Author Topic: Boarding dilemma  (Read 3932 times)

Offline Stormtrooper (OP)

• Captain
  • S
  • The universe is a Dark Forest
Re: Boarding dilemma
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2021, 05:36:51 PM »
They can't use final defensive auto fire against a fighter or FAC.  So they'd have to Target them "manually" and if they have some sort of fire delay then they may not be able to actually fire in 5s.  Maybe 15-20s.

Which for gauss and a fast fighter could mean you are outside their range at the start.  Unloading the marines, then back out of their range before they can do anything about it with their gauss.

What kind of fire delay they might have outside of jump shock?

Also, as for the second part: my fighters, going over 50000 km/s, can reach them in one increment if I launch them close enough (although just realised it can't be 250000 km because I need to take into account them moving as well, so it'll be closer to 200000 if I want to catch them within one increment, but also could be more if they head my way rather than retreat).

My "fighter deploy range" is higher than gauss range. So did you want to say that the amount of time spent within their range is actually lower than 5s, hence even if aurora doesn't allow shorter increments, it still takes this into account, making gauss require full 5 seconds which they won't get because my shuttles will spend less time in their range?

If the enemy is not 100% trained then they might experience fire delays. Assuming they are fully trained however I think that you will always eat one round of gauss when you close, I think fleets can only complete 1 movement order per 5 second increment.

So what happens is that you spend 1 increment completing the "boarding action" order and then another 5 seconds finishing whatever movement order you gave them to retreat. If by the end of the second 5 second increment your fighters exit gauss range, then I think you avoid the second round of fire.

Damn it, so then it's as bad as I initially expected - these are fighters, one round of fire is all they need (though with their base accuracy a bit above 50% and my insane speed many shots will miss, though), and since it's Invaders we're discussing here I expect their crews to be well-trained...

Guess I could try it out, though, and if it fails just switch to shuttles instead. One more final question: my squads are 500t but my fighters can carry only 100: does it mean there will be some trouble if, say, only 4 shuttles reach targets or doing loading troops or whatever or will the game handle it just fine, taking only total capacity into account and then recaluclate number of landed soldiers depening on the amounf of shuttles arriving etc etc?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2021, 05:41:45 PM »
Guess I could try it out, though, and if it fails just switch to shuttles instead. One more final question: my squads are 500t but my fighters can carry only 100: does it mean there will be some trouble if, say, only 4 shuttles reach targets or doing loading troops or whatever or will the game handle it just fine, taking only total capacity into account and then recaluclate number of landed soldiers depening on the amounf of shuttles arriving etc etc?

You cannot split a formation between multiple ships except by breaking the formation into individual formations manually. You will have to break your 500t squad into 100t sub-squads to embark them on your shuttles.

• Captain
  • S
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2021, 05:45:15 PM »
Ooooooh, thanks for letting me know... What do you mean by "break into subsquads"? Does it mean simply changing the template to weight only 100 tons and recruiting 5 times more or is there something special I haven't noticed about it?

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2021, 05:47:43 PM »
You could try frying their fire controls with microwaves. This would also solve the issue of enemy ships firing on captured ships. Sure, you'll need to use a bit of MSP to repair the FCs and sensors, but you won't have to compromise between speed and armour on your boarding shuttles.

• Captain
  • S
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2021, 05:50:47 PM »
You could try frying their fire controls with microwaves. This would also solve the issue of enemy ships firing on captured ships. Sure, you'll need to use a bit of MSP to repair the FCs and sensors, but you won't have to compromise between speed and armour on your boarding shuttles.

Neat idea except I'm too damn impatient and I've yet to research a single tech from microwaves...

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2021, 08:39:21 PM »
Ooooooh, thanks for letting me know... What do you mean by "break into subsquads"? Does it mean simply changing the template to weight only 100 tons and recruiting 5 times more or is there something special I haven't noticed about it?

Yes. Break your 500t formation into five 100t formations, either by building them as 100t formations or dividing the units in an already-built formation into this size.

As you cannot create new empty formations in the OOB window to split forces into new formations, the trick would be to build 5x 20t formations and then laboriously shuffle troops between them until you have 6x 100t formations.

