Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 364980 times)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3075 on: October 04, 2022, 10:15:35 PM »
Does turning off Civilian Shipping in options cause them to also stop making civilian mining colonies?  Or else, what is the most common reason for an empire with 200K wealth to stop seeing them get created?  (the planet in question has 7 to 8 figures of every mineral on it)

CMCs have spawning requirements, given here by Steve - along with the undocumented addition that Gallicite is considered as well as duranium. If the body lacks sufficient quantities and/or accessibility of these two minerals no CMC will ever spawn there.

The following users thanked this post: themousemaster

Offline Xkill

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3076 on: October 05, 2022, 01:55:10 AM »
1 - Is it better to place FFD units in the HQ formation or in the formations subordinate to the HQ?
I'm invading some certain primitive peoples that are being surprisingly tough. Put 12 FFD in a HQ formation with 4 subordinate HQs, each with 4 combat formations, thinking that whatever ships I select to support that supreme HQ will bomb anyone that is engaged by any of the subordinate formations. Problem is, the ships don't shoot anyone under this configuration. In a previous incarnation of my military, the FFD units were in the combat formations themselves. This made them extremely vulnerable to return fire and it was a bit tiresome to set up the support, but the ships would bomb, no problem. What gives?

2 - Is it necessary to specifically tell the HQ formation with artillery elements to support a specific subordinate formation, or will they shoot at anyone that the subordinates engage as long as the HQ is in support or rear echelon positions, with appropriate bombardment units?

3 - Changing a ground unit's template to another template seems to cause no further changes. How can I "refit" a ground unit? Feel like I'm missing a key piece here...

Offline themousemaster

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • t
« Reply #3077 on: October 05, 2022, 04:31:57 AM »
Does turning off Civilian Shipping in options cause them to also stop making civilian mining colonies?  Or else, what is the most common reason for an empire with 200K wealth to stop seeing them get created?  (the planet in question has 7 to 8 figures of every mineral on it)

CMCs have spawning requirements, given here by Steve - along with the undocumented addition that Gallicite is considered as well as duranium. If the body lacks sufficient quantities and/or accessibility of these two minerals no CMC will ever spawn there.

Ah, the duranium was 0.4 and the gallactie 0.1.  figures.

Offline Zeebie

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #3078 on: October 05, 2022, 07:08:19 AM »
Is there any way to produce lots of maintenance supplies quickly? Seems that in the current version they are only produced passively by maintenance facilities, and there's no way to build them directly?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3079 on: October 05, 2022, 07:36:38 AM »
1 - Is it better to place FFD units in the HQ formation or in the formations subordinate to the HQ?
I'm invading some certain primitive peoples that are being surprisingly tough. Put 12 FFD in a HQ formation with 4 subordinate HQs, each with 4 combat formations, thinking that whatever ships I select to support that supreme HQ will bomb anyone that is engaged by any of the subordinate formations. Problem is, the ships don't shoot anyone under this configuration. In a previous incarnation of my military, the FFD units were in the combat formations themselves. This made them extremely vulnerable to return fire and it was a bit tiresome to set up the support, but the ships would bomb, no problem. What gives?

FFD must be in the front-line formations, as the targeting for the supporting elements depends on the target of the supported formation and a non-front-line formation does not target independently. To reduce the vulnerability make sure to check the box for non-combat class when designing FFD units.

2 - Is it necessary to specifically tell the HQ formation with artillery elements to support a specific subordinate formation, or will they shoot at anyone that the subordinates engage as long as the HQ is in support or rear echelon positions, with appropriate bombardment units?

It is necessary.

3 - Changing a ground unit's template to another template seems to cause no further changes. How can I "refit" a ground unit? Feel like I'm missing a key piece here...

Review the Ground Unit Series and Replacements mechanics added in 1.12. Other than manually replacing the units/elements this is the only automated way to replace losses. There is no automatic formation upgrading (yet), frankly you're probably going to be better off building new units anyways for quite a while as the mass of ground forces needed to invade an alien homeworld is very large (multiple millions of tons).

Is there any way to produce lots of maintenance supplies quickly? Seems that in the current version they are only produced passively by maintenance facilities, and there's no way to build them directly?

No. Build more maintenance facilities or use SM/DB editing tricks.

The following users thanked this post: Xkill, NéMeSsIz

Offline Xkill

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3080 on: October 05, 2022, 12:29:18 PM »

FFD must be in the front-line formations, as the targeting for the supporting elements depends on the target of the supported formation and a non-front-line formation does not target independently. To reduce the vulnerability make sure to check the box for non-combat class when designing FFD units.

Do the AI NPRs and spoilers use these tags? I try to play as close as possible to how NPRs function. Don't want to give myself unfair advantages...

