Author Topic: Is my Fleet about Average?  (Read 2849 times)

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
Is my Fleet about Average?
« on: September 19, 2021, 06:03:17 AM »
This refers to Aurora 1.13. The Empire duration was 92 years.

I built approximately 115 cruisers 20,000 - 29,800 tons of which a dozen were scrapped the rest refitted periodically.
I built 31 Jump cruisers. 23,000 - 29,800 tons.
I captured and refitted 26 light cruisers 18,000 - 23,000 tons.
I built or captured and refitted 73 destroyers 8000 - 13,000 tons.
I built  about 36 survey vessels no more the 18 operational at one time.

I captured three NPR home worlds and was at war constantly from 25 years after game start. I did not fully pacify the NPRs. Every now and again a ship or small squadron would show up. (do NPR civ ships still surrender when the last major colony is captured?)

However for the last 15 years it had all been about finding and transporting enough minerals to provide maintenance supplies for the fleet. So the question I have is the Fleet overly large? In VB6 Aurora I had much larger fleets but the rules were different. It got so tedious I am going to try without maintenance in v14.   

IanD

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
Re: Is my Fleet about Average?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 06:54:42 AM »
4 million tons of active fleet is twice the stuff I have right now and I have 3 billion population to work my industry. I think I could reach your level if I wanted to. It depends on your economic strength I guess. If you have a hard time supporting your fleet you should reduce the size. Defending planets with STOs is maintenance free and frees up ships.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 07:51:20 AM »
None of my campaigns have ever survived that long!  :o

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 10:48:21 AM »
Total Empire population is just over 14 billion. Two home worlds were almost depopulated. One by my ground invasion, the second by one of the NPRs I conquered who was at war with every one, I think by a ground invasion as there was no radioactivity. Those two world have only 1 - 1.5 billion each while Earth and the third home world have well in excess of 5 billion.

When you are fighting a war on three fronts you need a lot of ships! For decade I had to blockade the jump points, although I could have reduced their endurance from 4 to three years. Most fleets consisted of 15-20 cruisers and later had a squadron of CLE AMM ships added as they were captured. until the last 15 years there were only 4 fleets with the 4th being significantly under strength. A lot of the maintenance problem was the NPR home systems and adjacent systems were more or less mined out. So gallicite and uridium had to be imported from the other end of the Empire, (and one home world losing all its industry to invasion). But until the home worlds were conquered it was the best game in C# I have had. There may be evidence of Star Swarm but I have not met them yet.
IanD

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 01:19:47 PM »
Would you be willing to sell your beefed up PC?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think your fleet is above average because i have a good PC and my games just slow to a crawl by this point.

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 01:38:15 PM »
Would you be willing to sell your beefed up PC?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think your fleet is above average because i have a good PC and my games just slow to a crawl by this point.

My game was killed by an invasion of a jungle rift-valley world with 40k tons of defenders spotted from orbit. After that the save's size ballooned and everything became significantly slower, especially saving.

But now back to topic. With your population you should easily be able to support a large economy. If you get those people enough jobs in manufacturing and mining. The productivity and build cost seems to grow at the same pace in my games. So I would think these fleets should be affordable. The problem I am seeing is a fast expansion of the navy without sufficient support infrastructure. That can really break one's back. During war times it might have happened to me as well that I underestimated fuel requirements or galicite demand.

I have never played a round for so long though. I do not see how you may have failed to build sufficient transports for mineral transportation though.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 01:40:14 PM by kilo »

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 04:16:08 PM »
My game was killed by an invasion of a jungle rift-valley world with 40k tons of defenders spotted from orbit. After that the save's size ballooned and everything became significantly slower, especially saving.

Sounds like an issue with too many logs in the DB. The amount of logs created during large ground combat increases more or less quadratically with the amount of defenders present, and defensible terrain lengthens combat even more.
You can try to delete ground combat logs (or just every log older than x months, as an alternative), vacuum the DB, and see if that helps performance.

Re: Topic
No, I've generally played smaller games. Conquer maybe one homeworld, a million tons or military ships or so.

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 04:05:25 AM »
I have only explored 156 systems and fully surveyed 122. I have 80 freighters all with two standard transport holds so transport isn't the problem. Fuel isn't really a problem abet with occasional local shortages. (shortage of tankers?)

The problem is I can't seem to generate enough mines. As I said two of the NPRs suffered significant loss of industry, one total. So systems at one end of the Empire run out of strategic minerals. I have even managed to produce enough maintenance facilities. But all large deposits of minerals are at one end of the Empire, two home worlds at the other and there are only two multi-million ton deposits of gallicite at the other extreme from where its required. My mining capacity is only 42 tons so perhaps that is my problem? (Two NPRs are 8 jumps from Sol, 12 jumps from the nearest big gallicite deposit.)

