Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 356024 times)

Offline ChubbyPitbull

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #810 on: December 10, 2020, 09:52:15 AM »
With the removal of PDCs in C# Aurora, is there anything equivalent to VB6 where you could plant a few missile launchers with long range missiles on an outpost to provide some basic defense? Or is the only option now to build a space station and the requisite maintenance considerations?

Tracking troops can now have some orbital defense capabilities but wasn't tracking any missile launch potential.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #811 on: December 10, 2020, 09:55:59 AM »
Missiles are now orbital only. Ground troops can have beam weapons, but not missiles (handling magazines and targeting and what not is too messy).

The following users thanked this post: ChubbyPitbull

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #812 on: December 10, 2020, 10:21:38 AM »
Maybe a way to do STO missile combat is to treat formations with missile weapons like MFCs in combat as opposed to individual missile STO units. This would allow a player to target their STO weapons like they would with a ship while also creating useful grouping for STO missiles to prevent UI clutter/micro. (literally organizing missiles into batteries via the existing ground OOB system)

Its not without problems though - multiple types of missile launchers in the formation can complicate things (so a formation has an MFC for each missile type it has? Idk if that's a good solution)
                                               - this does nothing for the magazine issues.

The only idea I have for the magazine problem is to just assign and use missiles in the planetary stockpile and maybe create missile STO as a separate component under static type units whose tonnage/reload speed can vary based on magazine feed efficiency technologies - kinda like how the BFC quality of beam STOs is determined through normal BFC tech.

Edit: Crossposting to suggestions

Offline Kylemmie

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
« Reply #813 on: December 10, 2020, 11:38:38 AM »
Getting ready to build my first set of Border Def Bases and I recalled something I need to verify that I understand correctly.

As I understand it, a platforms tracking speed is the lesser of it's actual speed (or turret) and it's FC. So does that mean any non-turreted beam weapon (particle lance) on a base has a max tracking speed of zero no matter the FC?

Offline ChubbyPitbull

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
« Reply #814 on: December 10, 2020, 11:41:57 AM »
Getting ready to build my first set of Border Def Bases and I recalled something I need to verify that I understand correctly.

As I understand it, a platforms tracking speed is the lesser of it's actual speed (or turret) and it's FC. So does that mean any non-turreted beam weapon (particle lance) on a base has a max tracking speed of zero no matter the FC?

I believe that's correct. A non-turreted beam weapon is essentially a fixed weapon, like a machine gun on a fighter. The tracking speed is only as fast as the ship mounting it can turn and aim it, so a stationary base can basically only shoot another ship that pulls in front of the gun and stays stationary so the base can shoot it!

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #815 on: December 10, 2020, 11:42:26 AM »
Short answer: no.

Long answer: it will always be at least racial tracking speed at minimum

Real answer:

it's the smallest of these three:

racial tracking speed
fire control tracking speed
turret tracking speed OR ship velocity

« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 02:06:05 PM by Garfunkel »

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #816 on: December 10, 2020, 01:57:14 PM »
Short answer: no.

Long answer: it will always be at least racial tracking speed at minimum

Real answer:

it's the smallest of these three:

racial tracking speed
turret tracking speed OR ship velocity

Probably better to write it like this:

Code: [Select]
max(racial tracking speed,
    min(fire control tracking speed,
        or(turret tracking speed,
           ship speed)))

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #817 on: December 10, 2020, 02:00:23 PM »
Yeah, I realized that I wrote it wrong.

Turret tracking speed OR ship velocity

are compared against

and the smaller value is used

though only as long as the value is higher than racial tracking speed as otherwise that is used instead.

Example:

Defence Station A has a velocity of 1 km/sec and a rail gun, plus 4x fire control with 5000 km/sec tracking speed. The actual tracking speed of the RG is the controlling race's racial tracking speed which is 1250 km/sec and the BFC is mostly wasted.

Defence Station B has a velocity of 1 km/sec and a laser turret with 4000 km/sec tracking, plus 4x fire control with 5000 km/sec tracking speed. The actual tracking speed of the laser is the turret#s tracking speed and the BFC is just slightly wasted.

Defence Ship C has a velocity of 1500 km/sec and a plasma carronade, plus 2x fire control with 2500 km/sec tracking speed. The actual tracking speed of the plasma is the ships' velocity and the BFC is mostly wasted.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 02:05:20 PM by Garfunkel »

The following users thanked this post: Kylemmie

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #818 on: December 10, 2020, 02:02:04 PM »
Yeah, I realized that I wrote it wrong.

It's surprisingly easy to get it wrong :)

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #819 on: December 11, 2020, 01:39:49 AM »
I'm noticing that my ships can't get past 22% grade for their crew, whatever the capability of the commander?

Offline ChubbyPitbull

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
« Reply #820 on: December 11, 2020, 08:57:21 AM »
Is there a good primer for designing initial ground units? Been browsing the Designs sub forum and reading Steve's posts on Ground combat changes, but having trouble wrapping my head around what size HQ is needed, what needs to be put in a formation, what mixture of units makes sense, how to make sure I don't run out of supply or lack enough HQ capacity, etc.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #821 on: December 11, 2020, 09:47:32 AM »
Is there a good primer for designing initial ground units? Been browsing the Designs sub forum and reading Steve's posts on Ground combat changes, but having trouble wrapping my head around what size HQ is needed, what needs to be put in a formation, what mixture of units makes sense, how to make sure I don't run out of supply or lack enough HQ capacity, etc.

That question is probably worthy of a whole thread, but here's something I once wrote about the matter: https://www.reddit.com/r/aurora/comments/irh33u/aurora_c_very_basic_beginning_transnewtonian/g4z4r40/

The following users thanked this post: ChubbyPitbull, Kylemmie

Offline ChubbyPitbull

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
« Reply #822 on: December 11, 2020, 09:51:53 AM »

That question is probably worthy of a whole thread, but here's something I once wrote about the matter: https://www.reddit.com/r/aurora/comments/irh33u/aurora_c_very_basic_beginning_transnewtonian/g4z4r40/

This is perfect to get me started, thanks!

The following users thanked this post: db48x

Offline Kylemmie

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
« Reply #823 on: December 11, 2020, 11:33:40 AM »
Is there a way to mass change the missile type in a stack of launchers? I thought I recalled doing it before but I couldn't figure it out last night. Ended up doing it one launcher at a time for 20 launchers. Had to change the name of one of the missiles because it was too similar to the one I wanted to replace and my eyes started getting blurry trying to make sure I was clicking correctly.  New naming convention for missiles implemented lol

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #824 on: December 11, 2020, 01:00:52 PM »
I'm noticing that my ships can't get past 22% grade for their crew, whatever the capability of the commander?

22% is max crew grade in C#.

Is there a way to mass change the missile type in a stack of launchers? I thought I recalled doing it before but I couldn't figure it out last night. Ended up doing it one launcher at a time for 20 launchers. Had to change the name of one of the missiles because it was too similar to the one I wanted to replace and my eyes started getting blurry trying to make sure I was clicking correctly.  New naming convention for missiles implemented lol

The assign all checkbox in the upper right corner works for assigning missiles to launchers (under a given fire control), as well as for assigning weapons to a fire control.