Author Topic: Ways to use maintenance modules in ships?  (Read 3026 times)

Offline Panpiper (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
Ways to use maintenance modules in ships?
« on: January 17, 2021, 01:04:24 PM »
If I have maintenance modules in a ship that mostly accompanies a fleet of warships, will they help maintain those ships when away from their home base? If I have one or more maintenance modules in a troopship, will they maintain vehicles contained in troop transport bays? Or do vehicles not require maintenance while in troop transport bays?

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
Re: Ways to use maintenance modules in ships?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 02:10:23 PM »
If I have maintenance modules in a ship that mostly accompanies a fleet of warships, will they help maintain those ships when away from their home base? If I have one or more maintenance modules in a troopship, will they maintain vehicles contained in troop transport bays? Or do vehicles not require maintenance while in troop transport bays?
I am unsure if maintenance modules work while a fleet is moving (have never tested it), but all ground forces do not require any action to be maintained. Instead, once a ground unit is built, it automatically costs an amount of wealth equal to 1/4 of its build cost each year.

The following users thanked this post: Panpiper

Offline Panpiper (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 02:16:05 PM »
Oh man! I'm going to need more financial centers, big time!

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 02:32:49 PM »
Oh man! I'm going to need more financial centers, big time!
It isn't too bad, just something to be aware of. For example, one of my 2,500-ton armor companies cost 287 to build. That means they will cost 71.75 per year, so you only need a bit more than 1 extra financial center to cover the cost of 2 armor companies (assuming your "wealth generation per million TN workers" is 120). And my infantry companies only cost 115, so each financial center can cover the cost of 4 infantry companies.

Edit: just realized that annual maintenance for ground forces is 1/8 of their build cost, not 1/4. So 1 financial center can cover the annual cost of 4 armor companies or 8 infantry companies
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 02:35:46 PM by captainwolfer »

Offline Panpiper (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 02:40:50 PM »
Whew!  I was worried. I was also thinking I would need divisional sized units requiring a dozen large troop transports to move around, but you seem to be talking much smaller numbers. Realistically speaking, what size of an armed force do I need if I am exploring and possibly aggoing NPCs?

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 02:52:49 PM »
Whew!  I was worried. I was also thinking I would need divisional sized units requiring a dozen large troop transports to move around, but you seem to be talking much smaller numbers. Realistically speaking, what size of an armed force do I need if I am exploring and possibly aggoing NPCs?
I would aim for at least a division for offensive goals, which under my organizational format would be 200,000 to 250,000 tons.
However, for defense, I would say a battalion of infantry (10,000-12,500 tons under my format) on minor colonies, and a brigade of infantry (40,000-50,000 tons under my format) for major colonies. Infantry are cheap, a "garrison" company with 2,500 tons of infantry is only 79 cost (since unlike my offensive infantry they don't have the extreme temperature ability), so a single financial center could pay for multiple battalions of garrison infantry

The following users thanked this post: Panpiper