Author Topic: Twelve Colonies Comments Thread  (Read 22392 times)

Offline Destragon

• Lieutenant
  • D
Re: Twelve Colonies Comments Thread
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2022, 10:02:48 AM »
To be fair, RP-wise you don't need to stop at just one spoiler race, when deciding who to call the cylons, you could have all of them be different groupings of cylons, which makes them sound like a ubiquitous threat in the galaxy.

Technical question: Is the galactic map one screenshot or is it several images stitched together?
I have the same question. Are the galactic map screenshots taken with a big resolution, maybe with a sideways monitor, or is there some sort of button to export a full screenshot of the galactic map that I don't know about?

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2022, 12:49:20 PM »
Technical question: Is the galactic map one screenshot or is it several images stitched together?
I have the same question. Are the galactic map screenshots taken with a big resolution, maybe with a sideways monitor, or is there some sort of button to export a full screenshot of the galactic map that I don't know about?

I did several screenshots and put them together in MS Paint.

The following users thanked this post: Destragon

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2022, 04:15:19 PM »

Unfortunately spreading the window across multiple monitors exposes at least one bug:

http://db48x.net/Aurora/map%20clipping%20is%20weird.png

I think it is trying to avoid drawing anything that won’t be seen, which is sensible, but accidentally using the screen size rather than the window size to do it.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2022, 03:07:47 PM »
On February 28th 2312, the Skywatch station on the Sol – Proxima jump point detected the transit of six small ships: three Termagaunts, two Hormagaunts and a Spinegaunt, all from the hostile alien race encountered in Scylla. The aliens had originated from the Cyrene system, adjacent to Scylla, and had generated the usual colloquial names from Colonial crews before a consensus was reached on ‘Cylons’. They had been regarded as a distant and lower-priority threat as Scylla was in a remote part of known space, with three transits to the small Aquaria colony and five to the Leonis and Sagittaron colonies. Skywatch stations had been established on the Dracon – Scylla and Cymbeline – Scylla jump points to monitor any Cylon movement out of the system and a recon mission in January 2311 had confirmed their forces were still close to the Scylla – Cyrene jump point. Somehow, the Cylons had found a way into Proxima, without detection by any Colonial forces prior to their entry into the Sol system.

I found this a bit confusing, at first I thought the Cylons entered Proxima from Sol, but then you did a re-survey of Proxima not Sol.

In two volleys, it disabled the Skywatch’s active sensor and both passive sensors. The alien ships vanished from Colonial tactical displays. Moments later, it was struck by the Termagaunts’ laser weapons and blown to pieces.

Do you still get intel on weapon loadout despite the sensors being destroyed, or did you already know the armament?

Offline AlStar

• Lieutenant
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2022, 03:15:18 PM »
I'm somewhat disappointed that the innards of The Swarm/Cylons follow traditional naming schema - it'd be more flavorful if they had various organs that accomplished the same functions.

Otherwise, I must say - quite the show! Lots going on in this game, makes for good reading.

Edit: Oh, and just because I'm curious - can you actually do anything with those captured Cylons? I imagine that, at very least, they'd require a complete rebuild to include human-friendly supplies, but it'd be neat if you could - I'm imagining something like the Lexx or Moya.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 03:19:12 PM by AlStar »

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline lumporr

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • l
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2022, 07:40:13 PM »
Quote from: AlStar link=topic=12910.  msg159781#msg159781 date=1649880918
I'm somewhat disappointed that the innards of The Swarm/Cylons follow traditional naming schema - it'd be more flavorful if they had various organs that accomplished the same functions. 

Otherwise, I must say - quite the show! Lots going on in this game, makes for good reading. 

Edit: Oh, and just because I'm curious - can you actually do anything with those captured Cylons? I imagine that, at very least, they'd require a complete rebuild to include human-friendly supplies, but it'd be neat if you could - I'm imagining something like the Lexx or Moya. 

I was imagining it would be possible to scrap the ships and refit the alien engines onto a one-of-a-kind scout destroyer or something like that. 

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2022, 07:47:08 PM »
I was imagining it would be possible to scrap the ships and refit the alien engines onto a one-of-a-kind scout destroyer or something like that.

This is what I would do. Cylon ships lack any fuel or maintenance due to the unique mechanics of their race, and creating the necessary space for these things would probably require significant revisions to the designs in a refit anyways. Plus, salvage ships specifically aren't ideal in a military-engine configuration.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2022, 03:49:27 AM »
On February 28th 2312, the Skywatch station on the Sol – Proxima jump point detected the transit of six small ships: three Termagaunts, two Hormagaunts and a Spinegaunt, all from the hostile alien race encountered in Scylla. The aliens had originated from the Cyrene system, adjacent to Scylla, and had generated the usual colloquial names from Colonial crews before a consensus was reached on ‘Cylons’. They had been regarded as a distant and lower-priority threat as Scylla was in a remote part of known space, with three transits to the small Aquaria colony and five to the Leonis and Sagittaron colonies. Skywatch stations had been established on the Dracon – Scylla and Cymbeline – Scylla jump points to monitor any Cylon movement out of the system and a recon mission in January 2311 had confirmed their forces were still close to the Scylla – Cyrene jump point. Somehow, the Cylons had found a way into Proxima, without detection by any Colonial forces prior to their entry into the Sol system.

I found this a bit confusing, at first I thought the Cylons entered Proxima from Sol, but then you did a re-survey of Proxima not Sol.

In two volleys, it disabled the Skywatch’s active sensor and both passive sensors. The alien ships vanished from Colonial tactical displays. Moments later, it was struck by the Termagaunts’ laser weapons and blown to pieces.

Do you still get intel on weapon loadout despite the sensors being destroyed, or did you already know the armament?

When I refer to jump points, I always use the current system name first. So the Sol - Proxima jump point is in Sol and the Proxima - Sol jump point is in Proxima. In this case "the Skywatch station on the Sol – Proxima jump point detected the transit", so the station in Sol detected a transit from Proxima.

Information on the Termagaunt's weapons was gained in an earlier engagement.

The following users thanked this post: Migi

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2022, 03:51:03 AM »

I scrapped the undamaged one and disassembled the components for research purposes. I repaired the damaged one and then scrapped it :)

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline Neophyte

• Gold Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2022, 08:51:57 AM »
Could we get a map legend of the various races' flags?  There's so many now!

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2022, 09:02:39 AM »
That is one busy galactic neighbourhood!

Offline Destragon

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2022, 10:53:54 AM »
Where did the Agamemnon system on the galactic map come from? I thought it might be the homeworld of the raiders, but it looks like it has jump points, unlike the homeworld.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2022, 11:00:25 AM »
Where did the Agamemnon system on the galactic map come from? I thought it might be the homeworld of the raiders, but it looks like it has jump points, unlike the homeworld.

I would assume it has been intel from interrogating captured ship crew (probably Stave as they are the only non-spoiler race Steve is at war with) as systems can be one of the intel items received.

Offline Destragon

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2022, 11:16:46 AM »
Could we get a map legend of the various races' flags?  There's so many now!
Here, I made a quick one:

I would assume it has been intel from interrogating captured ship crew (probably Stave as they are the only non-spoiler race Steve is at war with) as systems can be one of the intel items received.
Oh, nice, that could be it. I didn't think of that.

The following users thanked this post: AlStar, Neophyte, doodle_sm, Warer

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2022, 02:44:57 PM »
It's probably just a newly discovered system but Steve forgot to refresh the map before taking a screenshot.