Author Topic: What’s next for Aurora now?  (Read 3292 times)

Offline Ekaton (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • E
What’s next for Aurora now?
« on: July 01, 2020, 05:16:33 PM »
Patching season seems to be over for quite some time now, any news about further development, new features down the line? Also, I haven’t played since 1.3, are there any additions?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 05:18:12 PM by Ekaton »

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
Re: What’s next for Aurora now?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 06:33:51 PM »
Patching season seems to be over for quite some time now, any news about further development, new features down the line? Also, I haven’t played since 1.3, are there any additions?
Patching season isn't over yet, Steve is just taking a much needed break.  There are some major fixes since 1.3 and a few yet to come.

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 10:05:57 PM »
I suspect there are more patches somewhere in the future but it will be quite a while before we see any. In the meantime I intend on gaining a deeper understanding of many of the existing game mechanics.
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 02:03:11 AM »
There are quite a few additions since 1.3. If you take a look at the C# Mechanics forum, there are few change logs outlining the most important bugfixes, quality of life improvements and new features.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 07:16:21 AM »
I've been on very low activity the last few weeks because of a family-related matter, but I should be more active from this weekend onward. I have a list of confirmed bugs to work through and then I will start looking at adding new mechanics.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage, serger, Cosinus, Vastrat

Offline Shuul

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 07:58:06 AM »
I've been on very low activity the last few weeks because of a family-related matter, but I should be more active from this weekend onward. I have a list of confirmed bugs to work through and then I will start looking at adding new mechanics.

thats nice to hear :)
do you have any plans for 1.12 release?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 10:48:52 AM »

thats nice to hear :)
do you have any plans for 1.12 release?

Not yet. I need to see if I can fix the bugs first :)

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage, Vastrat

Offline Sebmono

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 03:33:13 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=11724. msg138256#msg138256 date=1593692181
I've been on very low activity the last few weeks because of a family-related matter, but I should be more active from this weekend onward.  I have a list of confirmed bugs to work through and then I will start looking at adding new mechanics.
Hope your family is doing ok!

The following users thanked this post: Steve Walmsley

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 09:59:58 PM »
I was waiting (patiently, don't worry) for the old Aurora VB tools that allow NPR manipulations (giving them stuff at least)

Offline punchkid

• Chief Petty Officer
  • p
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 03:25:10 AM »

Hope family is doing good.
Family first =)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2020, 10:36:54 AM »
Probably easier to explain rather than remain vague about 'family'.

My father died about three weeks ago after being in hospital for a couple of weeks and then in a hospice for the following five weeks. Both he and my mother live in the UK and I live on the Isle of Man which, for those who don't realise, is a separate country with its own laws and government. The Isle of Man closed its borders in March due to Covid and I was unable to reach the UK. In fact, I could leave but then I wouldn't be allowed back. I have responsibilities here with my own family and my job so I was unable to visit my dying father, although we did manage a video conference close to the end.

Two days after he died, the island changed the rules, which meant my wife and I could visit the UK on compassionate grounds and be allowed back on the island. We've managed to eradicate Covid on the island (no cases in 40 days) and the government is understandably keen to maintain that situation, so I had obtain permission to travel and return (a lot of form-filling and providing evidence, etc.). It took eight days to get that permission, which cut it fine, but were able to travel in time for the funeral on Thursday last week (we arrived in UK three hours before the service and then still had to travel 40 miles) and I was able to deliver the eulogy. There are only fifteen people allowed at funerals in the UK at the moment, but it actually seemed better with a small number.

I arrived back on the island on Wednesday this week (there are only only two repatriation sailings per week and very limited numbers allowed) and we are now in quarantine for 14 days. The police on the island take quarantine very seriously and will be checking on us. It's three months in jail and a large fine if we aren't here when they check. I think one of the reasons the island managed to clear the virus so fast is the police here do not mess around - very friendly and helpful but zero tolerance and harsher punishments in general than the UK. Probably why we have such a low (almost non-existent) crime rate.

Anyway, suffice to say that for the last few weeks I haven't had a lot of enthusiasm for fixing bugs or adding new functionality, although I have played some of my campaign to distract myself. My family here (wife, two children and one grand-child) is very close and supportive of each other and my mother in the UK is a strong person who is dealing with the situation as well as anyone could, plus she has support from other family members and neighbours, so the situation is as good as it could be under the circumstances.

Life is returning to something close to normal now, so I should be more productive with Aurora in the next few weeks.

Offline Jarhead0331

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2020, 12:44:32 PM »
Probably easier to explain rather than remain vague about 'family'.

My father died about three weeks ago after being in hospital for a couple of weeks and then in a hospice for the following five weeks. Both he and my mother live in the UK and I live on the Isle of Man which, for those who don't realise, is a separate country with its own laws and government. The Isle of Man closed its borders in March due to Covid and I was unable to reach the UK. In fact, I could leave but then I wouldn't be allowed back. I have responsibilities here with my own family and my job so I was unable to visit my dying father, although we did manage a video conference close to the end.

Two days after he died, the island changed the rules, which meant my wife and I could visit the UK on compassionate grounds and be allowed back on the island. We've managed to eradicate Covid on the island (no cases in 40 days) and the government is understandably keen to maintain that situation, so I had obtain permission to travel and return (a lot of form-filling and providing evidence, etc.). It took eight days to get that permission, which cut it fine, but were able to travel in time for the funeral on Thursday last week (we arrived in UK three hours before the service and then still had to travel 40 miles) and I was able to deliver the eulogy. There are only fifteen people allowed at funerals in the UK at the moment, but it actually seemed better with a small number.

I arrived back on the island on Wednesday this week (there are only only two repatriation sailings per week and very limited numbers allowed) and we are now in quarantine for 14 days. The police on the island take quarantine very seriously and will be checking on us. It's three months in jail and a large fine if we aren't here when they check. I think one of the reasons the island managed to clear the virus so fast is the police here do not mess around - very friendly and helpful but zero tolerance and harsher punishments in general than the UK. Probably why we have such a low (almost non-existent) crime rate.

Anyway, suffice to say that for the last few weeks I haven't had a lot of enthusiasm for fixing bugs or adding new functionality, although I have played some of my campaign to distract myself. My family here (wife, two children and one grand-child) is very close and supportive of each other and my mother in the UK is a strong person who is dealing with the situation as well as anyone could, plus she has support from other family members and neighbours, so the situation is as good as it could be under the circumstances.

Life is returning to something close to normal now, so I should be more productive with Aurora in the next few weeks.

Really sorry to hear about your loss, Steve. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

July 20 will be a year since I lost my father and it still feels like it was yesterday. I know how you're feeling.

Semper Fi

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2020, 01:51:10 PM »
I am sorry about your loss Steve, please accept my sincere condolences.

Offline Vastrat

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • V
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2020, 02:46:13 PM »
Sorry for your loss Steve! I'll keep you all in my prayers.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 02:50:11 PM by Vastrat »

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2020, 12:09:54 AM »
Steve, I'm so sorry for your loss, and that you have had to endure it in times like these.

I'm glad you have the good sense not to rush back into being productive with Aurora. Bugs can wait. Features can wait. 1.11 will suit me just fine for as long as it needs to.

If you never write another line of code for it, you've already given me thousands upon thousands of hours of enjoyment--not to mention a most pleasurable diversion during these long, long months of social distancing, quarantine, working from home, and trying not to go crazy on the wife and the kids.

So, thank you for that.

The following users thanked this post: Steve Walmsley, smoelf