Author Topic: Official v6.30 Bugs thread  (Read 43670 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Official v6.30 Bugs thread
« on: October 24, 2013, 02:49:30 PM »
Please post confirmed bugs for v6.30 in this thread. However, please read the guidelines below on reporting bugs before posting. If you had a bug in v6.00+ and it still isn't fixed, please report it again in this thread.

Bug Reporting Guidelines

Steve
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 01:14:02 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Nightstar

• Lt. Commander
  • N
Re: Official v6.30 Bugs thread
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 02:35:39 PM »
Any tech component design that has a '0' mineral cost in some category, e.g.
Code: [Select]
Active Sensor Strength: 16   Sensitivity Modifier: 80%
Sensor Size: 1 HS    Sensor HTK: 1
Resolution: 100    Maximum Range vs 5000 ton object (or larger): 12,800,000 km
Range vs 1000 ton object: 512,000 km
Range vs 250 ton object: 32,000 km
Chance of destruction by electronic damage: 100%
Cost: 16    Crew: 2
Materials Required: 0x Duranium  16x Uridium

Development Cost for Project: 160RP
Will get a non-zero cost for that mineral if you switch to a tech component that uses that mineral, e.g.
Max Ship Size: 6000 (300000 tons)     Max Squadron Size: 3     Max Jump Radius: 50
Jump Engine Size: 1000 HS    Efficiency: 6    Jump Engine HTK: 200
Cost: 62797    Crew: 2000
Materials Required: 12559.4x Duranium  50237.6x Sorium

Development Cost for Project: 627970RP
Resulting in this if you switch back to designing the first component:
Active Sensor Strength: 16   Sensitivity Modifier: 80%
Sensor Size: 1 HS    Sensor HTK: 1
Resolution: 100    Maximum Range vs 5000 ton object (or larger): 12,800,000 km
Range vs 1000 ton object: 512,000 km
Range vs 250 ton object: 32,000 km
Chance of destruction by electronic damage: 100%
Cost: 16    Crew: 2
Materials Required: 12559.4x Duranium  16x Uridium

Development Cost for Project: 160RP
This can result in wasted minerals if the player doesn't notice, depending on severity. Also happens with to ship engines, tritanium and missile engines, etc.

I remember a variant involving uridium and missiles with no sensors that emptied a stockpile. Maybe there's also one with tritanium and missiles with no warhead, but I'm less sure on how to reproduce the missile design bugs.

Closing aurora resets stuff to zero as a workaround, so I keep forgetting to report this.

Offline Nightstar

• Lt. Commander
  • N
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 02:48:24 PM »
Creating a factory build order for any sort of class (PDC, fighter, orbital habitat) does not lock the class design you are building. The class should be locked as if you gave the order to retool a shipyard to that class.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,6508.0.html

Offline vonduus

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is your captain speaking
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »
Officer history is clairvoyant.

The actual game date is 1st January 2025.

When I click on captain Alex Burns, his officer history says:

"1st January 2025: Promoted to Lieutenant Commander
13th November 2042: Promoted to Fiend"

Lieutenant Commander Elliot Daly:

13th November 2042: Promoted to Demon"

Commodore Dylan Frost:

13th November 2042: Promoted to Scientist"

Civilian Administrator Charles Barker:

"1st January 2025: Assigned to Governor of Earth
1st January 2025: Promoted to Civilian Administrator
13th November 2042: Promoted to Fiend"

I could go on, I have only found three or four officers that are not somehow already promoted in the future. So far this is only cosmetic (actually I find it quite amusing) but I am wondering if they will all become evil monsters and scientists when the game reaches 13th November 2042?

edit: I went through all my officers, and they are all of them, no exception, scheduled to be promoted on 13th November 2042.

The majority will be promoted to Fiend, a lot will be promoted to Demon, and a few will be either Civilian Administrator or Scientist.

I checked with version 6.21, nothing of the sort is happening there.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 11:48:44 AM by vonduus »

Offline Prince of Space

• Lieutenant
  • We like it very much.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 11:16:11 AM »
Minor bug:

In the Population view, Luna is listed under Venus, not Earth.

Just to make sure I'm looking at the right thing, you don't mean on the task group window, do you? In a new game starting from Earth, Luna will appear there as if it were a satellite of Venus because Earth is populated and bumped to the top of the list for convenience sake. This was reported in the 6.00 bug thread. Is there another window you were looking at?

On another topic, the descriptions for the cryogenic combat drop modules (both sizes) have typos on them: "Until the drop, the unit is hled in cryogenic stasis and does not suffer moral penalties." "hled" should be "held" and "moral" should be "morale" unless that's how it's spelled in non-American dialects of English.

Offline Prince of Space

• Lieutenant
  • We like it very much.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 11:40:40 AM »
No, I mean on the population window. So I guess this is already reported. Anyway, it really doesn't matter much, as I said: minor bug.

It might not be reported, actually. Maybe I'm just being dense, but do you mean the Population and Production window? I don't think that is intended to be organized according to any orbit-based hierarchy. I'd hate to dismiss what might be an actual bug, so any clarification would be appreciated.

Another bug: with reduced height windows enabled, in the Task Force window, the "Order Templates" box appears to gobble up most of the "Cargo, Ground Units, TG Information" box. Also, the 6.30 change log does not mention that the new GRAV and GEO buttons on the Task Force window's first tab won't appear with reduced height windows on. We might get some new players asking for help finding the buttons and would-be advice givers should be aware.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 11:51:03 AM by Prince of Space »

Offline vonduus

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is your captain speaking
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 12:22:34 PM »
I am talking about the F12 screen. If you click on the "Moons" checkbox in the"System Location Display Options", Luna will appear under Venus. Sorry for confusing you by being imprecise.