• Captain
  • S
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2021, 02:39:49 AM »
Honestly when you told me about this I looked how miserable my 100t formations would look like and ended up severely disappointed with fighter approach. Tha'd require me to send at least 10 shuttles per attacked ship, now add up to that "safety buffer" for taking casualties... And suddenly having 100 shuttles loaded with 100 formations doesn't feel even that much, and I'm not willing to do literally hundreds of clicks per battle... Proper shuttles would allow me to land only 40% of my 500t formations, though, so as a compromise I decided to improve my engines up to the point where I can transport 200t formations without taking losses before fight inside a ship starts.

Offline Gabrote42

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
  • Waiting until I have the Time to play.
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2021, 08:35:07 AM »
How many space marines need to board an enemy vessel to take control of it? Does it matter how well they are equipped? My standard 'Space Marine" wears heavy powered armor and is equipped with what the game calls a "crew served weapon". I see them as Warhammer 40K troops carrying Gatling weapons.
They have to be strong enough to remove the crew and whatever troops they have on board. Crew becomes a formation with terrible equipment but large numbers and IIRC they get fort bonuses on the ships. You might need a decent number to get a hold of a battleship. Crew-served Anti Personnel is a good choice though! Just check it's not Anti Vehicle.
Everyone asks me why I like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  In actuality, my username predates my knowledge of the books.

The following users thanked this post: Panpiper

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2021, 01:24:35 PM »
How many space marines need to board an enemy vessel to take control of it? Does it matter how well they are equipped? My standard 'Space Marine" wears heavy powered armor and is equipped with what the game calls a "crew served weapon". I see them as Warhammer 40K troops carrying Gatling weapons.
Using only crew-served Anti-Personnel (CAP) is not necessarily the best. The problem is that basically, a formation comprised solely of CAP is far more vulnerable to losses, since each CAP is 12 tons, compared to the 5 tons of normal PW. What I usually use is 250 ton "Marine Squads" with 1 CO, 24 PW, and 10 CAP. That way, you will lose firepower more slowly, since losing a PW only removes 1 shot, compared to losing a CAP removing 6 shots. Basically, I'm reducing firepower by 1/3 in exchange for having more health in the unit.

Effectively, assuming equal tech levels, and that marines have heavy armor and advanced gene mods (2x armor and 2x health), then each crewman has a 0.390625% chance to kill a marine when firing, so theoretically every 256 crew will kill 1 marine per combat phase. Against higher tech crew this rapidly decreases (ie if you have racial armor 12 and defender has racial weapon strength 15, then they only need 105 crew to kill a marine every combat phase.)

In comparison, a marine has a 12% chance per shot to kill a crewman, so a 250-ton formation with 1 CO and 20 CAP can kill 14.4 crew per combat phase. However, if the enemy has around 550 crew (which is about right for an undamaged 20,000 ton beam ship), then you will be losing around 2 marines every combat phase. A formation with 1 CO, 24 PW, and 10 CAP will only kill 10 crew per phase but can absorb those 2 marine losses per phase with less loss of firepower since it will only usually lose about 2 shots per phase, rather than losing 12 shots per phase.

The following users thanked this post: Panpiper

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2021, 02:44:56 PM »
Using only crew-served Anti-Personnel (CAP) is not necessarily the best. The problem is that basically, a formation comprised solely of CAP is far more vulnerable to losses, since each CAP is 12 tons, compared to the 5 tons of normal PW. What I usually use is 250 ton "Marine Squads" with 1 CO, 24 PW, and 10 CAP. That way, you will lose firepower more slowly, since losing a PW only removes 1 shot, compared to losing a CAP removing 6 shots. Basically, I'm reducing firepower by 1/3 in exchange for having more health in the unit.

Effectively, assuming equal tech levels, and that marines have heavy armor and advanced gene mods (2x armor and 2x health), then each crewman has a 0.390625% chance to kill a marine when firing, so theoretically every 256 crew will kill 1 marine per combat phase. Against higher tech crew this rapidly decreases (ie if you have racial armor 12 and defender has racial weapon strength 15, then they only need 105 crew to kill a marine every combat phase.)

In comparison, a marine has a 12% chance per shot to kill a crewman, so a 250-ton formation with 1 CO and 20 CAP can kill 14.4 crew per combat phase. However, if the enemy has around 550 crew (which is about right for an undamaged 20,000 ton beam ship), then you will be losing around 2 marines every combat phase. A formation with 1 CO, 24 PW, and 10 CAP will only kill 10 crew per phase but can absorb those 2 marine losses per phase with less loss of firepower since it will only usually lose about 2 shots per phase, rather than losing 12 shots per phase.

