Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 354682 times)

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #630 on: November 12, 2020, 05:07:07 AM »
Then another drawback is that your officer is instantly teleported back to his/her homeplanet? Weird somehow, not everyone wants to have Star Trek teleporters in his game  ;D
Edit: Unless the officer remains in the ship as passenger?

----------
Can't find where it is shown that a ship has her active sensor ON or OFF and which ones. And how to switch between ON and OFF ... Can someone point me to the (probably) obvious?
----------
How do you transfer fuel to a colony, or MSP? I have a tanker (checked as tanker) and targeting a location with spaceport, I don't have the choice to offload fuel.
----------
What happens if a survey ship spend some time surveying, but is not finished when a standing order kicks in (like going for refit). I have one my early survey ship orbiting Venus, and she will spend something like 6 months surveying. I would prefer not have her cancel in the last week the survey :-)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 05:36:57 AM by vorpal+5 »

Offline Harold65

• Petty Officer
  • H
« Reply #631 on: November 12, 2020, 09:08:42 AM »
I don't understand why higher tech weapons have ranges way beyond the max BFC. If I have a 50cm Extreme X-ray Laser with a range of just over 5m km, my beam control, even fully maxed, will only reach 1.4m km.

What's the benefit of having weapons that outrange the BFC?

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #632 on: November 12, 2020, 09:55:03 AM »
Then another drawback is that your officer is instantly teleported back to his/her homeplanet? Weird somehow, not everyone wants to have Star Trek teleporters in his game  ;D

----------
Can't find where it is shown that a ship has her active sensor ON or OFF and which ones. And how to switch between ON and OFF ... Can someone point me to the (probably) obvious?
----------
How do you transfer fuel to a colony, or MSP? I have a tanker (checked as tanker) and targeting a location with spaceport, I don't have the choice to offload fuel.
----------
What happens if a survey ship spend some time surveying, but is not finished when a standing order kicks in (like going for refit). I have one my early survey ship orbiting Venus, and she will spend something like 6 months surveying. I would prefer not have her cancel in the last week the survey :-)

Active sensors: in the fleet status screen that lists all the ships in the fleet, if there is an "A" that means its actives are on. A ship has to turn all its actives on and off together. You can issue a movement order to turn on actives at a location or select a single ship in the tree and press the "active on" button along the bottom.

Fuel to colony: you need a tanker with a refueling system and a colony with a spaceport (and enough workers) or a refuelling station.

MSP to colony: you need a ship with cargo shuttles that is marked collier.

Not completely sure about the standing order interrupt. I THINK it finishes its current survey order, but I'm not positive of that.

The following users thanked this post: vorpal+5

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #633 on: November 12, 2020, 10:17:34 AM »
I don't understand why higher tech weapons have ranges way beyond the max BFC. If I have a 50cm Extreme X-ray Laser with a range of just over 5m km, my beam control, even fully maxed, will only reach 1.4m km.

It still increases your damage.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #634 on: November 12, 2020, 10:27:57 AM »

It still increases your damage.

Specifically its got to do with damage falloff, weapons will do less damage based on the % of their max range their target is at. So in your case your 5M range laser will be doing more damage per shot than a 50cm laser with only 1.4m range.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #635 on: November 12, 2020, 11:13:02 AM »

----------
----------
----------

Active sensors: in the fleet status screen that lists all the ships in the fleet, if there is an "A" that means its actives are on. A ship has to turn all its actives on and off together. You can issue a movement order to turn on actives at a location or select a single ship in the tree and press the "active on" button along the bottom.

Fuel to colony: you need a tanker with a refueling system and a colony with a spaceport (and enough workers) or a refuelling station.

MSP to colony: you need a ship with cargo shuttles that is marked collier.

Not completely sure about the standing order interrupt. I THINK it finishes its current survey order, but I'm not positive of that.

So given refueling system weights 500 tons, you can't design anymore fighters as mini-tankers?

Similar remark, shuttle systems weights 500 tons, does it means a fighter can't transfer MSP? Or can it, given that's a fighter and it is supposed to land by itself?

-----
My fighters on Earth still accrue clock time, even if there is quite enough maintenance facility. Plus they don't want to rewind clock! What is weird is that the tonnage supported by the facilities clearly take them into account. Me confused.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 11:18:55 AM by vorpal+5 »

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #636 on: November 12, 2020, 11:25:14 AM »
So given refueling system weights 500 tons, you can't design anymore fighters as mini-tankers?

Similar remark, shuttle systems weights 500 tons, does it means a fighter can't transfer MSP? Or can it, given that's a fighter and it is supposed to land by itself?

As far as I recall a suggestion was made to reduce the tonnage of such components to allow fighter sized tankers and freighters (a new smaller cargo bay maybe?).
However if you cannot wait such changes could be made on the DB level to both reduce the tonnage of the components and to add a new smaller cargo bay that could fit into a fighter. I cannot say of the consequences this might have on existing ships that have those components before that though so beware.

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #637 on: November 12, 2020, 11:38:10 AM »

Think about it this way. Weapon damage (usually) decreases with range, and the "max range" of a weapon is the range at which it drops below 1 damage. So if your fire control has a max range of 1.4m km, and your weapons have a max range of 1.4m km, then all your weapons will deal 1 damage at that range. On the other hand, if your weapons have a max range of 2.8m km, then they'll do more than 1 damage at 1.4m km, even if they can't fire further than that because of fire control issues.

Also it's usually much cheaper to refit a ship's fire controls than tear out all the guns and replace them, so having longer range guns adds a bit of "future proofing" to designs.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #638 on: November 12, 2020, 12:31:26 PM »

Steve's lore says that crafts larger than fighters never land on planets, but the game doesn't really take that into account. Even a fighter still needs something that provides cargo shuttle capability (such as a cargo shuttle module, or a spaceport on the colony) in order to load or unload cargo or MSP. Same with fuel, the fighter needs to either have a refuelling system or the colony it's at needs to provide refuelling capability.

Perhaps the lore is just that cargo shuttles are a lot smaller than 10HS. Maybe they are more akin to missiles than to crewed vessels.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #639 on: November 12, 2020, 12:39:34 PM »
Perhaps the lore is just that cargo shuttles are a lot smaller than 10HS. Maybe they are more akin to missiles than to crewed vessels.

Given that mass drivers exist it could literally just be a container with an engine strapped to it that is remote controlled.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
« Reply #640 on: November 12, 2020, 12:43:11 PM »
Thanks guys. Any clue why my fighters accrue clock even on Earth?

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #641 on: November 12, 2020, 01:08:50 PM »
Are they actually at Earth? It's fairly easy to accidentally issue an order that stops them from moving with the planet (like a move to and absorb order, I think).

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #642 on: November 12, 2020, 04:48:16 PM »
Thanks guys. Any clue why my fighters accrue clock even on Earth?
Are there enough workers to run the maintenance facilities? Are there enough MSPs? What's the political stability?

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
« Reply #643 on: November 12, 2020, 10:41:26 PM »
Ok, my error ... somehow. I was too impatient or stressed by this basic not working. The problem is only in the message. It says that the order is completed, but in this specific case it only means that the overhaul is beginning. Then if you wait a few more days, you see overhaul ends correctly.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #644 on: November 13, 2020, 06:36:48 AM »
Ok, my error ... somehow. I was too impatient or stressed by this basic not working. The problem is only in the message. It says that the order is completed, but in this specific case it only means that the overhaul is beginning. Then if you wait a few more days, you see overhaul ends correctly.

Yes, that particular message is not very helpful.