Author Topic: Civilian carrying capacity indicator  (Read 2092 times)

Offline Cristo (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
Civilian carrying capacity indicator
« on: January 06, 2021, 06:12:47 AM »
I suggest the inclusion of some metric (perhaps at the civilian line level but preferably at the empire wide level) that indicates the tons per billion kilometres per year the civilian sector is capable of carrying.   This would be super helpful for understanding how much of your logistics you can offload to the civilian sector and how much you need to move yourself. 

Thanks!

(I have a few suggestions that I am creating separate threads for - I think this keeps it clearer and easier to comment on, if you would rather they were consolidated into one thread please tell me and I will do so!)

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
Re: Civilian carrying capacity indicator
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 08:22:36 PM »
That might actually be kinda cool as a summary thing in the civilian ships tab. Maybe in the future if Steve changes his mind about having a little more control over civilians, you could set the tons per billion kilometres per year that you want your civilian sector to maintain. (Maybe Steve already changed his mind on that, I don't know :) )

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 10:59:44 PM »
(I have a few suggestions that I am creating separate threads for - I think this keeps it clearer and easier to comment on, if you would rather they were consolidated into one thread please tell me and I will do so!)

There is literally a dedicated suggestions thread, and generally that should be utilized unless there is a very good reason to post a suggestion separately (e.g. if it is a very long suggestion which would require separate discussion). This way all of the suggestions are in one place which makes Steve's life easier and thus slightly more likely that things get implemented.  :)

Offline Cristo (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 05:20:51 AM »

There is literally a dedicated suggestions thread, and generally that should be utilized unless there is a very good reason to post a suggestion separately (e.g. if it is a very long suggestion which would require separate discussion). This way all of the suggestions are in one place which makes Steve's life easier and thus slightly more likely that things get implemented.  :)

My thinking was about SEO - it's much easier to see if something was suggested already at the topic rather than reply level.

But yes Steve said the same so future ones will be in the thread unless as you say they merit separate discussion :)

A sticky thread to this effect on this board would be a good idea I think.

Offline prunkstation

• Chief Petty Officer
  • p
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 07:31:58 AM »
How would this metric be calculated, exactly?

Offline Cristo (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 07:47:06 AM »
How would this metric be calculated, exactly?

I think like this per ship:
((speed of ship per second in km/s * seconds in a year)/1,000,000,000)*cargo capacity

This ignores unloading though.

Offline prunkstation

• Chief Petty Officer
  • p
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 04:50:03 PM »
I'm thinking something like this, is it about what you had in mind?

Offline Cristo (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 04:25:49 AM »
I'm thinking something like this, is it about what you had in mind?

Being able to choose the range is even above and beyond - but year that would be great!

Offline prunkstation

• Chief Petty Officer
  • p
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 04:41:37 PM »
Quote from: Cristo link=topic=12252. msg146233#msg146233 date=1610187949
Being able to choose the range is even above and beyond - but year that would be great!

I added this functionality to my utility Aurora Electrons (over at the C# Utilities board, if you want to check it out).

Offline Cristo (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 05:44:25 PM »
Quote from: Cristo link=topic=12252. msg146233#msg146233 date=1610187949

I added this functionality to my utility Aurora Electrons (over at the C# Utilities board, if you want to check it out).

Amazing thank you I'll have a look