind these modules is that you could station a forward fleet at such a base with only the occasional tanker/supply ship swinging by to keep them running.   The main downside would be that if the position ever did get attacked, you would almost certainly loose the civilian/maintenance component.   So, now I am confused whether I need to change the strategy I am working toward in this play through. 

Edit: P. S.  How do you include hyperlinks to other forum threads in a post on this forum? The url BB code does not seem to work.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 01:46:14 AM by trabber Shir »

Offline Elvin

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #337 on: August 10, 2020, 02:24:13 AM »

What type of micromanagement (if any) would be needed for a military station at the same location as a civilian station with Maintenance Modules, a Recreational Facilities, and a Refueling Hub?

If you have all three of those things in a Civilian station, a Military station (or ships) stationed at the same location would act like it was at a colony planet and would therefore be fully rested and fully maintained forever. The only micro management would be to regularly ship MSP (and fuel, if using ships) to the station. That can be done easily using a fleet with Cycle Orders turned on.

Offline knife644

• Leading Rate
« Reply #338 on: August 10, 2020, 08:14:17 AM »
can civilian ships transit through stabilized jump points

Offline Elvin

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #339 on: August 10, 2020, 10:11:07 AM »
can civilian ships transit through stabilized jump points

Yes, any ship (or even a space station) can transit through a stabalised jump point. This includes any and all non-player races you may come across.

The following users thanked this post: knife644

Offline Dreadder

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #340 on: August 10, 2020, 12:45:43 PM »
Just to check if I got that right - when launching fighters from the carrier in Aurora C#, you have to manually detach every single one, right?

If that's truly the case, then designing and building a massive (and obscenely expensive) battlestar, meant to carry 90 fighters, wasn't one of my better ideas...  :(
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 12:50:44 PM by Dreadder »

Offline Dawa1147

• Chief Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #341 on: August 10, 2020, 01:10:05 PM »
Just to check if I got that right - when launching fighters from the carrier in Aurora C#, you have to manually detach every single one, right?

If that's truly the case, then designing and building a massive (and obscenely expensive) battlestar, meant to carry 90 fighters, wasn't one of my better ideas...  :(
In the Ship List, you can drag a box over multiple ships, and detach them as one fleet

The following users thanked this post: Dreadder

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #342 on: August 10, 2020, 01:30:29 PM »

You can put them in a sub-fleet and detach/rejoin the sub-fleet as a fleet (easiest), or you can use multiple select from the ship list using ctrl-click or shift-click and then click detach.

The following users thanked this post: Dreadder

Offline Geeptoon

• Leading Rate
  • G
« Reply #343 on: August 10, 2020, 01:43:01 PM »
If I start a game with only ten systems and 3 three NPR's not using know stars and then latter change to Known Stars and and 1000 systems will the known stars connect to the original systems created? Will I have to re-gravsurvey the systems?  And Will the NPR's be able to Explore and generate new systems?

Offline Dreadder

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #344 on: August 10, 2020, 02:16:17 PM »
You can put them in a sub-fleet and detach/rejoin the sub-fleet as a fleet (easiest), or you can use multiple select from the ship list using ctrl-click or shift-click and then click detach.
Thank you, I really didn't know that. That actually makes using carriers a viable option. :)

EDIT: That was actually meant as a reply to Dawa but it holds true for both replies. :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 02:18:21 PM by Dreadder »