Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 345400 times)

Offline firsal

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • f
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1710 on: May 01, 2021, 11:29:39 AM »
Hello! Will civilian ships make us of commercial jump tenders to transit across jump points? Thinking about a campaign where in lieu of jump stabilization, "jump gates" (i.e. engine-less jump tenders) are the main means of commercial FTL transit, and I wanna make sure it's feasible before starting up.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #1711 on: May 01, 2021, 11:33:21 AM »
To the best of my knowledge civilians only use stabilized jump points, because they need to be certain they can get back.
I'm not certain but you might get civilian ships spawning near large colonies rather than just your home system.

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #1712 on: May 01, 2021, 11:58:56 AM »
Hello! Will civilian ships make us of commercial jump tenders to transit across jump points? Thinking about a campaign where in lieu of jump stabilization, "jump gates" (i.e. engine-less jump tenders) are the main means of commercial FTL transit, and I wanna make sure it's feasible before starting up.

Civ ships will only use jump gates.
They will not use jump tenders.

Offline idefelipe

• Gold Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #1713 on: May 04, 2021, 01:32:27 AM »
Is there anyway to scrap ground units to recover the minerals?

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #1714 on: May 04, 2021, 07:24:13 AM »
Is there anyway to scrap ground units to recover the minerals?

There will be in 1.14:

In v1.14.0, you can scrap ground units for thirty percent of their wealth and minerals.

On the Ground Forces window, select a ground unit formation and click the new 'Scrap Formation' button. All elements within the formation will be scrapped. Wealth is added to the racial balance and minerals are added to the parent population stockpile.

The following users thanked this post: idefelipe

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1715 on: May 06, 2021, 07:44:06 AM »
 - Is there any good reason not to turn all of your Sorium into fuel? Like, is there some other use of the mineral, or should I just let my Fuel Refineries have at it?

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #1716 on: May 06, 2021, 09:15:04 AM »
- Is there any good reason not to turn all of your Sorium into fuel? Like, is there some other use of the mineral, or should I just let my Fuel Refineries have at it?

You might find this post useful.

Short answer: the only other use for sorium is in Jump Engines and JP Stabilization modules.
So, don't run yourself completely out, but generally speaking you can feed it all to your refineries, as long as you can siphon some off when needed to build jump ships and gate builders.

The following users thanked this post: xenoscepter

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1717 on: May 06, 2021, 11:37:53 AM »
It's not a bad idea to make a sort of emergency storage for minerals - use Luna (if there's no industry there) or Ceres for it, put down 1k tons of each mineral (maybe 2k Duranium), and then leave it untouched until a case of extreme emergency emerges.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1718 on: May 06, 2021, 04:22:41 PM »
Whats the best way to order a tanker to refuel a stranded ship? Ideally one where it doesn't join the task group its refueling. Its such a pain I often use the SM to just cheat in fuel instead trying to finagle a tanker to do its job...

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1719 on: May 06, 2021, 04:25:51 PM »

You might find this post useful.

Short answer: the only other use for sorium is in Jump Engines and JP Stabilization modules.
So, don't run yourself completely out, but generally speaking you can feed it all to your refineries, as long as you can siphon some off when needed to build jump ships and gate builders.

- I forgot about that list... thanks! :D

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #1720 on: May 06, 2021, 04:34:05 PM »
Whats the best way to order a tanker to refuel a stranded ship? Ideally one where it doesn't join the task group its refueling. Its such a pain I often use the SM to just cheat in fuel instead trying to finagle a tanker to do its job...

Give the tanker orders to move to the ship.
When it arrives, give the ship orders to refuel from the stationary tanker.

I really, really, really wish we had a "Transfer fuel to target fleet" order.

The following users thanked this post: ChubbyPitbull, Borealis4x

Offline ChubbyPitbull

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #1721 on: May 07, 2021, 09:21:42 AM »
Had a question (once again) about Ground Forces and HQs. I'm playing a new game in 1.13.0, and to simplify things I used the "Auto-design ground units" option during empire creation.

I attached a screenshot of the auto-designed Infantry Brigade HQ, as well as the auto-design Infantry Regiment except that I've replaced the basic Infantry with same-size units upgraded with Power Armor.

The Brigade HQ shows HQ50, which *I believe* means it can effectively command 50,000 *tons* of units between the Brigade HQ size and any subordinate units. Looking at the screenshot, since the Brigade HQ is 11,992 tons, and the Infantry Regiment is 15,624 tons, that means the Brigade HQ can at most have 2 Infantry Regiments as subordinates (total tonnage: 43,240 tons) without incurring penalties. Is that correct?

The game seems to have auto-designed the Infantry regiments with only HQ7, even though they are 15,624 tons. Does that mean each unit inherently will have penalties to Commander bonuses due to insufficient HQ?

It would definitely reduce a lot of confusion if there was an indicator showing when HQ capabilities have been exceeded, and/or how much penalty is being incurred due to exceeding HQ limit. Unless I'm missing it I'm just not sure how to tell what an effective OOB would be.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 09:26:09 AM by ChubbyPitbull »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1722 on: May 07, 2021, 09:47:13 AM »
Your intuition is correct. The brigade will suffer slight penalties with this command structure while the regiments are suffering over 50% penalties I believe. This design is not good, and if this is what the NPRs are being given maybe Steve needs to revisit the auto-designer at some point as the NPR does not need such a handicap.

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #1723 on: May 08, 2021, 08:08:17 AM »
I'm putting together a xenoarchaeology expedition and I want to make sure I get the commander bonus.

I have two formations:
1) XENO -- Contains 872 tons of xeno units, with 4.0 total Xeno points.
2) SHQ1 -- Contains a single 22-ton static unit with 1000 HQ capacity.

I create a hierarchy with the XENO unit beneath the SHQ1 unit.
I have a commander with a Xenoarchaeologly bonus.
Where do I assign him? The SHQ1, because it has the HQ unit, or directly to the XENO?

Offline Silvarelion

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
« Reply #1724 on: May 08, 2021, 08:55:25 AM »
Is there a way to self destruct missiles?  Accidently put 4 navigation buoys on a single jump point
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath.
  ~The Mistake Not, Hydrogen Sonata, Iain Banks