Author Topic: Planetary Missile Launchers  (Read 3600 times)

Offline Michael Sandy (OP)

• Commodore
  • M
Planetary Missile Launchers
« on: October 20, 2006, 09:21:50 PM »
Planetary missiles can fire larger missiles, correct?  So why hasn't the Commonwealth researched a missile to fire from the planetary launchers?

Maneuverability does not add to cost, but takes up a lot of space.  But they are more accurate.

At higher missile tech levels, there will be combinations of Endurance, Missile ECM, speed and warhead size which will exceed the maximum missile size.  The Commonwealth's only option for an oversized missile is to boost its maneuverability.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Michael Sandy »

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Planetary Missile Launchers
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 05:15:05 AM »
Quote from: "Michael Sandy"
Planetary missiles can fire larger missiles, correct?  So why hasn't the Commonwealth researched a missile to fire from the planetary launchers?

The Commonwealth developed the Bedivere for planetary launch, although they haven't developed an update based on the latest tech.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline kdstubbs

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • k
Planetary Missile Launchers
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 02:50:43 PM »
Steve,
          has anyone set up missile bases on the Moon?  In a perfect world you would have planetary class missile launchers on the Moon to add depth to your planetary defenses.  Furthermore, I would set up an asteroid fortress at the Earth-Moon L3 lagrange point to enhance my planetary defense system, I would also think about L4 and L5

Kevin
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by kdstubbs »
Kevin Stubbs

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Planetary Missile Launchers
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 04:24:38 PM »
Quote from: "kdstubbs"
Steve,
          has anyone set up missile bases on the Moon?  In a perfect world you would have planetary class missile launchers on the Moon to add depth to your planetary defenses.  Furthermore, I would set up an asteroid fortress at the Earth-Moon L3 lagrange point to enhance my planetary defense system, I would also think about L4 and L5Kevin

No one has anything set up on the moon but that is a good idea. Currently there are no lagrange asteroids included in system generation, although now you have mentioned it, I think I might add them.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline kdstubbs

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • k
Planetary Missile launchers
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 05:59:47 PM »
Steve,
        Remember that all planetary bodies with satellites will have lagrange points, I am sure you know this already--I expect I am insulting your intelligence, so I apologize ahead of time.  The interesting thing is what will happen to the Lagrange points in a Binary, Trinary, and Quatenary systems?

As you well know the Earth-Moon system lagrange points are converted to a 3-D loci where objects will remain trapped without station keeping drives due to the influence of the sun.  So if the Earth-Moon-Sun lagrange points are stable, then I would expect to see stable points in the Jovian Trojan points for other Jovian class worlds in other star systems.  

This complicates the military geography of the Solar System, given the ability to position asteroid fortresses at trojan points or Lagrange zones.  Any Asteroid fortress at a lagrange loci would be at the top of the local gravity well compared to ships maneuvering in the earth-lunar system.  

Kevin
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by kdstubbs »
Kevin Stubbs