PS. my laptop is an i7 that is over 5 years old. There were a few periods when I was on 5 sec turns when two of the NPRs were knocking seven bells out of each other resulting in several hundred wrecks in not a few systems. Compared to VB6 C# is great.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 04:08:15 AM by IanD »
IanD

The following users thanked this post: RougeNPS

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 09:32:37 AM »
I have only explored 156 systems and fully surveyed 122. I have 80 freighters all with two standard transport holds so transport isn't the problem. Fuel isn't really a problem abet with occasional local shortages. (shortage of tankers?)

The problem is I can't seem to generate enough mines. As I said two of the NPRs suffered significant loss of industry, one total. So systems at one end of the Empire run out of strategic minerals. I have even managed to produce enough maintenance facilities. But all large deposits of minerals are at one end of the Empire, two home worlds at the other and there are only two multi-million ton deposits of gallicite at the other extreme from where its required. My mining capacity is only 42 tons so perhaps that is my problem? (Two NPRs are 8 jumps from Sol, 12 jumps from the nearest big gallicite deposit.)

PS. my laptop is an i7 that is over 5 years old. There were a few periods when I was on 5 sec turns when two of the NPRs were knocking seven bells out of each other resulting in several hundred wrecks in not a few systems. Compared to VB6 C# is great.

I have 80 freighters with 1 large cargo hold each for manual transport of installations and a couple of mineral fleets, which consist of one or two ships of the same type. I can be hard pressed when setting up new colonies, but otherwise I am fine when it comes to freighters. My tankers are problematic during longer wars, as I have two groups, which are draining the sorium miners and three fleets with 120 million liters of capacity each for colony/fleet resupply. This can be insufficient at the fringe of my empire , but I tend to have stockpiles for a few month of combat everywhere.

Offline nakorkren

• Lt. Commander
  • n
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 09:45:23 PM »
So what IS a typical mil fleet tonnage to pop ratio? The two data points so far are 4m/14b and 2m/3b, which are very different! I think I'm at around 600k/2b, with one conquered alien homeworld which I captured mostly intact.

Anyone else care to weigh in, pardon the pun?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 09:56:43 PM »
So what IS a typical mil fleet tonnage to pop ratio? The two data points so far are 4m/14b and 2m/3b, which are very different! I think I'm at around 600k/2b, with one conquered alien homeworld which I captured mostly intact.

Anyone else care to weigh in, pardon the pun?

I wouldn't consider anything "typical". It depends so much on game settings, game progress (you lose more ships if you fight a lot of wars, for instance), design philosophy, economic strategy, and refitting vs building new ships.

In my current main campaign I have 700k tons and 2.4b race population, however I have fought many battles and lost some 200k tons, so had I not fought any wars I could have 900k tons by now. At the same time I have around 10m tons of commercial ships, so the ratio could change if I built more naval yards instead of commercial yards for instance. This is also fairly early in the campaign compared to some players who can go 100s of years, by which time things can change quite a lot.

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2021, 09:58:49 PM »
These here: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12319.0

--- In a 12 Billion Pop start, I had 4x Bishop -CV, 8x Intrepid Battlecruisers, 320x Crusader Fighter-Bombers, 16x Marathon Jump Scouts, 4x Troubadour Frigates, 24x Diligent Frigates, and 72x Sprinter Scouts for a total of 2,014,000 tons, or just over 2 Gigatons worth of ships.

Offline nakorkren

• Lt. Commander
  • n
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2021, 10:04:37 PM »
Holy %^#@ xenoscepter, those Biships and Intrepids are huge! Biggest I've built so far is 40k carriers and I thought those were sizeable. I guess I'm only at 2B pop split across several worlds, but still...

The following users thanked this post: xenoscepter

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2021, 10:29:58 PM »
Holy %^#@ xenoscepter, those Biships and Intrepids are huge! Biggest I've built so far is 40k carriers and I thought those were sizeable. I guess I'm only at 2B pop split across several worlds, but still...

--- Incidentally, a single Bishop -CV carries 40K worth of fighters. Your carriers are the size of my fighter wings. Lol.

Offline Dawa1147

• Chief Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2021, 01:07:35 PM »
Unfortunately my 1.13 run has gone the way of the dodo, from vague memory I had like 800kt warships and 8 billion pop during my first war beginning, and it (along with the second war that got started along the way) ended at roughly 2Mt ships and 14 billion pops. However, that includes most of the 800kt ships as I didn't lose many (first war was 1v1v1, managed to avoid much of the fighting until my next gen came online), and most of them are VERY outdated (like, magneto-plasma carriers and jump tenders only good for rimworld defense fighters). On the other hand, my growth was restricted due to a severe gallacite shortage limiting the amount of beam ships I could build. (doctrine was beam and missile fighters, more or less).