CAP will always kill an enemy crew the fastest, which can sometimes be critically important. However it is true that they take heavier losses. What is not true is that deploying PW in your marine formations gives you any benefit, in fact the opposite as PW are worse than CAP in any relevant way. The correct weapon to use instead of PW is PWL, alone or in combination with CAP.

Consider a test case of a 250-ton marine platoon (for the sake of easy numbers, we'll say 10-ton HQ and 240 tons of soldiers) attacking a ship with about 200 crew. Ship crew is modeled as INF+PWL with half their racial armor value and 2.0x fortification value, so if we assume equal tech levels this equates to each crew member having 0.5 HP, 0.5 armor, 0.5 attack, and 0.5 penetration compared to a standard unarmored INF-PW having 1/1/1/1. For the sake of example we'll consider our Marines to have 1.5 armor and 1 HP each (basic power armor and no gene mod techs, the bare minimum needed for marines).

The enemy crew at the beginning of combat can fire 200 shots per round, with a 2.8% chance to score a kill with 12% accuracy (base 20% times 0.6 evasion for INF), which comes out to 0.67 kills per round.

240 tons of CAP comes out to 20 guns firing six shots per round which are guaranteed to kill if they hit, which they have a 10% chance per shot to do. This comes out to 12 kills per round; neglecting attrition this means they need 17 rounds to kill the entire enemy crew. Over those 17 rounds, to a first approximation (i.e. neglecting attrition) the enemy crew can kill 5.67 soldiers which is a full 25% or 30% of the attacking force. In actuality this and following estimates will be somewhat higher due to loss of killing power due to attrition, however the comparisons I make remain accurate.

240 tons of PW comes out to 48 guns firing one shot per round, coming out to only 4.8 kills per round, requiring some 43 rounds to finish the job. During those rounds they would take approximately 14 casualties, similar to the CAP. Thus the PW offer nothing better than CAP.

However, PWL against equal-tech enemy crew only can score 1 kill per hit, and 240 tons of PWL comes out to a much more impressive 80 guns and thus shots per round. Kill rate goes up to 8 kills per round requiring only 25 rounds to kill the enemy crew. Loss rate will be approximately 8.33 casualties which is just over 10% of the force, a massive improvement. However note that due to the marginal stats of PWL, an enemy with superior armor tech will be difficult for a PWL-only formation to defeat.

Therefore against equal-tech only (or at least your weapons tech matching their armor tech), PWL is the most effective marine weapon - and this is not a difficult requirement to meet if you prioritize weapon tech, especially if you do as some players do and research plasma tech as a cheap way to boost your ground forces. However, if the enemy armor tech is superior to your weapons tech, PWL fall off very hard and CAP is most effective. I would recommend either an all-PWL marine force, if you are confident that your weapon tech can match the enemy armor tech, or else a 50/50 mix by tonnage of PWL and CAP which will take slightly higher losses than a pure-CAP formation but since half those losses will be PWL infantry the percentage of losses will be much lower. The latter formation is able to defeat superior-tech enemies if you happen to run into them where the PWL-only formation will suffer badly.

It is also worth noting that deploying infantry with more armor and HP mods drastically reduces the kill rates. Compared to the basic 1.5 armor, 1 HP marines I've modeled here, fully-upgraded 2/2 marines will take about one-seventh as many casualties, at which point the actual cost of replacing losses drops off significantly (especially if you use larger/multiple formations to assault a single ship) and the sheer killing speed of CAP arguably becomes more valuable.

The following users thanked this post: AlStar, serger, Panpiper, BAGrimm

• Captain
  • S
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2021, 03:52:46 PM »
Wow thanks your post was very inspiring and actually helped me decide: For now I think I'm going to use "proper" shuttles rather than fighters and 500t formations. My shuttles go twice as fast as the enemy, meaning only 40%, so around 200t, of my boarding-capable marines will enter combat and not die in the process of attaching themselves to the hull. I use advanced genetics, heavy power armor, improved weapons and a bit of LMG and also some HMG for support (part of this might be overkill but I have no ground combat experience in this game+who knows how tough Invaders are in terms of ground forces weapon and armor strength, I would rather overkill than risk all my troops failing miserably).

