Author Topic: Fire control issue?  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Morrigi (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
Fire control issue?
« on: June 11, 2010, 11:35:25 AM »
I've noticed that the maximum theoretical range for an 80cm laser with max tech should be about 20 million kilometers. However, the maximum range for a beam fire control, also max tech, is about 1.4 million kilometers if you get lucky. While I understand the lag time at this range due to the speed of light, it should be possible to hit a target that isn't maneuvering at this range. Am I missing something here, or is the fire control that limited?

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Fire control issue?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 12:22:26 PM »
It's deliberately that limited.  The code does not destiquish between mobile and stationary targets.  Therefore Steve has limited beam fire control to the max lightspeed distance in 5 seconds.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 06:05:35 PM »
Yeah, I think it's rather sad you can't build a long range BFC to crack those PDCs on those annoying asteroids.

Offline Morrigi (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 12:06:14 AM »
I wonder if it would be possible to use part of the missile code to take time into account. Also, if you know the general area where an enemy, you could simply "spray and pray", and if you manage to get enough shots off you're bound to hit something. Yes, this is space we're talking about, so that chance may be ridiculously low, but I think it would be better to handwave something about super advanced tracking computers (we do have meson beams after all) and have large beam weapons be functional than keep the player from creating a star destroyer that won't get shot to pieces before it gets anywhere near the enemy.