Btw, can you confirm the other bug I reported? This is how to reproduce it:

Trash your Stevefire.mdb and copy a fresh one into your Aurora folder. Generate a new universe. Then open your Commander window (F4) and click on any officer. Watch how they all have two entries in their "Officer history", a new one from today (1st January 2025) and a future one (13th November 2042).

I tried to reproduce this bug in 6.21, but couldn't.

And now I just see it gets even weirder: My rear admiral has the following history:

1st January 2025: Promoted to Lieutenant Commander
13th November 2042: Promoted to Demon

So my rear admiral is really a Lieutenant Commander? Well, no he is not, in game he behaves exactly like a Rear Admiral.

As I understand it, the officer history is mainly a tool for writing AARs, so it probably has no real effect in the game. I guess I could just delete those entries. Anyway, it is weird. Perhaps it is a joke?

Offline Nibelung44

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 12:32:50 PM »
Is the PDC don't refit properly bug fixed?

Offline Prince of Space

• Lieutenant
  • We like it very much.
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 12:39:02 PM »
The F12 screen is the Task Group screen. It's not a bug, Steve addressed it in the 6.00 bug thread. Thanks for the clarification, though.

I can confirm the future demons bug. I started my game in 2250 and my officers get promoted to fiend or demon on 13th November 2267. Except for the one brigadier general who gets promoted to civilian administrator and one scientist who get repromoted to scientist on that date. All of this is on a new game without having advanced the time at all. All the leaders have an appropriate 1st January 2250 promotion listed as well.

I don't think it's supposed to be political satire, but who knows?

EDIT: I don't know if this is useful information or not, but even officers who joined the officer corps in 2268 are spawning with the 13th November 2267 promotion to fiend event in their history.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 02:10:01 PM by Prince of Space »

Offline Prince of Space

• Lieutenant
  • We like it very much.
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 12:50:45 PM »
I'm getting an error message: "Cryo and non-Cryo combat drop modules cannot both be present on the same ship"

This message pops up if I design a ship with mixed cryo and non-cryo drop pods (as I would expect) but also when mixing cryo company-sized pods and cryo battalion-sized pods, or when mixing non-cryo company-sized pods with non-cryo battalion-sized pods (which I wouldn't expect.) In 6.20 I could mix battalion and company sized drop pods without an error message. Is this intended to now be an error? The error message doesn't reflect that, if that was the intention.

Offline Prince of Space

• Lieutenant
  • We like it very much.
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 02:43:03 PM »
I apologize for dominating the conversation.

However, I found another bug. I built a cryogenic drop ship and loaded it up with five mobile infantry battalions. I advanced time by 17 years and checked on the popsicles' morale. It was still at 100%, as advertised. Then I realized I had made a mistake in designing my ships. I had put non-cryo drop modules on it by mistake!

I double checked by designing a new pair of drop ships, identical except one was cryo and the other was not. I loaded each up with a mobile infantry battalion, sent them off to uninhabited Mercury so I could use their maintenance clocks as a reference, and advanced time again. After 2.20 years I combat dropped the mobile infantry onto the surface of Mercury and they were both happy as clams. As of right now, apparently, there is no reason to spend the extra RP and tonnage on refrigeration for your infantry.

Offline zatomic

• Petty Officer
  • z
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 05:05:25 PM »
Quote from: vonduus link=topic=6501. msg66627#msg66627 date=1382894554
Btw, can you confirm the other bug I reported? This is how to reproduce it:

Trash your Stevefire. mdb and copy a fresh one into your Aurora folder.  Generate a new universe.  Then open your Commander window (F4) and click on any officer.  Watch how they all have two entries in their "Officer history", a new one from today (1st January 2025) and a future one (13th November 2042).

I tried to reproduce this bug in 6. 21, but couldn't. 

And now I just see it gets even weirder: My rear admiral has the following history:

1st January 2025: Promoted to Lieutenant Commander
13th November 2042: Promoted to Demon

So my rear admiral is really a Lieutenant Commander? Well, no he is not, in game he behaves exactly like a Rear Admiral.

I can confirm the promotions to Demon, Fiend, ect are present.  With regards to your rear admiral, that's been normal in previous versions as I recall.  I assume the game generates some number of new officers at game creation as the lowest rank (and gives them the promoted to Lt.  Commander message in their history), and then runs automatic promotions a few times so the highest rated become your starting higher ranked officers.  That process has never left log messages (though maybe it should).  Either way, your rear admiral is really a rear admiral.

Offline Prince of Space

• Lieutenant
  • We like it very much.
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 01:41:08 PM »
Minor bug: In the Ships (F6) window, under the Miscellaneous tab, the Tractor Link buttons both have mouseover tool tips that refer to the transfer of spares rather than to creating and breaking tractor links. likewise, the Transfer Ship to Alien Empire box on the same page has a Transfer button with a tooltip the says "Activate Transponder."

Offline LizardSF

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • L
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 04:33:01 PM »
I can't create any ship classes at all. I keep getting MDB errors. Attached is a Screenshot.

I created a new game, turned SM on, spent my tech points, and then went to design a ship.

EDIT: I needed to hit the "New" button first. I've never had to do that before.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 04:44:00 PM »
EDIT: I needed to hit the "New" button first. I've never had to do that before.

That has pretty much always been the case. If you have not had to do so to create a class, then that is a bug :)