The only drawback I can think of when I consider this is that this approach means each formation has only 40% chance of having their commander be with them and provide bonuses (if I could get 200t troop capacity fighters that'd go five times faster than enemy instead I would go with fighters as adviced in this thread, but my tech simply doesn't allow this to happen and engine research is rather slow because it's tied to reactors), but given the numbers presented I believe that sending two such shuttles per one enemy ship might work just right, even if both commanders don't make it.

Here's my design:

Gauntlet MkII class Troop Shuttle (P)      7,901 tons       160 Crew       2,721.1 BP       TCS 158    TH 3,500    EM 0
22149 km/s      Armour 24-35       Shields 0-0       HTK 18      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
Maint Life 0.19 Years     MSP 1,015    AFR 499%    IFR 6.9%    1YR 5,479    5YR 82,189    Max Repair 1750.00 MSP
Troop Capacity 500 tons     Boarding Capable   
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 6 months    Morale Check Required   

Magnetic Fusion Drive  EP3500.00 (1)    Power 3500.0    Fuel Use 64.14%    Signature 3500.00    Explosion 20%
Fuel Capacity 1,000,000 Litres    Range 35.5 billion km (18 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Hope it's good enough, my goal is to preserve at least 22100 km/s plus at least 33b range while slapping as many armor as I can (I play with maintenance off so you don't need to tell me about this aspcet).

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2021, 04:22:44 PM »
Wow thanks your post was very inspiring and actually helped me decide: For now I think I'm going to use "proper" shuttles rather than fighters and 500t formations. My shuttles go twice as fast as the enemy, meaning only 40%, so around 200t, of my boarding-capable marines will enter combat and not die in the process of attaching themselves to the hull. I use advanced genetics, heavy power armor, improved weapons and a bit of LMG and also some HMG for support (part of this might be overkill but I have no ground combat experience in this game+who knows how tough Invaders are in terms of ground forces weapon and armor strength, I would rather overkill than risk all my troops failing miserably).

The only drawback I can think of when I consider this is that this approach means each formation has only 40% chance of having their commander be with them and provide bonuses (if I could get 200t troop capacity fighters that'd go five times faster than enemy instead I would go with fighters as adviced in this thread, but my tech simply doesn't allow this to happen and engine research is rather slow because it's tied to reactors), but given the numbers presented I believe that sending two such shuttles per one enemy ship might work just right, even if both commanders don't make it.

Here's my design:

Gauntlet MkII class Troop Shuttle (P)      7,901 tons       160 Crew       2,721.1 BP       TCS 158    TH 3,500    EM 0
22149 km/s      Armour 24-35       Shields 0-0       HTK 18      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
Maint Life 0.19 Years     MSP 1,015    AFR 499%    IFR 6.9%    1YR 5,479    5YR 82,189    Max Repair 1750.00 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 6 months    Morale Check Required   

Magnetic Fusion Drive  EP3500.00 (1)    Power 3500.0    Fuel Use 64.14%    Signature 3500.00    Explosion 20%
Fuel Capacity 1,000,000 Litres    Range 35.5 billion km (18 days at full power)

Hope it's good enough, my goal is to preserve at least 22100 km/s plus at least 33b range while slapping as many armor as I can (I play with maintenance off so you don't need to tell me about this aspcet).
1. you shouldn't need 24 layers of armor. Assuming the enemy has 25 damage lasers (and you said they have 21 damage), the lasers would penetrate 8 layers at most (if within about 50k-60k km probably). So, you can likely drop armor down to 16 or even 12 layers (leaving excess for safety).
2. Instead of making the craft have lots of range, I would use commercial carriers to bring them to the fight, then deploy the boarding ships while the carriers retreat. That way you only need a range above a few billion, and if your fleet get defeated the commercial carriers will be far enough away to be out of sensor range.

