Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 345827 times)

Offline Romalar

• Leading Rate
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #555 on: October 25, 2020, 10:01:17 AM »
Quote from: jscott991 link=topic=11545. msg142217#msg142217 date=1603558252
Is there an easy way to see the commandants of my academies?

I've lost track of who I put where (I have about 10 different academies on 10 different planets) and since it influences the type of leaders produced, I don't want to overdo one category.

Figuring out what leaders are doing what is actually kind of hard in this game (unless I'm missing some easy display somewhere).

Not exactly, but there is a way to more easily scan by eye for them:
  • Open the commanders window.
  • Use the bottom-right pane to see a list of commanders with their assignments.
  • Look for commanders with the "ACM" tag in the second column.
  • Filter by the particular category of commander you may have used.
  • Since you have to have a higher rank to run an academy most of the time, filter to the rank(s) you might have used at the time.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 10:03:19 AM by Romalar »

The following users thanked this post: jscott991

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #556 on: October 26, 2020, 08:45:19 AM »
Will changing difficulty midway through game affect already spawned NPR's?

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #557 on: October 26, 2020, 10:41:27 AM »
Also it seems in 1.12 pressing point defense on the STO design does not increase the tracking speed anymore is only reduces the max range, is this intended? is it a display bug? anyone know whats going on with it?

Offline Ektor

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #558 on: October 26, 2020, 10:59:12 AM »

I think it's a modifier to new NPR spawns, old ones will remain unaffected.

Offline Romalar

• Leading Rate
« Reply #559 on: October 27, 2020, 02:42:32 AM »
Quote from: DFNewb link=topic=11545. msg142293#msg142293 date=1603726887
Also it seems in 1. 12 pressing point defense on the STO design does not increase the tracking speed anymore is only reduces the max range, is this intended? is it a display bug? anyone know whats going on with it?

It appears that this only changes the fire control tracking and only does so if you've chosen a turret.  When I do choose a turret for the STO and click "Point Defense Weapon", I get 4X the fire control tracking and 1/4 the fire control range.

Offline Kylemmie

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #560 on: October 27, 2020, 09:28:05 AM »
I've false started a few games as I learn the mechanics and thus far I've only bothered terraforming the ~2. 0 CC pretty blue worlds.  This game I got the surprise of a Dormant in Sol.  On Triton. 

1) So that means I just learned the hard way about the max 3. 0 Greenhouse factor.  Saved and restarted many times trying to figure out why it was (seemed to be) bugging and Greenhouse Gas was not raising temp anymore. . .   Finally nailed the right search terms and found a convo about the max factor.  So it makes sense that there is a hard limit on how much I can raise the temp.  Stuck at -133.   Just want to make sure this noob isn't missing another trick to get temp up.

2) Never bothered colonizing an LG world before.  In order to make use of the % Research bonus from the dormant that I have explored, I need 1M available workers per RF.  That's a crapload of LG Infra on a 5+ CC world.  I've been using 15-25% of my Industry for over 3 decades and still only managed a mere 9 RF worth of free pop.  Orbitals just seemed too expensive for this large a project.  If I understand the latest scuttlebutt, genetics is currently not working, so making an LG Version of Humanity is not an option.  Has anyone done a basic calculation of the break even on building Orb Habs  vs LG Infra on diff CC? Shouldn't be hard, just no reason to reinvent the wheel if the info is already out here. 

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #561 on: October 27, 2020, 11:43:33 AM »
I've false started a few games as I learn the mechanics and thus far I've only bothered terraforming the ~2. 0 CC pretty blue worlds.  This game I got the surprise of a Dormant in Sol.  On Triton. 

1) So that means I just learned the hard way about the max 3. 0 Greenhouse factor.  Saved and restarted many times trying to figure out why it was (seemed to be) bugging and Greenhouse Gas was not raising temp anymore. . .   Finally nailed the right search terms and found a convo about the max factor.  So it makes sense that there is a hard limit on how much I can raise the temp.  Stuck at -133.   Just want to make sure this noob isn't missing another trick to get temp up.

You can raise the temperature either by raising the Greenhouse Factor, or by increasing solar insolation.

2) Never bothered colonizing an LG world before.  In order to make use of the % Research bonus from the dormant that I have explored, I need 1M available workers per RF.  That's a crapload of LG Infra on a 5+ CC world.  I've been using 15-25% of my Industry for over 3 decades and still only managed a mere 9 RF worth of free pop.  Orbitals just seemed too expensive for this large a project.  If I understand the latest scuttlebutt, genetics is currently not working, so making an LG Version of Humanity is not an option.  Has anyone done a basic calculation of the break even on building Orb Habs  vs LG Infra on diff CC? Shouldn't be hard, just no reason to reinvent the wheel if the info is already out here.

