Author Topic: Questions Thread  (Read 11815 times)

Offline Vandermeer (OP)

• Rear Admiral
Re: Questions Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2016, 12:23:25 PM »
Hmm, "end of the game" can be in years if it works good. Well, that probably won't happen, but still it is too late.
..But I know, maybe you can just open an "invite" thread where curious people can say when they want to see the details, so their viewing rights to the forums get unlocked. Only people who are actually interested will do this, so that should be good enough, and the rest shall be cursed with ignorance. :)

The other option was to force the teams to privately discuss matters outside of the forum and the RP would be lost, if it did exist.
We already have something like this setup, but I also agree that I would rather like to have everything here on the board "somewhere" for documentation purpose.
When this is over, I would like to read the other team as well!
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2016, 12:29:38 PM »
When the game is over I suppose both forums could just be made public. Will definitely want to read the other one then and maybe even comment on some things.

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2016, 12:32:01 PM »
If someone who not playing wants to "Lurk" and read a teams forum I will ask that team if it okay with them.  It can be a path to joining the that team.

At the end of the game I would think the sub-forums would be opened, so everyone can look and comment.   Then laugh about that fast military ship you worried so much about for months of real life time was just a fast courier ship to move teams around. 

Check out or Join my Community Game
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=235.0
Also check out my stories, including Interactive tales.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=239.0

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2016, 09:28:58 AM »
there has been some questions about treaties.

- The "No land war on earth for 10 years" is made for fun, so that one will be strictly enforced by the admin.
- All other treaties depend on the goodwill of the empires.  and can be renegotiated by the empires, and also can be broken at will, at the risk of your reputation. 

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2016, 02:00:09 PM »
Is NATO still around in our setting?
Drgong, do you want to set some backstory for neutral countries? Or should we try to fill such things in ourselves and just let you override if we become too creative?

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2016, 03:26:02 PM »
Is NATO still around in our setting?
Drgong, do you want to set some backstory for neutral countries? Or should we try to fill such things in ourselves and just let you override if we become too creative?

I will set some backstory, but Russia has free reign in the former soviet republics and and US will have free reign in the America's Panama and north.

NATO exists in some form, but now is more of a EU thing.  And they are off screen, perhaps holding everyone to the land war ceasefire agreement.

Offline Zook

• Commander
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2016, 11:44:17 PM »
Drgong and Team Russia,

We would like to clarify what is happening with the rest of the World while the three factions are duking it out.  Are there possibilities of additional nation-states joining our Alliances, proxy wars, and so on so forth?

Thanks.
At the end of the year (When I as admin do a lot of my "out of program" activities) teams that are active role-players will be given amounts of conventional industry or population. 

Generally speaking, as long as the teams are actively role-playing they will get this reward (same reward for all role playing nations).   Think of it as flavor, not something to game.   However the majority of the world is watching...

-- That said, I reserve to make a ground based crisis if things go slowly in space, but I suspect that will not be needed. 

For a genuine Cold War feeling, this aspect could be quite important. We could have a list of some nations (or regions), their pop and CI and extras, like:

Switzerland - 30 Financial Centres
Northern Africa 25 mines
Japan - -10 mines (to supply the Japanese civilian industry), 5 Research labs
North Korea - 1 GFTF
Australia - 2 DSTS, 5 mines, 10 new officers (all named Bruce)
Denmark - 1 Civilian Shipping Line
India - 2 DSTS already deployed on comets
Pakistan - 2 top missile scientists, with some knowledge of advanced warhead designs
Peru - Certain strange artifacts found in ancient pyramids that may or may not be of extraterrestrial origin. Government hints that they will probably be sold to the highest bidder.
Egypt - Even more certain strange artifacts found in Egyptian pyramids, about a month after Peru announced auctioning off their finds
Italy - More strange artifacts, this time found under the Colosseum. Theirs are much more fashionable than everybody else's.
Luxembourg - Several strange artifacts found in long-unclaimed bank deposit boxes. Theirs come tax-free.
Easter Islands - Very strange artifacts on offer. Perhaps not entirely extraterrestrial, but they come at a competitive price.
Vanuatu - Carved wooden copies of definitely extraterrestrial artifacts on offer. Some still bear US Air Force markings.

and then influence them the old-fashioned way, i.e. money, more money, diplomacy and the occasional espionage teams. No, wait, money, more money and the occasional cultural attache (i.e. spy). Once a year, a country/region would slowly drift more closely to the side spending significant resources on it. There's a minimum that must be spent to influence their politics and a maximum effective amount, both depending upon a country/region's size but unknown to the players.

