Author Topic: Very slow game turns  (Read 1649 times)

Helpwithlag

Very slow game turns
« on: January 24, 2023, 06:18:09 PM »
Hello,

I recently came back to a 1. 13 game that i got bored of because of the lag, and i was wondering if it's normal:
my 5 days turn take between 1,5 to 2 minutes to process.
I already tried disabling orbit rotations, civillian shipping lines, setting detection on automatic, cleaning the DB. . .
I can shave 30 seconds by deleting all civillian shipping lines, but its still really slow.
The game is 80 years old, 160 discovered systems, 2 or 3 NPR of wich only one is really active.
Any ideas ?
Thanks in advance

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Very slow game turns
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 08:49:24 AM »
Please register your account so that you can post normally. Currently, we have to approve your posts manually which creates a delay.

As to your question, that does sound little long for what you describe. However, Steve has put out version 2.1 already so I would recommend to switching to that unless you're really attached to your current game. If you are, then deal with the NPRs as soon as possible since they are the likely culprits of major slowdowns if you've already purged civilian shipping lines. Also, if you have the "NPRs activate spoilers" option toggled on, then your game might be screwed in the sense that the 2 or 3 NPRs could have generated multiple spoilers that are now busy grinding your game down to a crawl.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 06:42:05 PM »
Sometimes, by cleansing the DB, many players forget to clear the event log.

I have had situations, where by just clearing that, I did increase turns considerably.

The same goes for Fleet History.

Relevant Tables are:

FCT_GameLog
FTC_FleetHistory (which sometimes is a pity)

As bonus info, none of the DB cleansings will ever work if you don't run the VACUUM command in the end, as the entries are only half of the issue, the other half is the DB size which won't shrink if you do not remove the blank tables.

Offline stabliser

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 10:00:24 AM »
Once I found a large freighter that seemed to loop around its orders many multiple times uneccessarily (without throwing an error) and fill up its event log. I detatched it to a new fleet, deleted the old one and it made a huge difference.

Offline Blorkman

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • B
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 02:43:50 PM »
Quote from: Froggiest1982 link=topic=13187. msg163777#msg163777 date=1675298525
Sometimes, by cleansing the DB, many players forget to clear the event log.

I have had situations, where by just clearing that, I did increase turns considerably.

The same goes for Fleet History.

Relevant Tables are:

FCT_GameLog
FTC_FleetHistory (which sometimes is a pity)

As bonus info, none of the DB cleansings will ever work if you don't run the VACUUM command in the end, as the entries are only half of the issue, the other half is the DB size which won't shrink if you do not remove the blank tables.

Thanks for the help, i remember cleaning the db and running VACUUM at the end, but only for FCT_GameLog.
Would cleaning FTC_FleetHistory make a noticeable difference ? What exactly is stored in it ?

Offline Ragnarsson

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 08:41:45 PM »
Would cleaning FTC_FleetHistory make a noticeable difference ? What exactly is stored in it ?
To answer your latter question, in-game each and every fleet has a history of the actions it's taken dating back to the initial formation of that fleet. So a cargo fleet might have records of picking up mines on Earth, unloading them on Luna, etc. Deleting the entries in FCT_FleetHistory removes all those records. There's no gameplay effect, but if you RP a lot or want to know what a particular fleet did at a particular time it would remove that information.