Author Topic: Fast Shields, Slow Shields, More Shields  (Read 1868 times)

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: Fast Shields, Slow Shields, More Shields
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2023, 11:52:45 AM »
Box shields? :-)

Armor, but better, when shields are already better than armor at a high enough tech level? Somehow I don't see this making its way into the game...

It's even bettererer when you consider fighter suseptibility to shock damage (IIRC shield hits don't proc shock).

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2023, 12:26:24 PM »
For some reason one use shields being functionally the same as armour had not occurred to me, yes they are a bad idea

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2023, 12:34:43 PM »
Thinking maybe recharge rates should be much lower than 2x recharge time for increased capacity. Against box launchers/reduced rate launchers you'll still fully recharge most likely. Perhaps the recharge rate can follow the same progression as reduced rate launchers, up to 100x recharge time? And then a shield that doesn't recharge at all outside of hangars/maintenance facilities?

Box shields? :-)

---Well if you scroll up a bit, you'll find that upon double checking my work, the High-Capacity Shields would have a 3x recharge rate, not 2x.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2023, 07:28:47 AM »
--- It's worth noting that the penalty is actually even steeper than I may have initially communicated.

Another way to try and explain the same thing is to explore what happens when we approach the extreme ends (outside of your suggested values but following same formula).

For example a shield with 5% recharge but 195% capacity would be just as useless as a shield with 195% recharge but 5% capacity would (not to mention 0% recharge or 0% capacity shields :P )

The math your suggestion is based on works out in such a way that even if you could sacrifice all recharge you could ever only double the capacity (and vice verse).

Offline Warer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2023, 08:47:52 AM »
Pretty cool idea, there's an example of that in the Last Angel series by ProximalFlame the Compact has all-around shields which are super tough but take a long time to come back up once taken down (though good luck taking them down at all) while their primary rivals have layered mini-shields that go down super easy but come back up near instantly, with most factions have sectional shields that are in between durability and recharge time.

Offline Nori

• Bug Moderators
  • Lt. Commander
  • Discord Username: Nori Silverrage
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2023, 01:16:33 PM »
I like the idea, however I feel like higher shield values will nearly always be preferable because of the volley/burst damage nature of the game. In my current game I have some large ships with some large shields and in most fights the regeneration isn't a big deal. I think it's 2 points per 5s increment. If that dropped to say 0.5 points but I get 25-50% more shields out of it, I'd be pushing over 1k in shielding value.. Just not sure how well this idea would balance out in the game especially as you move up in generator size and the bonuses it gives.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2023, 05:10:53 PM »
I like the idea, however I feel like higher shield values will nearly always be preferable because of the volley/burst damage nature of the game. In my current game I have some large ships with some large shields and in most fights the regeneration isn't a big deal. I think it's 2 points per 5s increment. If that dropped to say 0.5 points but I get 25-50% more shields out of it, I'd be pushing over 1k in shielding value.. Just not sure how well this idea would balance out in the game especially as you move up in generator size and the bonuses it gives.

It would be significant if Rapid Reloading ASMs were any good, they've definitely received some buffs but I think the reduced size launchers focused around the alpha strike still is way more potent where the regeneration wouldn't really come in to play. After all, the Alpha-StrikeTM is what a lot of modern missile doctrine is based around, courtesy of point defense.

The niche were regen shields could be preferable is if you get stuck in a gauss (maybe railgun?) knife fight or you're a particle beam/lance fleet going up against lasers at long range, so there is definitely some tactical space for regen over capacity.