Author Topic: Question for folks who play multi-factor or multi-race  (Read 1365 times)

Offline nakorkren (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • n
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Question for folks who play multi-factor or multi-race
« on: June 18, 2022, 09:40:29 PM »
For my next game, which I'm waiting for 1.14/2.0 to come out before starting, I was thinking of doing my first ever multi-faction or multi-race start. I was considering doing one with two races starting an unknown distance apart, to give myself the suspense (as both races) of encountering first NPCs then each other. Has anyone does that, and if so, is there some way to ensure you start a reasonable distance apart (e.g. more than 4 jumps but less than 15), without directly SM'ing in where the two races start? How was the suspense building up to/resulting from first contact?

Also, I'd like to have them start in non-Sol systems. Is there a way to do that without first creating a player-race on Sol which I'd have to subsequently delete?

Sorry for the n00b questions, but I haven't played anything but straight player v. NPC so far.

Update/Edit: Just tried it and yes, you have to create the races on Sol, then move one or both of them by creating a new system in SM mode. As far as I can tell you don't know where that new system is relative to Sol, which preserves the suspense. Only thing I couldn't figure out how to do easily in SM mode was add minerals to the stockpile, so I SM'ed in a cargo pod, had it load mins from Sol and unload at new homeworld, then deleted the Sol pop for the 2nd race.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 11:18:17 PM by nakorkren »

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
Re: Question for folks who play multi-factor or multi-race
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 10:09:39 PM »
Also, I'd like to have them start in non-Sol systems. Is there a way to do that without first creating a player-race on Sol which I'd have to subsequently delete?

It has been more than a year since I made a non Human non Sol game but I am 99% sure you have to create a player race on Sol and then delete it. I am sure that is what I did.

The following users thanked this post: doodle_sm

Offline nakorkren (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • n
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 10:28:57 PM »
Also...

To differentiate the two races, I was thinking of making one human-esq and the other aquatic. To mechanize the aquatic species, I was going to set their required level of breath atmosphere to be 0 to 1000 ATM, which means they wouldn't need to terraform to generate atmosphere, only for temperature and hydrosphere. They still will need the hydrosphere to be liquid, and I'll set some reasonable temp limits for them based on that, beyond which they need infrastructure.

However, I'm not sure how to mechanize tying the population capacity of a planet to the hydrosphere, rather than the current situation where it's 100% capacity until you get above 85% of hydrosphere, then decreases from there. Ideally, I'd like planet pop cap to be linearly tied to % hydrosphere, with 100% being the highest. I can't think of any way to SM that in, other than do some house rules and hand calcs and SM the planet to adjust it until the pop cap is where I want it. Anyone have a better idea?

Offline KriegsMeister

• Chief Petty Officer
  • K
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 09:05:07 AM »
I roleplayed my aquatic species by giving them a 10x population density modifier so that full 100% hydrosphere the population drop off wasn't much off from a "normal" species with 70% hydrosphere

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 11:00:48 AM »

Just so you know, there's a "HW Minerals" button in the SM system view that generates appropriate minerals for a homeworld.
Which does not help with the issue. It creates minerals you can mine in the future but not an existing stockpile of minerals . I can't recall a method of adding already mined minerals either .
You can also manually alter the mineral reserves in the SM system view but again does not help if you want a stockpile of already mined minerals at the start.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 11:07:32 AM »

Just so you know, there's a "HW Minerals" button in the SM system view that generates appropriate minerals for a homeworld.
Which does not help with the issue. It creates minerals you can mine in the future but not an existing stockpile of minerals . I can't recall a method of adding already mined minerals either .
You can also manually alter the mineral reserves in the SM system view but again does not help if you want a stockpile of already mined minerals at the start.

It is possible to create an existing stockpile. In SM Mode, on the Mining Tab for any colony, make sure the checkbox for "Double-click Sets Reserve Amount" is unselected and then double-click the data line for any mineral, which will allow direct editing of the stockpile.

That being said, usually my go-to method for multiple player race game setup is to generate suitable systems and then create new player races on suitable home worlds in those systems, which makes much of the setup automatic (installations, mineral stockpiles, etc.) without having to move things from Sol. You can make the system creation step easier if you are comfortable editing the DB slightly: if you have several starting NPRs you can change them to player races in the DB, create new player races on the same planet, and delete the former-NPR race (this is preferable to taking over the NPR directly to avoid possible bugs in the NPR -> PR conversion and to have a fresh slate instead of the NPR-designed ship classes, ground units, etc.).

The following users thanked this post: Andrew, GodEmperor, doodle_sm, nakorkren