Author Topic: Favourite Moment?  (Read 2706 times)

Offline MasonMac (OP)

• Registered
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
Favourite Moment?
« on: March 28, 2020, 09:47:56 PM »
I'll start. Guess who the "Enemy" is.

This happened during my first game, when I heavily overestimated how good my fleet was. I'd recently encountered the Enemy four systems away, and I sent my strongest fleet of ~60 ships against their small scouting fleet of 3. Thousands of families found out about their untimely deaths an hour later... Yeah, I wasn't able to destroy a single one. The next few years only got worse as Enemy ships nuked my 13 outer colonies and their associated defense fleets. I was panicking since I was figuring out combat as I was going, and I'd only managed to destroy 3 of their ships in total, and only because they'd ran out of ammo. I'd already lost ~300 ships.

Back at my core 5 worlds where I had most of my industry and shipyards, I was trying to pump out as much cannon fodder as possible to slow down the Enemy armada. I was still noob at designing ships, so they were all bad, but the big ones, exceeding 100k tons, were the only ones able to deal any real damage. I had already made 5 of these new ones, while the others were taking their sweet sweet time.

In a surprisingly smart move, however, the enemy took a page out of General MacArthur's book and hopped across my inner colonies with their overwhelming power and numbers. While I was slowing them down, I was choking myself with a huge lack of every resource. By this time, I was still vainly hoping I could salvage the game and pull through, so I poured my remaining military into my two primary planets: Earth and Reach. The remaining skeleton fleets were easily destroyed by the enemy, and I patiently waited for them.

As I struggled to maintain the fleets, I tried to explore some JPs that I had ignored before and strip resources, but the Enemy was everywhere. Eventually a wormhole opened in Reach's system (What a coincidence, right?).

I prepared my defenses as, to my horror, a hundred Enemy ships poured into the system. The battle was lost from the beginning; my fleet numbering at around 600 was no match for the Enemy. But I still fought long and hard. As the Enemy burned Reach's oceans and forests, my ships swerved and cut through theirs. I'd destroyed dozens of them, but they destroyed four times as many of mine. Reach was lost in a matter of hours.

Despite their losses, the Enemy was relentless, and they quickly headed for Earth. They easily nuked Mars and my patrol ships, before attacking Earth's ships head on. The battle mirrored Reach's, and the last human breathed their last, soon enough.

Offline obsidian_green

• Lieutenant
  • o
Re: Favourite Moment?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 01:43:44 AM »
Don't mess with the Minbari.  :)

Offline Rye123

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Hi.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 04:05:49 AM »
Still my first-ever combat experience. I had jumped a geosurvey vessel into a system neighbouring the Sol system, only to have it destroyed a while later. A few days later three contacts jumped into the Sol system, heading straight for Earth.

At that time I had NO idea what I was doing (I still don't, but at least I know a bit more now :L) so I had basically no defences, and they rained down missile after missile on Earth. I thought it was basically game over, but they suddenly stopped and left.

My guess is they ran out of missiles or something, but that's probably my most memorable and favourite moment :)

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 04:41:22 AM »
My first First Contact ever.
Boy i was sooo happy and so unprepared ( my missiles literally were slower than their capital ships)  and it ended in fire and destruction but it was so fun.
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 03:26:19 AM »
I think my most enjoyable moment to date has been the complete disaster I had when first exploring alien ruins. I'd built a sizable colony on a planet in a system rich in minerals and had also established multiple automated mining sites that were sending the minerals to the colony through the use of mass drivers.

After finally decoding the details of the alien ruins on the colony I had my engineers get to work on recovering ruins. It wasn't long before I discovered that there was a chance of them finding not just installations but also defenders. I quickly dispatched a force of troops to support the engineers but with a long transit time from Earth it looked to be a close call so when the troops finally landed I had a real sigh of relief. It wasn't until the next turn I realized that in my haste I had actually sent the troops to the wrong planet in the system and no they were another 20 odd days away.

Sadly it was too late for my engineers who caved a few days later and in turn also resulted in the colony falling under the control of the precursors. That did not seem too much of a disaster until i realized the massive train of mineral packets making their way across the system no longer had a mass driver to stop them. I then found out just how effective mass drivers are at bombarding a colony!

By the time I moved the troops, fought the precursors and recaptured the colony I think I had lost 2/3rds of the installations and a large chunk of the population.

It was a terrible result but a fantastic couple of days of game play that kicked off writing an AAR for that campaign and really got me thinking about the politics of the disaster and the wider impact it should have on the approach and attitudes of the Federation. It also highlighted to me that mistakes can be even more fun than getting everything right!

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 05:51:05 AM »
Favorite moment? Easy.

On a conventional start, 30 or so yes in a wormhole opens up in the Sol system

The results were predictable. But it was so much fun. First time I met them too!  ;D

Offline Silverkeeper

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • S
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 04:51:35 AM »
I had just started the game. My geoscout detects this absolutely massive structure that it can see from billions of km away.
I send in the battle fleet to try and asses the situation. I launch maybe 40-50 missile armed fighters.Firing from 50 million kilometers they manage to only blow away most of the shields on this thing. There is no response It didn`t even try to shoot down my missiles. I do another run with fighters, same result.
Now I´m out of ammo for the fighters and I´m too afraid to send in my regular ships.
I send the fleet to Earth to rearm and pick up support, every ship I had.
Unfortunately I got flooded with errors later and had to abandon the game.
I hope to run into it again, so I can try to board it.