The threshold is around 4-5 Colony Cost; higher than that and it's cheaper to use orbital habitats. Orbital Habitats are nice because 100% of their population goes into the manufacturing sector, whereas on a high cost world only a small fraction of the population will be left available for the manufacturing sector. Perhaps terraforming small worlds works, but the atmosphere actually bleeds away? I don't recall how Steve said he was going to implement it.

The really odd thing is that Triton's gravity is below the threshold where terraforming is supposed to be impossible; that could be a bug. Also, the max service sector size should only be 2 or 3 million at Colony Cost 9. Still, I suppose if you've managed to terraform it then that would be higher.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #562 on: October 27, 2020, 01:16:14 PM »
CC5 is the breakpoint for orbital habitats if I recall the math calculation correctly.

I think it's a modifier to new NPR spawns, old ones will remain unaffected.
Correct, it will not affect existing NPRs, only new ones.

Offline Kylemmie

• K
« Reply #563 on: October 27, 2020, 01:44:09 PM »

You can raise the temperature either by raising the Greenhouse Factor, or by increasing solar insolation.

Okay. little confused. Temp stopped rising once I hit over 3 Atmo of Greenhouse gas. After searching for info I stumbled across a bit that indicates that is working at intended. So addition of more Greenhouse Gas (over 3 atmo pressure) would not work, correct?

Did a search for 'Solar Insulation' and couldn't find any info as it relates to Aurora.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #564 on: October 27, 2020, 01:46:31 PM »
GH pressure of 3 is indeed the maximum. I think db48x is mixing up VB6 and C# terraforming terms and mechanics.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #565 on: October 27, 2020, 05:54:42 PM »
GH pressure of 3 is indeed the maximum. I think db48x is mixing up VB6 and C# terraforming terms and mechanics.

No, I'm not. In C#, the only ways to increase temperature are increasing Greenhouse Pressure (which you've already discovered is capped at 3.0) and increasing insolation.

I am however deliberately using a real-world scientific term rather than the in-game term because anyone who tried it might blame me for ruining their game.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 05:56:15 PM by db48x »

Offline Kylemmie

• K
« Reply #566 on: October 28, 2020, 09:41:21 AM »

No, I'm not. In C#, the only ways to increase temperature are increasing Greenhouse Pressure (which you've already discovered is capped at 3.0) and increasing insolation.

I am however deliberately using a real-world scientific term rather than the in-game term because anyone who tried it might blame me for ruining their game.

Is this some sort of Scientific hazing that experienced players try on new guys?    "I know of a game mechanic, but I won't tell you outright. Yeah, so you are an accountant - go get a science degree and maybe I'll talk" ??

With SM and backing up the DB - Is that 'blame me for ruining their game' hyperbole? I've started Aurora over at least a dozen times as I work my way thru learning what works min/max and what leads to the spiral of self destruction. I play this game to learn it.

Here is a helpful tidbit - If you want this community to grow, don't tell new players they are too dumb to give information to when they ask to be educated... 

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #567 on: October 28, 2020, 10:26:34 AM »
Here is a helpful tidbit - If you want this community to grow, don't tell new players they are too dumb to give information to when they ask to be educated...

You're the boss, so you know best. Go to the game settings (gear icon), and choose Solar Warming: 3%/Year from the Sol Disasters dropdown. This will gradually increase the insolation at your Sol colonies. Good luck!

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #568 on: October 28, 2020, 12:28:14 PM »

LMAO okay yeah I didn't understand the joke you were going for  ;D that would indeed work
if only temporarily

Is this some sort of Scientific hazing that experienced players try on new guys?
Nah bro, don't get upset - he was going for a joke about the Solar Warming catastrophe scenario you can pick at game settings.

That does make me wonder if anyone has done that catastrophe start and remained in Sol. Do the outer planets get too hot in a reasonable time or does it take centuries? I know the usual tactic is to move people from Earth to Mars as a stopgap while you find a suitable extra-Solar colony.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 12:31:00 PM by Garfunkel »

Offline the obelisk

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • t
« Reply #569 on: October 28, 2020, 11:53:11 PM »
Is the auto-assign tech option when creating a race supposed to always ignore jump point theory?  I don't think I've ever had a race I've used that option on start with jump point tech.