Author Topic: Update 2 - Planet colonisation  (Read 2491 times)

Offline Geoffroypi (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • G
Update 2 - Planet colonisation
« on: August 23, 2020, 11:56:50 AM »
Here is a new update on planetary colonisation :

I have improved how planetary colonisation and exploration works, and improved the interface.

Each tile can be visited / colonised
Now each planet is divided into 10 tiles. Each tile can be colonised independantly, and have a specific biome. I used to make only one surface generation per planet but realised it could not represent the biome diversity on a single planet. This also add more depth on the colonisation strategy as each tile has its own features.

Now the surface generation use the planet generation at its fullest, for exemple , Ice cover and water cover has an impact on the number of water / ice covered tiles limiting the colonisation options. Maybe a barren tile has more mineral ressource than a luxurious one, or maybe you will prefer to settle near a native civilisation to expl-- .. I mean cooperate with them . Sometimes who will prefer to avoid a tile with an active volcano (those who follow my work know that I have some love into lava and volcano in my game). Tile also locally stores its own lifeform diversity.

Furthermore, It expands the biome possibility allowing for a huge increase in surface generation diversity as now generation parameters are defined by the tile, not the planet.

Most planets in the galaxy are barren

The following users thanked this post: Black

Offline misanthropope

• Lt. Commander
  • m
Re: Update 2 - Planet colonisation
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 05:51:06 PM »
giant nerd cred* if your "tiles" display would fold up into a d20 or d12.  everybody loves hexagons, but they tessellate, ya know?

*not giant cred, giant nerds.

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 08:19:46 PM »
That UI looks very well done, and the artwork is very good. Looking forwards to playing this when you release!

Offline Geoffroypi (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • G
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 02:40:34 PM »
giant nerd cred* if your "tiles" display would fold up into a d20 or d12.  everybody loves hexagons, but they tessellate, ya know?

*not giant cred, giant nerds.

I did 10 because it is a better number for some fraction, it is symmetrical, and because I wanted more tiles around the equator. ;)

That UI looks very well done, and the artwork is very good. Looking forwards to playing this when you release!
Thank you very much :)

The following users thanked this post: Gabrote42