Example: 4,000 ton boarding ship with 6 billion range.
It has a magnetic confinement fusion engine with 3x boost and 0.4 fuel efficiency, which is 1600 tons in size
It has 12 layers of armor, more than enough to absorb some laser hits
It has 30,000 km/s speed, meaning 54% of the 500-ton marine formations will make it.
It can be carried in a ship with a commercial hanger until you find the enemy fleet

Code: [Select]
King Louis class Assault Shuttle (P)      4 000 tons       114 Crew       1 564.5 BP       TCS 80    TH 2 400    EM 0
30006 km/s      Armour 12-22       Shields 0-0       HTK 17      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
Maint Life 0.30 Years     MSP 244    AFR 128%    IFR 1.8%    1YR 810    5YR 12 143    Max Repair 1200.00 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Morale Check Required   

B2 Magnetic Fusion Drive EP2400.00 (1)    Power 2400.0    Fuel Use 348.57%    Signature 2400.00    Explosion 30%
Fuel Capacity 462 000 Litres    Range 5.97 billion km (55 hours at full power)

• Captain
  • S
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2021, 05:05:44 PM »
Your design is very interesting, I definitely wouldn't bother with carriers for my shuttles, but carriers for your shuttles... Well, I could make a carrier that can hold two of these (so one carrier-one attacked ship, simple and clear).

In fact your design inspired me to combine the advantages of both options I initially considered: don't use fighters, but still carry boarding shuttles on a carrier - that way I could further improve your design by cutting on fuel tonnage since I won't need range at all (a few hundred thousands kilometers will already be an overkill in this use case), have carriers themselves (though hopefully enemy won't focus on them, but rather on my other beam ships, in my last encounters they have several ships with 20 x 21 dmg lasers and several with 13 of those, so that's hundreds of lasers firing at me) get within range and then release shuttles right after enemy has fired lasers at a distance that will allow them to unload troops before enemy can fire again.

However, there's one more issue I'd like to hear your opinion about as this is the last barrier for me before utilising your design: gauss cannons. Firing like 300 gauss shots in one increment is nothing new for my enemy. Even assuming the luckiest spread (each shot not penetrating deeper until the first layer of armor is completely destoryed to the last bit etc etc) that's still more than enough to blow your ship out of the sky. On top of that add some other unpredictable circumstances like me failing at timing or whatever might suddenly go unaccording to the plan during tense CQB firefight and I'm in for a disaster. So are you really sure that I should cut on the armor?

• Captain
  • S
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2021, 06:31:01 PM »
I've managed to further improve on your design, now it's half kiloton lighter, goes faster (crosses that 3x speed threshold your design lacked a bit to reach) and is better armored. Ridiculously low range and 1 deployment time I used are only a consequence of choosing to deploy them from a carrier, which means they'll be in space for only a few 5 secs increments before returning to their mothership (I plan to close in with carriers well into beam range and then launch these in right time for the enemy to not be able to fire even one laser before all marines are deployed).

Gauntlet MkII class Troop Shuttle (P)      3,500 tons       116 Crew       1,648.2 BP       TCS 70    TH 2,400    EM 0
34288 km/s      Armour 18-20       Shields 0-0       HTK 11      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
Maint Life 1.25 Years     MSP 1,094    AFR 98%    IFR 1.4%    1YR 727    5YR 10,898    Max Repair 1200.00 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 1 months    Morale Check Required   

Magnetic Fusion Drive  EP2400.00 (1)    Power 2400.0    Fuel Use 261.43%    Signature 2400.00    Explosion 30%
Fuel Capacity 3,000 Litres    Range 0.06 billion km (0 hours at full power)

Here's the carrier I plan to use for these, again, one carrier-one attacked enemy ship:

Patriot class Carrier (P)      23,416 tons       471 Crew       6,556.2 BP       TCS 468    TH 8,050    EM 0
17189 km/s      Armour 20-72       Shields 0-0       HTK 74      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 7      PPV 0
Maint Life 0.56 Years     MSP 5,224    AFR 627%    IFR 8.7%    1YR 9,331    5YR 139,964    Max Repair 4025.00 MSP
Hangar Deck Capacity 7,000 tons     
Commander    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 6 months    Flight Crew Berths 140    Morale Check Required   

Magnetic Fusion Drive  EP8050.00 (1)    Power 8050.0    Fuel Use 64.32%    Signature 8050.00    Explosion 23%
Fuel Capacity 3,000,000 Litres    Range 35.9 billion km (24 days at full power)

