Author Topic: Ground Unit Support  (Read 4379 times)

Offline boggo2300 (OP)

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
Ground Unit Support
« on: November 08, 2015, 03:35:37 PM »
Another question!

the Ground Unit Support table (table 136) gives the value in troop points that various populations can support based on NPC Tech Level,  the question I have is what TL does a PC Empire count as? and what changes to that are made for various levels of the Troop tech?

does an empire with Troop Tech II count as TL4 and have an allowance of 10 troop points per PP?  what about a player empire without troop tech? is it still TL4?

also doesn't the reduction of Capital's as the TL rises actually make it easier to force a planet to surrender? the number of Capital's definitely reduces pretty quickly.

this also raises the question about NPR's what happens to them after TL4? when they start developing TL's of their own?

AAAAND finally
with Armour ground units requiring Troops Tech II (which I can understand due to atk 8, def 4)
how would you simulate actual Armour units that have been around since 1916 (though obviously the WWI vintage stuff really wasn't effective enough to rate any unit upgrade, WWII and later Armour has been quite impactful)
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Ground Unit Support
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 04:38:54 PM »
Another question!

the Ground Unit Support table (table 136) gives the value in troop points that various populations can support based on NPC Tech Level,  the question I have is what TL does a PC Empire count as? and what changes to that are made for various levels of the Troop tech?

does an empire with Troop Tech II count as TL4 and have an allowance of 10 troop points per PP?  what about a player empire without troop tech? is it still TL4?

also doesn't the reduction of Capital's as the TL rises actually make it easier to force a planet to surrender? the number of Capital's definitely reduces pretty quickly.

this also raises the question about NPR's what happens to them after TL4? when they start developing TL's of their own?

AAAAND finally
with Armour ground units requiring Troops Tech II (which I can understand due to atk 8, def 4)
how would you simulate actual Armour units that have been around since 1916 (though obviously the WWI vintage stuff really wasn't effective enough to rate any unit upgrade, WWII and later Armour has been quite impactful)

PC Empires are TL4+

Once an empire starts researching the techs available (any tech), they are Tech 4. Yes. Still TL4.

It's meant to simulate a move towards a world government. As the TL rises, the amount of troops and quality is supposed to go up also.

Think Armor units more akin to Ogres than a Panzer IV or M1 Abrahms.

Offline boggo2300 (OP)

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 08:32:17 PM »
ok, that's kinda how I saw it,  and that was pretty much what I considered with Armour units as well,  what would you class a tank brigade as then? assault maybe?
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 09:12:53 PM »
Assault sounds about right.