Author Topic: Change to handling of survivors  (Read 1270 times)

Nakor

Change to handling of survivors
« on: August 07, 2021, 03:59:02 PM »
I just wiped out a few enemy ships and lost one of my own in return.  My ships each have 200 cryo berths.  When I picked up my and their survivors, everyone piled into two of my four remaining ships. 

I have 800 cryo berths across the four ships, and am carrying almost 1100 survivors, so definitely I should be (and am) seeing messages that my ships are overburdened.  However, I'm only getting messages about the two ships which are packed to the gills; the other two ships are not carrying anyone and hence not seeing accelerated morale decay. 

I would like to suggest a change to how pickup of survivors is handled, i. e.  to evenly fill up cryo berths across the fleet, then when those are full, evenly distribute the survivors across the ships in the fleet based on ratio of crew berths.
It would also be useful to have a way to do that manually with a fleet command, i. e.  if I wanted to have a "prison transport" ship to load everyone onto and send back to my home planet.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Change to handling of survivors
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 07:39:08 AM »
Hello Nakor and welcome to the forum. Please register your account so that you can post normally - currently we need to manually approve of your posts.

Your suggestion is actually a bug and Steve has fixed this for the upcoming 1.14 version, where survivors are spread out more equally across the ships of a fleet. For now, the workaround is to detach individual ships off the fleet to pick up lifepods instead of ordering the entire fleet to do it.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 09:22:25 AM »
With Garfunkels workaround in mind I like to design hospital ships that basically have 10k+ cryo capacity so that I can just order a single ship around to pick everyone up.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2021, 09:30:55 AM »
With Garfunkels workaround in mind I like to design hospital ships that basically have 10k+ cryo capacity so that I can just order a single ship around to pick everyone up.

It will also be a lot easier in v1.14 (probably v2.0 now) to pickup lifepods as you can double-click them all in the destination list, rather than having to click each pod and then the associated move action.

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel, QuakeIV, serger, Ektor, Gabrote42