Author Topic: v2.0.0 Changes Discussion Thread  (Read 125561 times)

Offline Destragon

• Lieutenant
  • D
Re: v1.14.0 Changes Discussion Thread
« Reply #735 on: April 02, 2022, 08:06:40 AM »
I have a question. Does making a deep space population on a point, asteroid or etc make it viable to have space stations now? Like not having to worry about time on space, maintenance and etc?
You know you can make (civilian) space stations by checking the "no armor" box, right?
If you mean military space stations, you can use stuff like maintenance and recreational modules.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 10:22:25 AM by Destragon »

The following users thanked this post: doodle_sm

Offline dsedrez

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • d
« Reply #736 on: April 02, 2022, 10:20:33 PM »
Hull Numbers

v2.0 adds hull numbers for each ship. These are appended to the hull designation for each ship for display and reporting purposes. For example, the sixteenth destroyer built by a race will be designated as DD-16.

This designation is not affected by class. If the last destroyer of the Tribal class is DD-25, the first ship of the subsequent class with the same hull type will be DD-26.

An option on the Miscellaneous sub-tab of the Ship Overview tab on the Naval Organization window allows you to specify a hull number for a ship, as long as that hull number is not already in use. If you specify a number higher than any existing hull number for that hull type, new ships with the same hull type will increment hull numbers from that point onwards.

An option on the 'Ships in Class' tab of the Ship Class window allows you to reset the hull numbers of all ships with the same hull type. This is done in order of original creation.

There is a display flag on the Tactical Map display options to disable the display of hull numbers for a given race. The difference in display is simply DDG-51 Arleigh Burke vs DDG Arleigh Burke. This display flag applies to all uses of the hull number throughout the game - not just on the tactical map.

There is a display flag on the Miscellaneous tab of the Ship Class window that allows you to toggle hull number display for a specific class. For example, you may not want hull numbers for fighters. The hull numbers are still created for this class, but are not displayed if the toggle is off.

Just saw that, thanks Steve!
Though now I have questions: what happens when you refit the ship into a different hull type? Or, say, you redesignate the class into another hull type (something I do with worrying regularity)? Are the corresponding ships renumbered into the new hull type? That's what I would expect.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #737 on: April 05, 2022, 05:11:42 AM »
Do I assume correctly, that population in ark modules are not affected by any environmental malus of the planet they are stationed at? So technically I could create an empty colony on a fully radiated body, build industry and production there and populate them with ark ships - without any problems to the population whatsoever?

What happens if I do have population on the planet as well as in orbit and the planet gets bombarded and suffers radiation. Would the planet population be evacuated to the limits of the ark ships or would they stay on the body - and die?

Offline Destragon

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #738 on: April 05, 2022, 08:55:30 AM »
Do I assume correctly, that population in ark modules are not affected by any environmental malus of the planet they are stationed at? So technically I could create an empty colony on a fully radiated body, build industry and production there and populate them with ark ships - without any problems to the population whatsoever?
You can literally have ark population live normally in the middle of space using the new deep space colony feature. They are basically the habitats of the current version, so the planet's environment shouldn't affect it.

I dunno about emergency evacuation, but I assume you can probably manually tell your ark ship to load up population, however it sounds like your arks will probably be full most of the time anyway.

Offline Jarhead0331

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #739 on: April 05, 2022, 10:21:46 AM »
You can literally have ark population live normally in the middle of space using the new deep space colony feature. They are basically the habitats of the current version, so the planet's environment shouldn't affect it.

But I thought there were certain penalties. It has been awhile since I've played as I'm waiting for 2.0, but if I recall there were significant penalties to populations that were forced to work on planets with hostile environments. They may live in the orbital habs, but they still need to go down to the surface to work in those factories. This was the draw and incentive to using more expensive automated factories. They don't require worker boots on the ground so the harmful effects of the environment are not associated with the population when using automated industry.

Online nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #740 on: April 05, 2022, 11:50:48 AM »
But I thought there were certain penalties. It has been awhile since I've played as I'm waiting for 2.0, but if I recall there were significant penalties to populations that were forced to work on planets with hostile environments. They may live in the orbital habs, but they still need to go down to the surface to work in those factories. This was the draw and incentive to using more expensive automated factories. They don't require worker boots on the ground so the harmful effects of the environment are not associated with the population when using automated industry.

There are not programmed-in penalties to OrbHabs in C#. However, what happens in practice is that the population contained by the OrbHabs will (prior to 2.0) function as an extension of the population on the planet surface even if there is not any. Notably, this means they will slowly build infrastructure and experience population growth, and as the population grows is spills out from the OrbHabs to the planet surface where it is affected by the colony cost. This doesn't make OrbHabs unusable but it does degrade their effectiveness and demand a lot of annoying micromanagement to keep the spillover population from growing too large and crippling the colony at a planet like Venus for example. This effect results purely from the population mechanics and the fact that OrbHabs are basically just implemented as special infrastructure prior to 2.0, so I do not think any malus was intended as part of the game design.

