Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 358055 times)

Offline Elvin

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • E
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #735 on: December 01, 2020, 01:33:14 PM »
I know O in status means ship is in overhaul, but I got some ships in fleet with A or AO and some have not. What does the letter A mean? and why some ships and not others of same type

"A" means that that ship's Active Sensors are online.

The following users thanked this post: unkfester

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #736 on: December 03, 2020, 06:46:35 AM »
What are the solutions to repair a fighter which has innately 0 MSP (or would not have enough MSP for damage control? Luckily for me, the fighter was in orbit of Mars, with a 40.000 tons shipyard, so it was promptly repaired, but it feels weird to have a large SY used for a tiny fighter.

Would enough maintenance facilities plus enough MSP on the ground repair automatically the fighter? If not, what can I do? Devise a "fake carrier" with hangars, insert damaged fighters there and wait for the mothership to auto-repair?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #737 on: December 03, 2020, 11:10:03 AM »
Yes, you need a carrier to house the fighters to repair components. Of course, if the fighters are inside a hangar in the first place, they will not suffer maintenance failures at all.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #738 on: December 03, 2020, 11:17:44 AM »
Yes, you need a carrier to house the fighters to repair components. Of course, if the fighters are inside a hangar in the first place, they will not suffer maintenance failures at all.

Something I've been wondering about: if your fighters are outside the hangar when the construction cycle tick happens, do they get a full 5 day increment added to their maintenance and deployment clocks?

Online nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #739 on: December 03, 2020, 11:44:20 AM »
Something I've been wondering about: if your fighters are outside the hangar when the construction cycle tick happens, do they get a full 5 day increment added to their maintenance and deployment clocks?

Yes. The flip side is that if you time a fighter deployment so that they fly out of the hangar, do their mission, and fly back in before the construction cycle happens, you can avoid any maintenance failures aside from weapons breaking when you try to fire them.

One of several small ways one can exploit the construction cycle if one chooses to. In practice if you are not trying to exploit anything then the average maintenance clock on your fighters will be roughly equal to the time they've been deployed after a largeish number of deployments.

Offline mostly_harmless

• Petty Officer
« Reply #740 on: December 03, 2020, 03:21:04 PM »
Hello,

I read that orbital populations count 100% towards the manufacturing sector. Is that still supposed to be the case for C# version? Since my pop overview says otherwise. I have a surface colony with 10M pop and 6 M pop in orbitals. The Manufacturing sector only shows 4M assigned to it. (its a 1000 CC world).

Thomas

Offline Lord Solar

• See above
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Everlasting Glory to the Imperium
  • Discord Username: Lord Solar
« Reply #741 on: December 03, 2020, 04:48:43 PM »
Hello,

I read that orbital populations count 100% towards the manufacturing sector. Is that still supposed to be the case for C# version? Since my pop overview says otherwise. I have a surface colony with 10M pop and 6 M pop in orbitals. The Manufacturing sector only shows 4M assigned to it. (its a 1000 CC world).

Thomas

Hey Thomas, orbital habitats do not count 100% towards manufacturing.

The following users thanked this post: mostly_harmless

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #742 on: December 03, 2020, 08:10:05 PM »
Has anyone ever done a game where they purposely classify all their ships as military for RP purposes? Is it Hell?

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #743 on: December 03, 2020, 08:40:53 PM »
Has anyone ever done a game where they purposely classify all their ships as military for RP purposes? Is it Hell?

I am quite sure this is the way (The Mandalorian TM) that Jorgen_CAB plays aurora.

Or at least I remember somebody very active in the forum mentioning it.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #744 on: December 03, 2020, 08:54:32 PM »

I am quite sure this is the way (The Mandalorian TM) that Jorgen_CAB plays aurora.

Or at least I remember somebody very active in the forum mentioning it.

Meanwhile I play with maintenance turned off cuz I can't be arsed. Though my warships do have 2-4 years of maintenance life as I still put on engineering bays as if maintenance is on.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #745 on: December 04, 2020, 07:17:41 AM »
I'm not too clear on maintenance overcapacity. I'm trying to figure this out with a real case happening in my game but that's still not too clear. I have a colony with a maintenance capacity of 2000 tons, for 2300 tons of fighters in orbit and 2 of them in overhaul. There is ample MSP on the ground, but there is no spacedock or anything. Before overcapacity, it never prevented correct overhaul though.

So how overcapacity will enter the equation here? One random fighter each production cycle gets skipped? Or all gets some penalties?

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #746 on: December 04, 2020, 07:22:42 AM »
I'm not too clear on maintenance overcapacity. I'm trying to figure this out with a real case happening in my game but that's still not too clear. I have a colony with a maintenance capacity of 2000 tons, for 2300 tons of fighters in orbit and 2 of them in overhaul. There is ample MSP on the ground, but there is no spacedock or anything. Before overcapacity, it never prevented correct overhaul though.

So how overcapacity will enter the equation here? One random fighter each production cycle gets skipped? Or all gets some penalties?

When you're under the cap all the ships in orbit will get enough maintenance to keep their clocks from going up. When you're over the cap, the same amount of maintenance is shared by all the ships, so they all receive less than they need. Their clocks will be going up, but not as fast as if they were getting no maintenance at all. The formula is documented somewhere in one of Steve's posts; consult the index to find it.

The following users thanked this post: vorpal+5

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #747 on: December 04, 2020, 08:33:05 PM »
So I understand that the tonnage was see in Aurora is actually the volume of hydrogen that the ship displaces. How do you convert this into metric tons?

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #748 on: December 04, 2020, 08:35:03 PM »
So I understand that the tonnage was see in Aurora is actually the volume of hydrogen that the ship displaces. How do you convert this into metric tons?

You can't, really. Different components would have different density, after all.

Online nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #749 on: December 05, 2020, 12:43:57 AM »

Personally, I don't buy that explanation and just use tons as a direct mass measurement in my headcanon. But anyways...

The density of hydrogen at STP (0°, 1 atm) is 0.0899 kg/m^3. So one metric ton of hydrogen thus represents a nominal volume of (1000 kg / 0.0899 kg/m^3) = 11,123 m^3. We might as well round this to ~10,000 m^3 per ton to make estimating easier.

This means that a 1,000-ton ship occupies a volume of ~0.1 km^3, that is to say that a "small" FAC could take the shape of a square prism 1 km x 1 km x 100 m. Your definition of "small" may vary from mine, but in my mind at least this is a tad outside the range I would consider "small".

The actual density would vary quite a lot depending on numerous factors (not the least of which is the number of large, spacious atriums festooned with precious jewels and placed throughout the ship to raise morale and display the wealth of your empire), but since the density of steel is about 8 tons/m^3 a reasonable estimate would be a density of 1 (metric) ton/m^3 (likely a gross overestimate, but it serves our purpose) to account for alternating areas of dense structures and circuitry as well as open areas for crew walkways and such. This implies that a "ton" of spaceship in Aurora equates to ~10,000 metric tons of physical mass, which means that your 1,000-ton "small" FAC actually contains 10,000,000 metric tons of matter, give or take a zero. Again, for a certain definition of "small"...