Online Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #3081 on: October 05, 2022, 07:18:50 PM »
Orbital fire support is largely harmless. To the best of my knowledge NPR's dpn't use FFD's but that would only matter when they are invading you. Given the timescales of Groudn combat vs space combat I cannot imagine a player fleet and an NPR Fleet both being in orbit to provide ground support, one or the other would be wiped out first

Offline Icecoon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3082 on: October 10, 2022, 04:44:17 AM »
Hello guys, I have an issue that is bugging me. In VB6 Aurora task group management there used to be a button to equalize fuel between ships in the fleet and I can't find the same feature in C# Aurora anywhere. It frustrates me that in my tanker fleet every ship has a different fuel level all the time.   :D :D
If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

If fire fighters fight fire and crime fighters fight crime, what do freedom fighters fight?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3083 on: October 10, 2022, 06:39:43 AM »
Hello guys, I have an issue that is bugging me. In VB6 Aurora task group management there used to be a button to equalize fuel between ships in the fleet and I can't find the same feature in C# Aurora anywhere. It frustrates me that in my tanker fleet every ship has a different fuel level all the time.   :D :D
All replenishments now take time and cannot be done instantly. This includes fuel, supplies and missiles. You'll just have to live with the differing amounts in your tankers.

The following users thanked this post: Icecoon

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #3084 on: October 12, 2022, 04:13:57 PM »
If I put artillery, logistics, and/or construction units in an HQ template that commands an infantry regiment, will the game be smart enough to assign an officer that excels at infantry combat to the HQ or will it think its an arty/logistics unit and assign someone with bonuses towards that?

Offline Nibuddzhi

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • N
« Reply #3085 on: October 12, 2022, 06:04:12 PM »
Good afternoon, can you tell me what it can be connected with, that if I uncheck the "Use Constellation Names" checkbox during a new game, then the game hangs, the processor eats, but nothing happened in the background for a couple of hours.

Offline superstrijder15

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • s
« Reply #3086 on: October 16, 2022, 01:31:53 PM »
Is there a way to "repair" an infantry unit so it is built back up to the authorized formation strength? Or is the only way to build new units and use those as replacements?

Offline Pedroig

• Lt. Commander
  • P
« Reply #3087 on: October 16, 2022, 01:45:26 PM »
Is there a way to "repair" an infantry unit so it is built back up to the authorized formation strength? Or is the only way to build new units and use those as replacements?

Build them in advance and have them in a "Reserve" unit attached to the "Master" unit.  Just make sure you have the series set-up already.
si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3088 on: October 16, 2022, 08:03:26 PM »
Good afternoon, can you tell me what it can be connected with, that if I uncheck the "Use Constellation Names" checkbox during a new game, then the game hangs, the processor eats, but nothing happened in the background for a couple of hours.
That should not happen - possible that something else went wrong?

Offline ChubbyPitbull

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3089 on: October 26, 2022, 10:30:40 AM »
Hello all! Starting new on v1.13.0 and running into a problem setting support.

I have a Division HQ, with a subordinate Brigade HQ, with 4 subordinate Front-Line Battalions. I also have independent Support Artillery Companies, equipped with Medium Bombardment artillery units, which are subordinate directly to the Division HQ and set to the "Support" Field Position .

I'm trying to set a Support Artillery Company that is subordinate to the DHQ to support one of the Front-Line Battalions subordinate to the BHQ, which again is subordinate to the same DHQ. However, every time I drag a Support Artillery Company on to one of the Front-Line Battalions, it simply makes the Support Artillery Company subordinate to the Front-Line Battalion, instead of supporting it. I know support works, because the Division HQ itself also has some Medium Bombardment in it's formation, and if I drag that on to a subordinate Front-Line Battalion, it correctly sets the support.

I'm wondering if HQ unit capacity is messing stuff up? I over-specced my HQ units some to allow more flexibility in a battle to avoid going over HQ tonnage limits when I move stuff around.

My Support Artillery Company is 240 tons, with a Company HQ that supports up to 250 tons.
My Front-Line Battalion is 1000 tons, with a Battalion HQ unit that supports up to 2000 tons.
My Brigade HQ unit is 1000 tons, with a Brigade HQ unit that supports up to 6000 tons.
My Division HQ unit is 4000 tons, with a Division HQ unit that supports to 30000 tons.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong to make my Support Artillery Companies actually support one of the Front-Line Battalions? Per the wiki http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=C-Ground_Combat#Setting_Support a unit subordinate to a superior formation should be able to support units subordinate to that same superior formation. I have the same issue if I try to make a Support Artillery Company support one of the Brigade HQs directly as well.

EDIT: 2nd Unrelated Question, is there a way to remove the name of the day of the week from the Completion Date field on the research window? It often cuts off the day of the month and year from when the research will be done.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 10:56:31 AM by ChubbyPitbull »

The following users thanked this post: Xkill