Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 345817 times)

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #405 on: August 21, 2020, 10:52:45 AM »
But that doesn't make sense either, because that only asymptotically approaches zero.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #406 on: August 21, 2020, 11:38:11 AM »
    s = max(0, 1 - .05*(c+1) - min(.7, (p/1000)¼))

then, ignoring the constraints temporarily:

ds/dp = -0.05*c - 0.222285*p¼ + 0.95

if we set ds/dp to zero and solve for p, we discover that

pmax = ((19 - c)/4.457)4

which will be true as long as 1.7 <= c <= 19, and p is less than 0.2401 billion. pmax will be a good number to put in that spreadsheet…

Edit: this forum doesn't really like unicode, does it?

My mistake was in writing the formula for s into the post, but I had it correct when I actually did the math. max(0, 1 - .05*(c+1) - min(.7, (p/1000)¼)) is the percentage assigned to the manufacturing center, so multiplying that by p gets us the _population_ of the manufacturing center. And it bumps the power of p up by one which we then undo when we take the derivative.

s = p*max(0, 1 - .05*(c+1) - min(.7, (p/1000)¼))
    ds/dp = -0.05*c - 0.222285*p¼ + 0.95
    pmax = ((19 - c)/4.457)4

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #407 on: August 21, 2020, 11:47:51 AM »
max(0, 1 - .05*(c+1) - min(.7, (p/1000)¼)) is the percentage assigned to the manufacturing center, so multiplying that by p gets us the _population_ of the manufacturing center.

Of course! I knew we were overlooking something obvious.

One more minor thing. You have:

pmax = ((19 - c)/4.457)4

But 0.222285 * 20 = 4.4457.
Your version is missing a 4?

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #408 on: August 21, 2020, 12:39:57 PM »
pmax = ((19 - c)/4.457)4

But 0.222285 * 20 = 4.4457.
Your version is missing a 4?

Oh, good catch. I've fixed the error in my spreadsheet as well.

Offline Dreadder

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #409 on: August 21, 2020, 01:19:48 PM »
OK, I've encountered quite a few alien civilizations during my playthrough (Precursors, Swarm and 5 different NPRs) and at some point I suddenly stopped accumulating diplomatic points with the last encountered NPR. I initiated communications, their language was translated, the diplomatic rating reached 26 points and then it looks like it stopped - I don't recall if I did something to cause that myself or not, because I probably didn't notice it right away. I should mention that diplomatic points with the 3 other NPRs rise normally (I am at war with the fourth and more or less obliterated them). I also don't get an intelligence update about diplomatic contact with this last race, like I do for the other 3.

First thing I did, was I checked if my diplomatic ship has active sensors turned on and if she's in contact with the alien ship and everything seemed to be in order - my diplomatic ship was parked on the same spot as their diplomatic ship and the AS were turned on (and yes, my ship has a diplomatic module and their language was translated). I checked if perhaps the sensor detection in the system is turned off through SM and it wasn't, neither was the DR fixed by SM - I even tried freezing and unfreezing it.

The next thing I did was I sent a different class of ship with a diplomatic module to their diplomacy ship and still nothing. So I decided to send my diplomatic ship into one of their systems, just in case alien diplomatic ship didn't have active sensors or something similar (I mean hey, I suppose I could encounter a race of dumbasses - I see no reason as to why us humans should be unique in that regard ;D ). They seem to see my ship all right, since I immediately started getting an alien communication requesting I withdraw my ship, but the DR still doesn't change.

I should mention, that I turned Swarm off, sometime while the campaign was already running and instead turned the Invaders on - I actually thought I encountered the invaders when I first met this race, since their ship looked rather unique (like a very aggressive flower blossom, I suppose?) but considering their name seems to be Empire of Port Lincoln, I don't think that's really the case. :) I still haven't encountered the Invaders though.

I am at bit of a loss as to what else to try, so does anyone have any suggestion, perhaps even encountered something similar or have I by chance encountered a bug?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 01:21:37 PM by Dreadder »

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #410 on: August 21, 2020, 02:21:52 PM »
I am at bit of a loss as to what else to try, so does anyone have any suggestion, perhaps even encountered something similar or have I by chance encountered a bug?

