Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 363772 times)

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #660 on: November 18, 2020, 07:02:36 AM »

Is there not a kind of catch 22 for Academy Commandant? I would like Scientists in Sensor, but to increase the chance to get them, I would need at least one scientist in sensor as the commandant, but I have none ...

You can change the field of scientist to sensors and make the scientist academy commandant. I think that how big their research bonus is does not affect this in any way. So if the scientist has something like 3% bonus should not matter.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #661 on: November 18, 2020, 09:39:13 AM »
Commandants need at least a 20% bonus in the field you want them to improve.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #662 on: November 18, 2020, 10:02:51 AM »
I'm trying to create an empty fleet in orbit of Mars for the SY there, but I don't find an option, I can only create empty fleets in orbit of Earth.

If you turn on SM mode there is the option to move any fleet to any location.

Is there not a kind of catch 22 for Academy Commandant? I would like Scientists in Sensor, but to increase the chance to get them, I would need at least one scientist in sensor as the commandant, but I have none ...

Not quite. Having a scientist as the Academy Commandant increases the number of scientists that you will get from that academy, and decreases the number of other commander types. This doubles the number of scientists you'll get. It also increases the likelyhood that each new scientist will be of the same speciality as the Commandant, but only 25% of new scientists will be changed to that speciality.

If you were getting 10 scientists per year, you'll now get 20. 5 of those will be of the same speciality as the Commandant (which won't be Sensors), but 1/9th of the remaining 15 will be. It might still take a couple of years, but that's 50% better than 1/9th of the 10 scientists you would have gotten.

See http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg104092#msg104092

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #663 on: November 18, 2020, 01:21:36 PM »
I'm trying to create an empty fleet in orbit of Mars for the SY there, but I don't find an option, I can only create empty fleets in orbit of Earth.
A new fleet is created automatically when you start building a ship.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #664 on: November 18, 2020, 01:25:44 PM »
A new fleet is created automatically when you start building a ship.

I'm fairly certain that shipyards require a target fleet to build ships into

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #665 on: November 18, 2020, 02:27:48 PM »
Well, it's possible to create an empty fleet if you have 2 ships, detach one, then drag&drop it back to the previous fleet and the 2nd fleet (now empty) remains. But I did not find the possibility to create a fleet without ships from the beginning.

Unrelated, is this still a thing that commanders will be dismissed after 5 years if they don't have a command? I have a bunch of naval officers I would prefer not to lose, and I can certainly roleplay they are staff officers, commanding a shuttle  ;D

And also ... why not check ECCM for STO, it does not change the cost?
They should always have the 'avoid combat' check on, right?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 02:33:55 PM by vorpal+5 »

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #666 on: November 18, 2020, 03:04:47 PM »
Well, it's possible to create an empty fleet if you have 2 ships, detach one, then drag&drop it back to the previous fleet and the 2nd fleet (now empty) remains. But I did not find the possibility to create a fleet without ships from the beginning.

If you click on an admin command, the first button at the bottom of the window changes to Create Fleet. It creates an empty fleet inside the selected admin command.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #667 on: November 18, 2020, 03:25:18 PM »
Unrelated, is this still a thing that commanders will be dismissed after 5 years if they don't have a command? I have a bunch of naval officers I would prefer not to lose, and I can certainly roleplay they are staff officers, commanding a shuttle  ;D

Officers retire in C# but not as quickly, the minimum years of service is I think 10 years plus five for each rank above the lowest. Once an officer exceeds this minimum they have a 20% chance to retire every year, double that if they do not have a posting. This means you can hold onto junior officers for longer without a command, but officers with a command will still retire ensuring persistent officer turnover.

Note that for naval officers you can add modules to your ships like the auxiliary bridge or science department which give junior officers staff roles without being in command of a ship, thus you can make use of junior officers even if you don't have commands for them right away. This is particularly useful since LCDRs cannot command a ship with weapons or more than minimal sensors, so without the staff officer slots they would be relegated to commanding fighters and freighters.

The following users thanked this post: vorpal+5

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #668 on: November 18, 2020, 03:35:59 PM »

If you click on an admin command, the first button at the bottom of the window changes to Create Fleet. It creates an empty fleet inside the selected admin command.

Indeed, but the created fleet will be at the location of the GHQ, so Earth for example. Even if I create it from the Mars command that only controls fleet in orbit of Mars.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #669 on: November 18, 2020, 03:51:36 PM »

Indeed, but the created fleet will be at the location of the GHQ, so Earth for example. Even if I create it from the Mars command that only controls fleet in orbit of Mars.

There's an SM-mode command to move the fleet to any location you want. In fact, I just double-checked and found that you can use the fleet move tool on the misc tab of the Fleet Organization window to move empty fleets even without SM-mode. You only need SM-mode to move fleets with ships in them.

The following users thanked this post: vorpal+5

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
« Reply #670 on: November 19, 2020, 01:10:56 AM »
If I have an HQ at level n and the n-1 unit does not have, is the level n commander providing full bonus or half bonus? Half I would say, right?

And the bonuses are halved for each level, same for Naval Commands? But that's bugged or is it fixed?

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #671 on: November 19, 2020, 02:18:03 PM »
Would it be terribly unbalancing to SM in an Abandoned Outpost on Mars? I like the trope of Humans getting to Mars and finding evidence of precursor civilization.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #672 on: November 19, 2020, 02:33:50 PM »
Would it be terribly unbalancing to SM in an Abandoned Outpost on Mars? I like the trope of Humans getting to Mars and finding evidence of precursor civilization.

Given that there is already a small chance for ruins to appear in both mars and mercury no it would not

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #673 on: November 19, 2020, 02:35:48 PM »

It's your game, so if it sounds fun go for it. It shouldn't make the game massively unbalanced by itself, if you want to compensate you can reduce starting RP or BP by some amount that seems fair.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #674 on: November 19, 2020, 04:53:07 PM »

This is quite a popular scenario to play; have fun!