Offline Gator_Chomp

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • G
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2021, 04:38:20 PM »
Here's what I've been using with great success.  I put all my RP into engines.  This ship is 1/2 engine by weight.  I gave it a little armor so it can survive a few volleys of missiles as it approaches an enemy ship.  Set orders to board, and then land on mothership so it can drop off troops and be headed out of harms way in one tick.  The time interval can be cheesed to avoid danger all together.  If you select a long enough tick, you might not be shot at and you board successfully.  It's more fun to use the 5 second tick though.  This design has more fuel than it needs.  If I do a redesign I'll give it more armor or more engine.
Version 1. 12
Ashford class Assault Transport      1,000 tons       32 Crew       974.9 BP       TCS 20    TH 128    EM 0
40006 km/s      Armour 4-8       Shields 0-0       HTK 4      Sensors 1/1/0/0      DCR 0      PPV 0
Maint Life 1.37 Years     MSP 182    AFR 27%    IFR 0.4%    1YR 105    5YR 1,576    Max Repair 900 MSP
Troop Capacity 250 tons     Boarding Capable   
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   
Intended Deployment Time: 1 months    Morale Check Required   

Bottle Rocket II Inertial Fusion Drive  EP800.00 (1)    Power 800    Fuel Use 197.64%    Signature 128.00    Explosion 25%
Fuel Capacity 80,000 Litres    Range 7.29 billion km (50 hours at full power)

Whisker EM Sensor EM0.1-1.4 (30%) (1)     Sensitivity 1.4     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  9.4m km
Whisker Thermal Sensor TH0.1-1.8 (30%) (1)     Sensitivity 1.8     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  10.6m km

I used 12 of these
Boarding Anti-Personnel Max Unit
Transport Size (tons) 20     Cost 2     Armour 42     Hit Points 21
Annual Maintenance Cost 0.25     Resupply Cost 9
Heavy Crew-Served Anti-Personnel:      Shots 6      Penetration 18      Damage 12
and 1 of these per boarding party so they can have a commander.
Heavy Boarding HQ
Transport Size (tons) 10     Cost 2     Armour 42     Hit Points 21
Annual Maintenance Cost 0.25     Resupply Cost 0
Headquarters:    Capacity 1,000
It's fairy effective.  One party can raid a few small ships or 1 large ship before they need replenishment.

This is my carrier.  It needs better sensors and maybe more hangers.  I'm considering making it commercial with a maintenance module so it could stay out for a long time.
Free Navy II class Raider      14,976 tons       346 Crew       3,359.2 BP       TCS 300    TH 4,000    EM 0
13355 km/s    JR 3-50      Armour 6-54       Shields 0-0       HTK 77      Sensors 14/11/0/0      DCR 44      PPV 0
Maint Life 3.09 Years     MSP 5,962    AFR 128%    IFR 1.8%    1YR 939    5YR 14,089    Max Repair 2000 MSP
Hangar Deck Capacity 2,000 tons     Troop Capacity 500 tons     Cargo Shuttle Multiplier 5   
Commander    Control Rating 2   BRG   PFC   
Intended Deployment Time: 12 months    Flight Crew Berths 40    Morale Check Required   

Tree Frog J15000(3-50) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 15000 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3

Furnace Inertial Fusion Drive  EP4000.00 (1)    Power 4000    Fuel Use 11.05%    Signature 4000    Explosion 12%
Fuel Capacity 1,550,000 Litres    Range 168.6 billion km (146 days at full power)

Pea Shooter CIWS-250 (1x10)    Range 1000 km     TS: 25,000 km/s     ROF 5       
Girl Scout EM Sensor EM1.0-11.0 (30%) (1)     Sensitivity 11     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  26.2m km
Girl Scout Thermal Sensor TH1.0-14.0 (30%) (1)     Sensitivity 14     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  29.6m km

Compact ECCM-1 (1)         ECM 10

These shuttles have a very high success rate, especially if multiple are sent at an enemy fleet to spread the damage between the ships.  They are great at capturing lone ships.  If they are sent at a fleet of warships, they can usually board successfully, but once the ship is captured it gets a friendly greeting of 100 missiles point blank 5 seconds later.  For a 1000ton shuttle to take out a 50,000ton warship, it's great for asymmetrical warfare.  My navy is tiny compared to my enemies.  I'm on patch 1. 12 and it's still possible to take allied ships for free since they don't recognize boarding as a hostile act.  It's fixed in 1. 13, so I pretend it's fixed in my game.