Author Topic: v2.0.0 Changes Discussion Thread  (Read 125546 times)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: v1.14.0 Changes Discussion Thread
« Reply #480 on: January 27, 2022, 05:39:18 PM »
Since a carrier might carry multiple squadrons, CAG aboard the ship is in command of them all. For squadron leaders, the best way is to use that example mentioned before - create a Command version of your fighter that's identical and tick the "Senior CO" box so that instead of R1 it gets a R2 officer commanding it who will then automatically become the squadron commander via being the most senior officer present.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #481 on: January 27, 2022, 07:01:11 PM »
Since a carrier might carry multiple squadrons, CAG aboard the ship is in command of them all. For squadron leaders, the best way is to use that example mentioned before - create a Command version of your fighter that's identical and tick the "Senior CO" box so that instead of R1 it gets a R2 officer commanding it who will then automatically become the squadron commander via being the most senior officer present.

But what rank would the CAG be? It'd be weird if the CAG doesn't outrank the squadron leaders.

Offline TallTroll

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #482 on: January 27, 2022, 07:36:38 PM »
By wet navy traditions, the CAG should be 1 rank lower than the Captain, generally speaking. CVs are also considered to be capital ships and often flagships, although that is partly because the CV has displaced the BB as the ultimate expression of power projection at sea, which is not necessarily true of a space navy in Aurora

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #483 on: January 28, 2022, 06:13:08 AM »

But what rank would the CAG be? It'd be weird if the CAG doesn't outrank the squadron leaders.
Considering that carriers will probably be your biggest ships so they will be commanded by senior officers, perhaps even flag officers, and fighters are generally piloted by R1 officers, there should be able room between the two for CAG to be higher rank than squadron senior officer. For example, using USN ranks in Aurora:

Fighter pilot - R1 "lieutenant-commander"
Squadron CO - R2 "commander"
CAG aboard a carrier - R3 "captain"
Carrier CO - R4 "rear-admiral (lower half)"

And you could always insert lieutenant as the new R1 and now that we can truly have 1-2 crew fighters, that will make even more sense than before, and thus save all admirals for naval commands.

Online nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #484 on: January 28, 2022, 09:10:43 AM »
Not laid out explicitly in the actual change post, but I do want to point out that the change to short-deployment crews is actually a small buff to fighter-based races. Given how many fighters a typical carrier fleet needs, reducing the amount of crew needed eases the burden on academies that train crews and allows using a higher academy training level, so crews should be a bit better-trained on average. Given the difficulty of maintaining well-trained fighter crews (lack of Training-skilled commanders + difficulty of refitting fighters to preserve experienced crews) this is a good mechanical change for fighters - in addition to the flavor which many players have wanted.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #485 on: January 28, 2022, 10:04:51 AM »
Not laid out explicitly in the actual change post, but I do want to point out that the change to short-deployment crews is actually a small buff to fighter-based races. Given how many fighters a typical carrier fleet needs, reducing the amount of crew needed eases the burden on academies that train crews and allows using a higher academy training level, so crews should be a bit better-trained on average. Given the difficulty of maintaining well-trained fighter crews (lack of Training-skilled commanders + difficulty of refitting fighters to preserve experienced crews) this is a good mechanical change for fighters - in addition to the flavor which many players have wanted.

I did briefly mention it right at the bottom of the post :)

Offline Drakale

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
« Reply #486 on: January 28, 2022, 10:31:33 AM »
I hoped for single crewed fighters for a long time this is very nice. This will also let my hospital ships be less crowded with ejected pilots after a large engagement.

Online nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #487 on: January 28, 2022, 10:32:20 AM »
I did briefly mention it right at the bottom of the post :)

I should clarify - you did mention the reduced crew requirements for fighter-heavy navies; I am just highlighting the further impact of this in terms of crew training levels, which addresses a long-standing downside of fighter-based fleets.  :)

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #488 on: January 28, 2022, 10:32:34 AM »
@Fighter Crew Changes
Note for the formula - It can be slightly simplified to:
Code: [Select]
Crew = Round Down ( Crew * ( (Planned Deployment / 3 )^(1/3) ) )Since the calculation isn't done that often, it might not matter I think, but in case it does, this versions otherwise avoids one of the costly fractional exponential calculations, and also aids in oversight to see how the effect works.("actual crew reduction is equal to 'the fraction of Deployment against 3 Months' with the cube root smoothing continuing")

playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

The following users thanked this post: Scandinavian, Iceranger

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #489 on: January 28, 2022, 12:36:41 PM »
By wet navy traditions, the CAG should be 1 rank lower than the Captain, generally speaking. CVs are also considered to be capital ships and often flagships, although that is partly because the CV has displaced the BB as the ultimate expression of power projection at sea, which is not necessarily true of a space navy in Aurora

Akshully, in the US Navy at least the CAG is actually a full Captain and answers to the commander of the Carrier Task Force rather than the Captain of the CV. Kinda weird I know.

On another note, how easy would it be to change the default starting age of officers from 21 to 30? If I start tracking officers when they are Lt. Commanders, it makes more sense for them to be in their 30s rather than early 20s.

It would be great if 'starting age' was something you could edit using the Race screen so every race is different based on how long their lifespans are.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 01:00:37 PM by Borealis4x »

The following users thanked this post: TMaekler

Offline papent

• Lieutenant
  • Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder
« Reply #490 on: January 28, 2022, 01:31:42 PM »
May we have an option to not allow an C.O to be assigned to a ship? like a checkbox in ship design or in the ship screen. so we don't have every promising officer assigned to the small craft forces or merchant fleets.
In my humble opinion anything that could be considered a balance issue is a moot point unless the AI utilize it against you because otherwise it's an exploit you willing choose to use to game the system. 
Rule 0 Is effect : "The SM is always right/ What SM Says Goes."

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #491 on: January 28, 2022, 01:43:28 PM »
May we have an option to not allow an C.O to be assigned to a ship? like a checkbox in ship design or in the ship screen. so we don't have every promising officer assigned to the small craft forces or merchant fleets.

That is already in v2.0.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12523.msg157284#msg157284

The following users thanked this post: papent

Offline LiquidGold2

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #492 on: January 28, 2022, 03:28:14 PM »
This is a minor thing, but on the new reduced crew formulas, you use "Personnel" for one formula and "Crew" for the other.  Can you change them to be the same, unless there is a difference I'm missing?

Glad to see the small refueling system; I don't use fighters often, but when I do I always have a tanker/fighter/FAC on all the larger carriers.

Offline Desdinova

• Lt. Commander
  • D
« Reply #493 on: January 28, 2022, 04:30:10 PM »
Steve, will officers without a relevant qualification be assigned to roles now? For example, will a terraforming base receive a commander if no free officer has a terraforming bonus, or will it sit empty? And will commanders without a relevant bonus be able to gain that bonus if they're assigned to that role? I know you considered giving everyone a 1% bonus in every field, but I don't know what came of that discussion.

The following users thanked this post: papent, Napier

Offline Neophyte

• Gold Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #494 on: January 28, 2022, 04:39:02 PM »
Minor suggestion but I think the small refueling system should be renamed to something like "Small Craft Refueling System" or similar, something to make it clearer to new players that this is not just a smaller version of the existing systems but something that can only work with small ships.

(of course it should also have the 1000 ton restriction in the description, but just to be sure)

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel, Scandinavian, Droll, pwhk, Iceranger