Off Topic > Game/Book Reviews

Falling Frontier - Space RTS with Aurora-like attention to detail and warfare?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Malorn:

--- Quote from: Stormtrooper on January 26, 2021, 12:35:48 PM ---This is just a matter of engineering. Having FTL drive and not going interstellar is like using a transatlantic ship to cross a local river and go back. The idea of a game containing FTL drive but no interstellar exploration seems so bizarre and wrong to me, that's all.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: TheTalkingMeowth on January 26, 2021, 01:13:21 PM ---I dunno. If your FTL is "2x lightspeed," interstellar exploration will be a thing but a true interstellar civ probably won't be. Not when every trip is several years.

And, similarly, no engineering can resolve a problem along the lines of "fuel consumption scales with the cube of the distance traveled" when combined with "every jump places major stresses on the hardware."

Like, yes that's an engineering challenge. But that doesn't mean there is a commercially viable solution.

--- End quote ---

To use a historical example. Getting to the Americas from Europe was an 'engineering challenge' since roughly the time of the Phoenicians. And yet it took another ~3000 years before it was a 'common thing' to any extent. Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it is something that is actually feasible. Have to side with Meowth on this one.

RougeNPS:

--- Quote from: Stormtrooper on January 26, 2021, 11:44:21 AM ---civilization with FTL drive invented

limited to one solar system

pick one

As much as it looks so cool, one solar system is a deal breaker for me. Come on, FTL drive and yet nobody seems to do interstellar travel.

--- End quote ---

Do you know how big solar systems actually are? Also, in the function of the game, FTL is used to make intrasystem jumps, like LPs in Aurora.

Stormtrooper:
I'll answer your question with a question: do you know how big interstellar distances are? I didn't try to do exact calculations to check if it mimics the scale properly, but as a schema just for proving the concept I believe my comparsion between crossing some small river and ocean is good enough.

Squigles:

--- Quote from: Stormtrooper on January 26, 2021, 02:15:43 PM ---I'll answer your question with a question: do you know how big interstellar distances are? I didn't try to do exact calculations to check if it mimics the scale properly, but as a schema just for proving the concept I believe my comparsion between crossing some small river and ocean is good enough.

--- End quote ---

Well, the nearest solar system to our own is about 269k AU. That’s about the distance of traveling to Pluto 6,800 times. Closest Atlantic crossing is 1,600 miles, when scaled to the other proportion it would be a river approximately 1200 feet across.

In other words, making the closestinterstellar trip possible with a vessel capable of making FTL travel to Pluto in 3 hours (roughly double the speed of light) would take about 2 and a half years, and would be the equivalent for terrestrial purposes of suggesting a small primitive river vessel make a transatlantic voyage.

RougeNPS:
I believe Squigles explains it better than i could.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

It appears that you have not registered with Aurora 4x. To register, please click here...
There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version