Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 345775 times)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #870 on: December 18, 2020, 04:00:38 PM »
It's possible to at least do something fairly close to this, by spawning in a sufficiently-large fleet with a lot of commercial infrastructure ships to carry planetside installations, colonists, etc. as well as many tugs for shipyards, orbital platforms, etc.

What you'd have to do though is basically move from system to system, mine up all the minerals from whatever decent planet you found with the hope of making enough to not only run your factories, labs, etc. for however long you're planetside but build up a surplus of fuel, MSPs, and other things to keep the fleet going from one system to the next.

The other bit of a tricky spot is that since habitable planets with minerals are fairly rare in Aurora, and the survey mechanic takes time, the model of a single massive fleet flying from system to system isn't very practical, so while your main fleet is anchored at a planet  you'd have to send out survey ships to find the next system (otherwise you'd end up flying through, like, a dozen systems between stops, including long pauses to survey planets and JPs, which wouldn't be exciting gameplay).

In short, I'm not sure this is a quite perfect fit for the BSG flavor, but a more generalized nomadic race is not impossible.

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #871 on: December 18, 2020, 04:12:18 PM »
Fair enough. I kinda figured that would be the idea with the limitations and game mechanics involved.

Obviously it would be significantly worse if you had a race similar to the Cylons actually chasing you so each system effectively has a limited lifespan before they show up with their fighter and missile spam.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #872 on: December 18, 2020, 04:46:39 PM »
Definitely.

I think the main thing is that in most sci-fi, even something like BSG or ST:Voyager, the resource demands are really quite minimal and exist only to drive the plot forward. The crew needs food every so often, drop down on a class-M planet and harvest some berries (until the writers get bored and invent aeroponics bays). Fuel shortage? Find a convenient asteroid or nebula and suck up some hydrogen for an hour or two. Battle damage? The theoretically-infinite cargo bays have you covered unless the plot demands otherwise!

In Aurora the mineral demands are much higher - you need four different minerals in large quantities just to keep a fleet operational (admittedly, three of those only apply for military ships), plus occasional wealth generation to pay for any "ground" troops you keep around. More pressingly, you have to actually manufacture things if nothing else, MSPs and litres of fuel, plus missiles if you use them. Battle damage can be mostly handled with MSP if you can anchor at a planet for a while, but if you lose a fighter - or worse, a real ship - you've got to actually build a new one which costs God only knows what. Same for troops too.

Add to that the need to keep up in tech and generate new crewmen / commanders periodically to replace losses, and of course you need to generate enough wealth to pay for all of these things. We all love the complexity, of course - and again, playing an Aurora nomad race would be a lot of fun once you worked out how to do it (read: died due to mass maintenance failures a few dozen times) - but it doesn't fit well into the RP ideas of most sci-fi shows we're familiar with purely because of that complexity.

TL;DR: Logistics baby  ;D

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #873 on: December 18, 2020, 05:47:21 PM »
I think it would be fun but never something i will attempt with any level of competency. It was just a question on the viability of playing that way. Which is why its in this thread.

Offline vorpal+5

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #874 on: December 21, 2020, 02:34:08 AM »
Is there something to do to start digging an archaeology site? I have a formation made of 20 VEH (each 2 modules) since 2 months on a site and never got a single report. Is that the normal pace or I failed to activate an order?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #875 on: December 21, 2020, 02:56:24 AM »
Is there something to do to start digging an archaeology site? I have a formation made of 20 VEH (each 2 modules) since 2 months on a site and never got a single report. Is that the normal pace or I failed to activate an order?

Which modules are on the VEH? You need XEN modules to first investigate a site, then CON modules to actually dig it out.

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #876 on: December 21, 2020, 06:09:05 AM »
Kind of stupid question I guess...

When you build ground forces, there is a row saying something like this:  Annual Maintenance Cost 0.03     Resupply Cost 6
On top of that, in the economics tab, there is a row for ground unit maintenance cost and not one for ships.

Does that mean ground forces do use wealth as maintenance while ships require MSPs? What happens when I field or even fire STOs? Do STOs consume GSP or how do they resupply?

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #877 on: December 21, 2020, 07:18:19 AM »
Yes, ground force maintenance is exclusively wealth. It's 1/8 of the unit's build cost per year. The ship wealth maintenance cost is paid when you build MSP, which takes as much wealth as it does minerals, same as with almost all other mineral uses.

I can't find anything that confirms STO using logistics capacity when firing, at least not in the rules post.

The following users thanked this post: kilo

Offline vorpal+5

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #878 on: December 21, 2020, 09:57:06 AM »

Which modules are on the VEH? You need XEN modules to first investigate a site, then CON modules to actually dig it out.

The formation has 40 XEN, 0 CON. This is a partially intact colony. Is digging the current step, and not doing xenoarchaeology? How to know the difference?

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #879 on: December 21, 2020, 10:06:18 AM »

The formation has 40 XEN, 0 CON. This is a partially intact colony. Is digging the current step, and not doing xenoarchaeology? How to know the difference?

It probably just needs more time, 2 months is probably not long enough.

Offline vorpal+5

• Captain
« Reply #880 on: December 21, 2020, 10:10:36 AM »
I'm producing then bringing 3 more. I guessed 40 XEN modules is not that much, but I want to be sure I don't need a specific action or something.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #881 on: December 21, 2020, 10:21:04 AM »
So its not possible to add new mineral deposits to planets via the SM, right? You can only add them to the stockpile.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #882 on: December 21, 2020, 10:31:04 AM »
So its not possible to add new mineral deposits to planets via the SM, right? You can only add them to the stockpile.

You can modify planet minerals in the system info screen. Same place you muck about with atmosphere and what not.

Offline Kylemmie

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #883 on: December 21, 2020, 10:31:42 AM »
I'm producing then bringing 3 more. I guessed 40 XEN modules is not that much, but I want to be sure I don't need a specific action or something.

Yup - This is one of the confusing parts for us new players. This is what I've gathered. Putting this down also so I can get corrected if my assumptions prove wrong.

1) Xeno And Geo Ground forces simply require being on the ground to work. No orders needed. Unfortunately there is no indicator to 'know' they are working....but they are. One item I would like confirmed is that while adding more Xeno teams will speed that process, adding Geo teams does NOT speed that process.

2) On some sites, the Xeno team will discover 'buried' ancient installations (that look and operate exactly like yours) that will require Construction Teams to uncover and make usable which you can then ship off site or use there if that works for your situation. The game will tell you when this happens. Const Teams are like Xeno, in that more = faster.  Some sites do not require Const after Xeno finishes their work. (Reasarch Bonus sites for example)

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #884 on: December 21, 2020, 10:40:46 AM »

You're not the first to be confused by that; the lack of feedback trips a lot of players up. Basically, 40 xenoarcheaology modules gives you 20 xenoarchaeology points, and therefore a 20% chance per year to decypher the writings found in the ruins.

Of course, since this 20% chance is distributed out to the individual construction cycles, it's really a .27% chance to happen in any given construction cycle (assuming you left the construction cycle length at the default). This means that the chance to still not have completed the task after n construction cycles is .99726^n. To have only a 50% chance of still not completing the task you will need to wait 253 construction cycles, or three and a half years. Reaching just a 10% chance would require 11.5 years.

Always bring more xenoarchaeology units than you expect. Or, bring exactly 7300 xenoarchaeology points, since that gives you 100% chance per construction cycle…