Author Topic: Freighters (commerical vessels) require at least one engineering space  (Read 2105 times)

Offline SpaceMarine (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
This is a post to ask steve directly about a possible bug and the intended behaviour, below you will see a image of the ship design window with the warning that comes up when you have a commercial vessel but remove the engineering spaces from it and leave it with none, I believe theres an issue here because you can build these vessels just fine if you have none, so either 1. there is a display bug. 2. there is a bug against the intended behaviour and its still allowing constructing or something else is happening.

If you could answer what that something is or if it is bugged that would be great.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
It is a bug that the ship is still commercial. I updated the code so that the 'commercial' designation requires at least 1 HS of engineering.

For v1.14, I've changed the error message to "Commercial designs require at least one Engineering Space". This will appear if the ship design is military, but the other reason for that is the lack of the 1HS engineering requirement.

The following users thanked this post: Bremen, Lord Solar, nuclearslurpee

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
For v1.14, I've changed the error message to "Commercial designs require at least one Engineering Space". This will appear if the ship design is military, but the other reason for that is the lack of the 1HS engineering requirement.

I think this error message is going to confuse new players because we have things like small engineering and tiny engineering etc. which although engineering spaces, aren't 1 HS. I would advise that the message just reads something to the effect of "Commercial designs require at least 1 HS / 50 tons of engineering space".

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
R.I.P. my 25-ton unmanned "commercial" probes, but those were cheesy anyways and this change/fix preserves the correct flavor.

The following users thanked this post: skoormit

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
It is a bug that the ship is still commercial. I updated the code so that the 'commercial' designation requires at least 1 HS of engineering.

Any chance we could get reduced requirements for very small ships?

I like to make small commercial sensor posts.
By small, I mean tiny.
For example, an 8-ton armorless station (just a 5-ton sensor and a 3-month deployment time; basically a glorified sensor buoy).

It seems incongruent to require 50 tons of engineering space for ships like this to qualify as commercial.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Given how cheap a 5-ton sensor is, you can probably just stick 5 tons of maint storage on it and it will last longer than most campaigns do. Or just use missile buoys which are honestly a lot more convenient to build and deploy in my experience.