If both sides spend money, there's automatic potential for conflict because CIA/KGB wouldn't have total control over their respective clients. Things can get ugly if neither side backs off.

BTW, what's the starting wealth?

What about civvie mining? Random or a SM decision? Random might cause large imbalances...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:49:18 AM by Zook »

Offline DIT_grue

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2016, 08:37:15 AM »
Personally, that looks somewhat interesting, but my bet would be that it is unmanageably detailed. What I was picturing was a more narrative system, where the SM looks at what each team has done over the year and says, "Okay, Russia's managed to apply enough pressure to one of the -stans to install a complaisant puppet, so they get 10m pop and 5 CI. America has wooed a couple of tiny island nations in the Carribean and Pacific, that adds up to 1m pop and 2 CI, while India - in exchange for some additional concessions - has allowed the FAS to invest in their industry as well as running a recruitment campaign, make that 6 CI and 0.5m pop." (Then Drgong, as FAS player, probably thinks something like, "Next year I'll try to pick off some African smeghole run by a warlord and half-surrounded by my territory.") Or it might be purely abstracted, just numeric rewards that aren't written up as a story.

In other words, roleplay targetting a particular country, specify the techniques you use, and I'd expect that you'll be rewarded for it; but trying to stat it all out and pin it down as mechanics strikes me as not the aesthetic the game is going for, as well as way too much work.

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2016, 10:12:39 AM »
Personally, that looks somewhat interesting, but my bet would be that it is unmanageably detailed. What I was picturing was a more narrative system, where the SM looks at what each team has done over the year and says, "Okay, Russia's managed to apply enough pressure to one of the -stans to install a complaisant puppet, so they get 10m pop and 5 CI. America has wooed a couple of tiny island nations in the Carribean and Pacific, that adds up to 1m pop and 2 CI, while India - in exchange for some additional concessions - has allowed the FAS to invest in their industry as well as running a recruitment campaign, make that 6 CI and 0.5m pop." (Then Drgong, as FAS player, probably thinks something like, "Next year I'll try to pick off some African smeghole run by a warlord and half-surrounded by my territory.") Or it might be purely abstracted, just numeric rewards that aren't written up as a story.

In other words, roleplay targetting a particular country, specify the techniques you use, and I'd expect that you'll be rewarded for it; but trying to stat it all out and pin it down as mechanics strikes me as not the aesthetic the game is going for, as well as way too much work.

Yes, this is the admin's thoughts as well. 

Also, back to my main computer.

Offline Vandermeer (OP)

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2016, 01:20:53 PM »
The starting colony is a type 5 colony, right? So we need an A5 administrator as a leader.

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2016, 01:29:05 PM »
The starting colony is a type 5 colony, right? So we need an A5 administrator as a leader.

A3 is required.

Offline Vandermeer (OP)

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2016, 01:31:20 PM »
Oh, good, that leaves room for better personnel.

Offline Zook

• Commander
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2016, 05:44:12 PM »
Sorry if I missed that point, but are we going to get the actual game database, or are you worried about hacks?

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2016, 08:52:35 PM »
Sorry if I missed that point, but are we going to get the actual game database, or are you worried about hacks?

No, I will keep the database (I back it up online on a dropbox account) but Teams submit orders and I put them in and run the game till the next choice is made.

Offline Zook

• Commander
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2016, 10:00:40 PM »
What's our starting minerals and Earth's mining values (sorry if I missed that somewhere? Also, our administrator ratings?