Author Topic: Decoys.  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Theoatmeal2 (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • T
Decoys.
« on: November 27, 2021, 09:19:13 AM »
Maybe we could have missiles that produce a large thermal or radar signature for a short period to try to trick incoming missiles.
Just a thought:)

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
Re: Decoys.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 11:45:19 AM »
My concern would be that it would make it even easier to win over the AI by using something like that  ::)

Offline Entaro

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • E
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 12:36:25 PM »
It doesn't work that way. If the missiles are already targeting your ship, and your ship is visible on enemy active sensors, there is no way to knock them off course, except, perhaps, to destroy the ship with active sensors that your ship sees.
Nothing else but destroying your ship can affect the flight of the missiles.

Now, if missiles with sensors did not stop moving after the loss of the target, but continued it - then yes, then there would be a point in such things ... but if desired, it is so easy to implement.
Active sensors will target the largest ship: this opens up opportunities for deception: simply create a huge armored commercial ship with a bunch of CIWS.
I'm not sure if the AI ​​uses heat, but if it does, you can keep 1 huge ship with very powerful engines in the fleet. And if the most powerful active scanners are put there, there will also be deception of EM missiles.

In any case, taking into account the level of intelligence of the AI, all this does not make sense, because it is enough to create sufficiently long-range missiles, and it will be possible not to think about protection at all.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 02:22:16 PM »
Maybe we could have missiles that produce a large thermal or radar signature for a short period to try to trick incoming missiles.
Just a thought:)
Basically flares.
It could work as an expendable ECM, you fire/drop a missile and it improves your ship ECM by a fixed amount. At a glance I think it would be hard to balance and design.
How does it work for fleets?
How long does it last?
How do you ensure it isn't a micromanagement hell?
How do you balance it with ECM components?

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 04:40:44 PM »

Active sensors will target the largest ship: this opens up opportunities for deception: simply create a huge armored commercial ship with a bunch of CIWS.
I'm not sure if the AI ​​uses heat, but if it does, you can keep 1 huge ship with very powerful engines in the fleet. And if the most powerful active scanners are put there, there will also be deception of EM missiles.

This is innacruate, enemy missile fire from different salvo's will target different ships in your fleet 1 large target will not absorb all the fire.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 09:00:12 PM »
You can put really high resolution active sensors on the missiles, which means that they will show up on EM at a significantly greater distance

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2023, 11:12:14 PM »
Given that Steve is adding some form of ECM decoys in the next patch I rate this 10/10 thread necro.

The following users thanked this post: Prapor