With the 2.0 change to Arks this will no longer happen and orbital populations will be fully efficient, making them a viable option for CC>=5.0 or so worlds. Automated mines and other facilities will still have important uses, particularly in the mid to late game when population is a bigger bottleneck than industrial capacity.

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #741 on: April 05, 2022, 12:43:09 PM »
Depending on playtest, I may also add load/unload colonist orders that have an Ark ship as a target, although I suspect this would be seldom used in practice.

I actually think this would be really great. I haven't used orbital habitats much, but when I did, the goal was usually to get the colony to the point, where they would build their own massive space stations with orbital habitats to enable expansion - both in terms of natural growth and migration. As it is, it probably won't be much trouble to load the colonists from the surface of the planet, but it would be much easier to unload them directly into the Ark modules.

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #742 on: April 06, 2022, 12:30:45 AM »
 --- If I place one of the new Small Craft Re-Fueling Systems on a Tanker alongside a regular Re-Fueling System, will that allow said Tanker to re-fuel small craft AND regular craft at the same time?

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #743 on: April 06, 2022, 05:48:45 AM »
--- If I place one of the new Small Craft Re-Fueling Systems on a Tanker alongside a regular Re-Fueling System, will that allow said Tanker to re-fuel small craft AND regular craft at the same time?

Not feasible, I think:

Quote from: Steve
It can only be mounted on ships of 1000 tons or less...
Fleets with ships larger than 1000 tons will ignore tankers equipped with the Small Refuelling System.

Offline dsedrez

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • d
« Reply #744 on: April 06, 2022, 08:34:50 AM »

Not feasible, I think:

Fleets with ships larger than 1000 tons will ignore tankers equipped with the Small Refuelling System.

Related to that, if I have *two* regular Refuelling Systems on a single tanker, can it refuel two ships simultaneously? There's no restriction on their number so I'm wondering...

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #745 on: April 06, 2022, 08:48:24 AM »

Not feasible, I think:

Related to that, if I have *two* regular Refuelling Systems on a single tanker, can it refuel two ships simultaneously? There's no restriction on their number so I'm wondering...

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg97525#msg97525

A Refuelling System is 500 tons and has a cost ranging from 10 BP to 100 BP, depending on the tech level. A ship with a Refuelling System can refuel a single ship at once, so will take some time to refuel a whole fleet, although this will improve with higher technology. At the early tech levels, the Refuelling System can only be used if both ships (tanker and target ship) are both stationary. Another new tech line, Underway Replenishment, allow the refuelling to take place while both ships are in the same fleet and underway. Priorities can be set for the refuelling order when multiple ships are involved. The first Underway Replenishment tech allows refuelling at 20% of the normal rate (2500 RP), rising to 100% with the highest tech (40,000 RP).

If you want to refuel several ships at once, you need refueling hub, which is much bigger component.

Spaceports, Refuelling Stations or Refuelling Hubs will always use the highest tech refuelling rate and can refuel an unlimited number of ships simultaneously. However, the ships being refuelled must be stationary.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 08:50:42 AM by Black »

The following users thanked this post: dsedrez

Offline Agraelgrimm

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #746 on: April 06, 2022, 03:23:38 PM »
I have a question. Does making a deep space population on a point, asteroid or etc make it viable to have space stations now? Like not having to worry about time on space, maintenance and etc?
You know you can make (civilian) space stations by checking the "no armor" box, right?
If you mean military space stations, you can use stuff like maintenance and recreational modules.
Yeah, i meant military space stations and i've heard something about that it would need population and that the recreational modules wouldnt work, so i got confused.
So lets say i make a military space station and i put a recreational module and a maintenance module, cargo shuttles, etc, would that be able to work indefinitely?

Online nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #747 on: April 06, 2022, 03:31:26 PM »

So lets say i make a military space station and i put a recreational module and a maintenance module, cargo shuttles, etc, would that be able to work indefinitely?

To clarify, what you want to do is create one or more commercial stations with the desired recreational module, maintenance module, etc. (I suggest keeping each type of station separate so it is easy to build up a deep space base to the desired specifications). You can then deploy military stations, or ships for that matter, which would be maintained by the facilities you have constructed. Keep in mind that maintenance modules require a source of MSP to function so you will need to periodically ship supplies to the base to keep it stocked up.

The following users thanked this post: Agraelgrimm

Offline Warer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #748 on: April 06, 2022, 06:25:50 PM »
One Second Sub Pulses

Ahem

GOD BE PRAISED!!!

That is all.

Offline TheBawkHawk

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #749 on: April 06, 2022, 06:40:54 PM »
Small question on 1 second sub-pulses: Will it be possible for the game to interrupt, say due to firing a weapon, on one of the 1 second sub-pulses?