It could be a bug. In my current game I can't gain any diplomatic points for one empire while I can gain them for another. It's not the ship design, since it's the same ship in both cases. I know of one planet for each of them where there are always ships. If I hang out at the first one, I get no diplomatic messages. If I hang out at the second one, I get diplomatic messages as well as threats (I think that's their capital, so it's understandable that they would be touchy.) In both cases they're running their active sensors (the contacts show a GPS strength for them). If I "hang out" near some precursors, I get messages saying that no diplomatic progress has been made because they refuse to talk. It certainly seems like a bug, even if there's some factor that the game doesn't tell us about.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #411 on: August 21, 2020, 02:24:23 PM »
Any idea what the max agricultural sector size is? Is it just 100% at a 19cc world?

Since nobody else has answered, I'll say that this is the case if I've done the math correctly. Maybe for science I'll find an 18.9cc and a 19cc world and colonize them to compare.

The following users thanked this post: Dutchling

Offline Dutchling

• Lt. Commander
  • Baby Snatcher!
« Reply #412 on: August 21, 2020, 03:31:52 PM »
How many days are there in a year?

Offline Dreadder

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #413 on: August 21, 2020, 03:51:26 PM »

It could be a bug. In my current game I can't gain any diplomatic points for one empire while I can gain them for another. It's not the ship design, since it's the same ship in both cases. I know of one planet for each of them where there are always ships. If I hang out at the first one, I get no diplomatic messages. If I hang out at the second one, I get diplomatic messages as well as threats (I think that's their capital, so it's understandable that they would be touchy.) In both cases they're running their active sensors (the contacts show a GPS strength for them). If I "hang out" near some precursors, I get messages saying that no diplomatic progress has been made because they refuse to talk. It certainly seems like a bug, even if there's some factor that the game doesn't tell us about.
Hmm, I'll wait for a while if anyone else has any other idea and report it as a bug if not.

As an update - I tried attacking the race in question and at least that finally changed the DR (to negative of course). I am bit sorry I didn't follow through and try to re-establish diplomatic relations with them to see if perhaps the war finally managed to reset the issue.

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #414 on: August 21, 2020, 09:51:43 PM »
Any idea what the max agricultural sector size is? Is it just 100% at a 19cc world?

Since nobody else has answered, I'll say that this is the case if I've done the math correctly. Maybe for science I'll find an 18.9cc and a 19cc world and colonize them to compare.

You can use SM mode to alter a body. Change the albedo to raise/lower the temp to get the col cost you want.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #415 on: August 23, 2020, 12:53:27 AM »
Is it possible to stop on new neutral contacts?

Offline MasonMac

• Registered
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
« Reply #416 on: August 23, 2020, 01:22:21 AM »
Why is it that Aurora4x's updates are not save game compatible? Since it seems like all the savefile data is stored in separate tables from global data, wouldn't a script be able to cut+paste the old save data to the new aurora4x database? Or is there another reason?

Offline Elvin

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #417 on: August 23, 2020, 03:22:47 AM »
Why is it that Aurora4x's updates are not save game compatible? Since it seems like all the savefile data is stored in separate tables from global data, wouldn't a script be able to cut+paste the old save data to the new aurora4x database? Or is there another reason?

It depends on whether new data needs to be stored in the save file. At that point it becomes non-trivial to retrofit that new data into old saves, in general.

Having said that, I know a few people have successfully modified their databases to work with newer versions. I certainly wouldn't advise it though, it'd be so easy to mess it up and ruin the game.

Offline MasonMac

• Registered
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
« Reply #418 on: August 23, 2020, 02:05:40 PM »
I dumped the dbs of 1.9 and 1.11 and ran WinMerge. It said they were the exact same.

Offline ranger044

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • r
« Reply #419 on: August 23, 2020, 03:55:34 PM »
Is it possible to stop on new neutral contacts?

There's a mod for that. Check the approved mods forum for the event toggler mod. Once you run the program, select your database and find the box you're looking for.

The following users thanked this post: db48x